How to mount ski bindings

Timeless

I need to know hw easy / difficult it's going to be if I choose to mount the bindings on my son's new ski's (junior K2 omni's) rather than have the shop do it.

I got a great deal on the ski's at the loft during the summer but I think the bindings there will be much more expensive (even if they mount them for free) than I'll get on-line so I'd like to keep that option open.

Anyone have a step-by-step for someone that's not done it before.

Also, what about DIN settings for someone so small (48" and 50lbs)?

mounting without a jig is gonna be a fun time for you, thats for sure. it can be done, but good luck getting the toe and heel perfectly straight. if they arent, the release won't be spot on, and neither will forward pressure. another thing you have to watch with a kids ski is that it is much thinner, and therefore easier to drill through or bubble out the base than an adult ski. just curious, how much of a deal did you get on the skis? after paying for the mounting charge, it might have come out the same in the end, since most shops offer discounted or free mounting when you purchase multiple items from them.

I need to know hw easy / difficult it's going to be if I choose to mount the bindings on my son's new ski's (junior K2 omni's) rather than have the shop do it.

I got a great deal on the ski's at the loft during the summer but I think the bindings there will be much more expensive (even if they mount them for free) than I'll get on-line so I'd like to keep that option open.

Anyone have a step-by-step for someone that's not done it before.

Also, what about DIN settings for someone so small (48" and 50lbs)?

Buying them there as compared to buying them on line shouldn't be more than 10-20 diff. If you can't afford 20.00 for your kids safety, you shouldn't be skiing. :banghead . Want another opinion? Show this thread to your kids mother,see what she thinks.

Thanks for all the useful, and the less useful responses.

I've already got agreement from the loft that if I buy the mountings there they will fit them for free and I would NEVER do anything to compromise the safety of any of my kids.

I was (and still am) interested in how it's done, as the thought of drilling into new ski's seems a little painful.

Edited by Timeless

Thanks for all the useful, and the less useful responses.

I've already got agreement from the loft that if I buy the mountings there they will fit them for free and I would NEVER do anything to compromise the safety of any of my kids.

I was (and still am) interested in how it's done, as the thought of drilling into new ski's seems a little painful.

tools needed:

Proper jig..$100.00

Vermont Calibrater: $1,000.00 ($300.00 or so to get it calibrated every year)

Special drill bits, $20.00

Certification from Manufacturer $75.00

Drill: $50.00

Glue (not for sniffing (during work hours)):$2.00

All these costs are approximates, but I am sure you get the idea. As far as mounting your own bindings (or someone elses) falls under the catagory, if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it. It is fairly simple work, if you have the proper tools and training (just look at some of the "grunts" working in the back rooms of ski shops ;);))

There is no reason to ever ever ever mount your own skis. You won't have the jigs, you won't have the bits. By the time you buy the bits even, your behind the game in terms of money, and without a jig you'll never get it straight. Not saying you couldn't do it at home, but it wouldn't be cheaper by a long shot. Its basically a clamp that holds the skis, a jig you line up, a drill bit that has a depth set so you can't drill through (easily), and then screw it into the ski with some epoxy in there. Some people say well what if you want to mount them somewhere else on the ski than what the factory says, if you go to a good ski shop and tell them what you want they'll do it.

ADJUSTING the bindings, a lot more plausible, once the bindings are on the ski fiddling with a philips head screw driver on the back and the little tab that moves it forward and back for the pressure, thats something a very small number of people do. If I were a skier like I am a snowboarder, I would at least know how to check the DIN settings and everything so after the shop mounts it you can check. Everyone takes it on faith that the shop doesnt' fuck up, but its a possiblity so why not know what it should look like?

Not to mention at home you won't be able to test the mountain pressure without again, another jig and a calibrated tool. So all around, just go spend the money and get the fucking thing done at a shop. You don't change the airbags in your car yourself why would you change your own bindings.

Oh and that applies mostly to kids skis, twin tips, or Rossi. Throwing bindings on anything with a system like the Atomics or Volkl, just slid the frickin binding on and follow the instructions online and it isn't too hard. Its just drilling a bunch of holes in a ski to set up something that has very small tolerances is not something to be done free hand.