Tune a new board or skis?

JDSCHMOO22

Since there's always debates on whether or not rub on wax is effective, let's add this to the debate. When you buy new skis or a board, do you get it "tuned" or do you just ride it the way it was when you bought it. I've asked this at a couple of different stores, and got a different answer at each. I've always had a new board "tuned" by the store where I bought it, but it's usually included in the deal. Heck, I don't even know what they do other then hot wax it. What if you bought a board online? Just looking for opinions since some friends and I were talking about this...........

Edited by JDSCHMOO22

if it comes straight from the factory, its ready to ride. some skis/boards might need a wax job (line in particular is notorious for dry bases) but other than that, the edges and structure should all be ok.

For the average person, yes, you can just go out and ski on them. Most skis, however, come with shipping wax that you probably want to scrape off before taking them out. And all bases on new skis are dry. They are not saturated with wax yet. It takes MANY waxings before the skis see any use before they're saturated. Brand new bases will suck up so much wax, and as more and more wax penetrates into the base after repeated waxings, they'll become saturated and they'll be the fastest they can be :) I always reset my edge bevels on new skis to exactly what I want, and plus, I trust my hand tools more then I do a machine doing the side bevel. So yes, you COULD ski brand new skis, but I'd recommend getting them waxed if you're not doing the work, but if you're doing the work, reset the bevels and give them a minimum of 10 waxings before they ever see any use. I waxed Doug's brand new skis 4 times before they saw any use, but I had limited time (one night) to do it, and they were dry after one days use, which goes to show much wax it really takes. I'll wax my new skis probably 20 times each before they use any use, and they get waxed after every use.

For the average person, yes, you can just go out and ski on them. Most skis, however, come with shipping wax that you probably want to scrape off before taking them out. And all bases on new skis are dry. They are not saturated with wax yet. It takes MANY waxings before the skis see any use before they're saturated. Brand new bases will suck up so much wax, and as more and more wax penetrates into the base after repeated waxings, they'll become saturated and they'll be the fastest they can be :) I always reset my edge bevels on new skis to exactly what I want, and plus, I trust my hand tools more then I do a machine doing the side bevel. So yes, you COULD ski brand new skis, but I'd recommend getting them waxed if you're not doing the work, but if you're doing the work, reset the bevels and give them a minimum of 10 waxings before they ever see any use. I waxed Doug's brand new skis 4 times before they saw any use, but I had limited time (one night) to do it, and they were dry after one days use, which goes to show much wax it really takes. I'll wax my new skis probably 20 times each before they use any use, and they get waxed after every use.

jeff you're the exception. i wax my gear maybe 20 times a season, and thats still a ton more than most people. you're right, to really soak a base with wax, it takes a few wax jobs, but for most of us, we dont need 20 ha

I didn't think there was much debate on rub on wax. It stays on for about a run and doesn't do a whole lot of good.

New gear is gonna be on the dry side of things and as Jeff mentioned if you really want to have your gear prime you will probably wax several times before you hit the snow. If you wax every time you ride, then waxing before you ever hit snow makes sense. If you wax a few times a season, it's probably over kill to wax new gear more than once. Shops will simply tune the edges and wax. If they are doing anything more on a brand new board, they probably should be shot. :devil:

jeff you're the exception. i wax my gear maybe 20 times a season, and thats still a ton more than most people. you're right, to really soak a base with wax, it takes a few wax jobs, but for most of us, we dont need 20 ha

Nothing wrong with taking proper care of your gear, and it only makes skiing more enjoyable. Skis are easier to turn and glide when waxed :)