Utah

Timeless

Hi all

I've arrived in SLC, but missed out on getting a couple of hours in this afternoon thanks to United airlines being too damn slow :angry:

I took a drive up to solitude / brighton anyway just to have a look, took a couple of snaps, I'll try and attach one.

Going to hit solitude tomorrow as a gentle start to the weekend, I'll post some pics from the hill tomorrow

Edited by Timeless

Ahh thats Mt. Millicent. That high traverse you can see across the top leads to some great drops and chutes just out of bounds at Brighton. Solitude is a great place to start in Utah. That mountain has such a nice flow to alot of its runs. There is some pretty gnarly stuff there on the gated part of the mountain that faces Brighton. Have a great time!

Just got back from an awesome day at Solitude, I was on the first lift and the last lift and managed several "firsts" for me:

first time over 10,000 feet (altitude) without a plane

first time skiing real tree runs

first time I've got to the top of a run and thought "Oh F@#k" but then done it anyway

first bowl

first "chute" (this was the "Oh F..." run)

On the off chance that anyone want to know what the conditions were like, it was mostly lightly frozen powder and groomers at first, which softened up alot during the day but the surface was still fantastic at the close.

My legs are killing me but it's worth it, what an amazing place, I want to live here.

Here's a couple of pic's from the day, ones a view of the base area when I arrived, nicely groomed and with a 16ft base, the other is the view from eagle ridge looking over Honeycomb Canyon, a truly beautiful (but somewhat scary) place to ride, maybe next year I will be good enough to ride the tree runs down the side, for this year I was content to ride the run through the valley floor, which was pretty challenging.

Sounds awesome Timeless. I think we all wish we could be there. Great pics too! :yes

It would be cool to have some PASR's over here, though the locals are friendly enough and I have some friends from colorado coming over to ski/ride with me tomorrow (at Brighton).

Just got back from an awesome day at Solitude, I was on the first lift and the last lift and managed several "firsts" for me:

first time over 10,000 feet (altitude) without a plane

first time skiing real tree runs

first time I've got to the top of a run and thought "Oh F@#k" but then done it anyway

first bowl

first "chute" (this was the "Oh F..." run)

On the off chance that anyone want to know what the conditions were like, it was mostly lightly frozen powder and groomers at first, which softened up alot during the day but the surface was still fantastic at the close.

My legs are killing me but it's worth it, what an amazing place, I want to live here.

Here's a couple of pic's from the day, ones a view of the base area when I arrived, nicely groomed and with a 16ft base, the other is the view from eagle ridge looking over Honeycomb Canyon, a truly beautiful (but somewhat scary) place to ride, maybe next year I will be good enough to ride the tree runs down the side, for this year I was content to ride the run through the valley floor, which was pretty challenging.

Is the second picture lift serviced.

Is the second picture lift serviced.

Not really, you can get a lift to the head of the canyon and there's a very long black diamond run down the canyon floor. The near side of the canyon is all trees and can be accessed from the resort side through a selection of gates, this is really steep and dense tree skiing, the far side (that you can see in the picture) is considered part of the resort but if you want to access it you have to hike it.

I think Brighton has more lift access to the really hardcore stuff, from the solitude summit you can see some amazing looking terrain off of the back of Brighton's peaks. I'll see if I can get some pic's tomorrow.

So, Brighton today. I didn't think anything would beat solitude by any distance, but today was just amazing (I think I'm using that word too often while I'm here).

Rode from open to close again today, only 20 runs but most pretty much top to bottom thanks to the great western and millicent lifts. I'll work out my vertical later but I am exhausted, it felt like 30k+.

Conditions were great all day, loose groomed powder on the trails and 1-2 feet of 3 day old heavy snow in the trees and on the ungroomed slopes (most of the blacks). It was also sunny, 60 degrees (at the base) and truly beautiful. Possible the best day on snow in my (short) time riding.

A couple of pics, one of milly herself (I rode the middle and sides of this today, but not from the peak, you can see where the lift access gets you, the other the side of that peak with the hiking prints of people much braver than me.

Park city tomorrow.