ski size recommendations

BORGATA BOSS

For Bear Creek NASTAR, 180 is good for their straight course, if you are young. Maybe 175 for their offset version or if your hair is gray. Better to err a little short for NASTAR, don't you think, '999?

At his size, I'd probably still go 180...I'm assuming he's also going to want to ski all-mountain stuff. A softer flexing ski like the GS:9 in 180 is what I'm thinking...

this will be a ski I use strictly for nastar. What is the difference between gs and sl?

GS stand for Giant Slalom an SL stands for Slalom - the radius side cut of the ski. the lower the radius number the more "turny" the ski. 14 turns easier than 16 which turns easier than 18 so forth and so on. If you are lazy like me then you will use a slalom ski to run gates with - 12 meter radius :lol - Ubber slow, but easy to handle around the gates. I might suggest a lighter more flexible ski without all the race plate stuff for your first season then as you learn to be more aggressive (laying the ski on edge) move to a stiffer heavier ski. Technique before equipment!

GS stand for Giant Slalom an SL stands for Slalom - the radius side cut of the ski. the lower the radius number the more "turny" the ski. 14 turns easier than 16 which turns easier than 18 so forth and so on. If you are lazy like me then you will use a slalom ski to run gates with - 12 meter radius :lol - Ubber slow, but easy to handle around the gates. I might suggest a lighter more flexible ski without all the race plate stuff for your first season then as you learn to be more aggressive (laying the ski on edge) move to a stiffer heavier ski. Technique before equipment!

GS:9's in a 180cm have a 16m radius, perfect for NASTAR, and are EXTREMELY light...Two of my GS:9's are about the same weight as one of my GS:11's. They're a great ski, and it's what really helped me get into racing! After a season or two on them, and you're arcing them really well, you can step up to it's big brother, the GS:11s :)