NorAm prep and course

sibhusky

I thought you'd all be interested in the preparations going on for the NorAms starting tomorrow. There will be two Super G's for the men, two for the ladies, and two downhills for each as well. Due to the fact that downhills involve training runs, our mountain will be partially closed for the next 8 days minimum. Extensive prepartion is necessary to run speed events at this level as the racers typically reach speeds of 70 or so MPH. Race prep netting started going up weeks ago, and due to the constant powder dumps, they've had to work extra hard to harden the course. At these speeds, we don't want ruts and moguls. The race course gets to be like standing on a marble floor that is slanted. Enjoy, and as always, hit your F11 key before starting.

NorAm Prep

Thanks for posting the course map, sib; from the photos I couldn't figure it out. The conditions look great.

Do you work at this event?

I will work Mon, Tues, and Wed, which will be one downhill and two mens' SG's. Unfortunately can't take pictures when you're gatekeeping.

Well, after injuring myself trying to get to the downhills at our NorAms, I had to go to work. I would have called in, because of the pain, but my bosses are away and I knew I'd never get a co-worker to cover for me.

Am I glad I did. Around 2 or so, in walks a girl with a jacket full of sponsor's patches. She looked like a ski racer and frankly I thought I knew who it was. I asked if all the races were done for the day and she said yes. Then I asked how she did and she said she did pretty good, not elaborating. Then I asked did SHE win? and she turned around saying yes and I said, "Aren't you Jonna Mendes?" She was thrilled to be recognized. We talked about the race of course, and a bit about Siblet's racing and naturally talked about the vintage ski memorabilia we sell in the store. She was really really easy and relaxed, nice girl.

In case you don't follow racing, she's been on the US Ski Team for 10 years, a past (not current) Olympian, DH points in the single digits.

Anyway, quite a thrill for me. Naturally, I called Siblet as soon as Jonna left. Siblet had been in the store saying bye to mom before taking off back to college...just 15 minutes before Jonna came in.

Spencer has pelvis, back injuries and concussionAssociated Press

KALISPELL, Mont. -- U.S. ski team member Dane Spencer was seriously injured Tuesday in a fall at Big Mountain.

Spencer, 28, of from Boise, Idaho, was competing in the Doug and Rollie Smith Downhill Race when he fell after a jump.

Spencer was taken to Kalispell Regional Medical Center's intensive care unit, and was listed in serious condition. A hospital nursing supervisor said Spencer had pelvis and back injuries and also had a concussion.

The accident happened on a section of the Ursa Major downhill course called the "Launch Pad," where racers are airborne for 115 feet or more, Big Mountain spokesman Brian Schott told the Daily Inter Lake.

"He fell on landing," Schott said.

Spencer tumbled and slid about 200 yards before stopping, apparently unconscious.

"The visibility was good and the light was good," Schott said. "There were no weather issues going on when the accident occurred."

Spencer placed in the top 30 in every World Cup giant slalom race last year, finished seventh in the 2005 world championships and raced in the 2002 Olympics.

In March 2001, 1984 Olympic downhill winner Bill Johnson sustained serious head injuries after crashing in a downhill race on Big Mountain's Ursa Major course, sliding into netting and course barriers. Johnson had emergency treatment on the mountain and then brain surgery in Kalispell.

Well, the last race was canceled due to high winds. First my garage doors were frozen shut, it took a half an hour to get them open, then when I got to the ski area, it was negative 18 at the summit, winds 15 to 25 mph, which apparently means negative 48 wind chill. I got "paid" for gatekeeping even though I just sat in the Summit House waiting for news on if the race was going to be run. I took a few runs, but even though my body was really warm, it wasn't helping the old feet. Had on two layers of long underwear on legs, four layers on top, full ski outfit, PLUS Eddie Bauer down jacket rated to negative 50, PLUS course worker poncho, plus helmet, mittens and wristies with warmer things in them, neoprene face mask, knit face mask over that, fanny flap. Was plenty warm except for my feet, which were popsicles after one chair ride. Began to fear it was too cold for my plastic boots, which are old, to survive, plus the wax I used a few days back was totally wrong...could point the skis down hill and not go very fast even after several runs. So, came home and will make nice fire in fireplace. Temperature had dropped four degrees since I left in the AM.

Man, that is cold.

Cold feet are always my problem skiing. I can be toasty everywhere else, but my feet are ice cubes. When I was in Colorado the end of January, I managed a little improvement with two changes. First, based on a friends's recommendation, I purchased a pair of Smart Wool socks. I also used foot anti-perspirant to reduce the sweating in my feet. I used the toe warmers only once over four days.

The problem for many people, especially women, is Raynaud's Syndrome. People with this syndrome suffer constriction of blood vessels in their extremeties when it is cold. My older daughter suffers from it; she will have so little blood in her fingers that her fingers look like they are wax. More information is available here http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-128.shtml

I am seriously considering buying a set of battery powered heated foot soles for my boots.

Edited by ole2planker

The problem for many people, especially women, is Raynaud's Syndrome. People with this syndrome suffer constriction of blood vessels in their extremeties when it is cold. My older daughter suffers from it; she will have so little blood in her fingers that her fingers look like they are wax. More information is available here http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-128.shtml

I am seriously considering buying a set of battery powered heated foot soles for my boots.

Yeah, I've often been told that it means my core isn't warm enough. Totally disproved that yesterday, although the feet weren't at the UNSKIABLE stage after one chair ride, so maybe that's what they would have been if I hadn't been so warm everywhere else.

This AM it's minus 8 at the house. Yesterday at this time it was 7 degrees. I am postponing the trip up there an hour or so. I put hard wax on my skis last night, tho, so I need to test that out.