people can be quite stupid

tell_them_nothing

Ok, heres "the deal" people so listen up. I've been browsing over the various topics and I must say some of you people flat out disgust me. Why in the name of god you think Bear is out to make your life miserable is beyond me. Let me just say that if Bear could be open now, they would be, so sit down a minute and think. The temperature has been well above average for the past few months. Blame El Nino on that one, and blame global warming for El Nino in the first place. Now as human beings we can do things to slow global warming by recylcling, alternative fuel, blah blah blah, you dont want to hear me go into one of my enviromental rants.

Now yes Bear has missed some days blowing snow. Their excuse was that the water temperature was too warm. Wouldn't you know they were telling the truth! Imagine that... a ski resort that realizes lying to its customers is a bad way to actually get people to ride at their resort. Yes they were only open for four days, and yes we may only get a month and a half long season, but until Bear has plans on building one of those new weather changing machines you're just going to have to deal with the fact that we have all chosen a very risky hobby here. It depends on the weather which is incredibly fickle, and you picked one of the best areas to practice said hobby in; the mid atlantic. By now you kids should realize we very rarely get good winters. Hell, it actually being cold here is almost the exception, not the rule in winter.

I had a look at accuweather recently. It looks bad, really really really bad. I hate to be a downer here but it looks like the next time they can blow snow will be next wednesday. Im sure that gets pushed back though. After all, first it was going to get cold saturday, then monday, then tuesday. After that we get maybe five nights were they can blow snow. Then it gets warm again. If they open by the end of January it'll be early.

Yes it sucks. Yes its lame. Yes it makes you so angry you want to stab someone in the eye with a barbacue fork, but we all have to live with the fact that we live in fucking southeastern PA, in a global enviroment that is known to be in a warming trend.

So dont blame the snowmakers, the managment, the resort itself, el-nino, the government, Bush, communists, or even yourself for exhaling and thus adding more CO2 into our atmosphere. Dont blame anyone really because its nobody's fault right now. Except maybe your own immature pysche for posting some nonsense and swear words somewhere on this forum.

Now sit down and be quite, winter will be with you momentarily.

hopefully the bad weather will weed out some of the more clueless

bad seasons have a way of disillusioning some of the more faint of heart ^_^

I remember my dad saying that before they had large usage of snowmaking they'd only be open for a few weeks out of the year. When they finally got a few portable guns they'd have skiing on one trail at a time, maybe they'd get most of the mountain open if the weather coperated.

We've come a long way but kids always want more I guess.

You're completely right, but people are just jonesing. They're grasping at anything at this point because they're upset they can't ski. They're not actually upset at management, communists, etc for what's going on, they just have some rage they need to place somewhere, and what better way than venting on the internet. As much as I disagree with all the rants and BS, I understand some people yell instead of crying... That's my 2 cents.

hopefully the bad weather will weed out some of the more clueless

bad seasons have a way of disillusioning some of the more faint of heart ^_^

I remember my dad saying that before they had large usage of snowmaking they'd only be open for a few weeks out of the year. When they finally got a few portable guns they'd have skiing on one trail at a time, maybe they'd get most of the mountain open if the weather coperated.

We've come a long way but kids always want more I guess.

ahhh takes me back to the good old days. HAHAHA j/k but i def agree with you, 100%

Good post, I agree with that, Bear creek has been screwed by the weather harder than anyone else. Now Mountain Creek - we can blame their management all day because they didn't make snow for the first snowmaking window, and then skipped 2 out of 4 nights on the second snowmaking window. But where as Mountain Creek had marginal conditions so didn't want to make snow because it is more expensive per cubic yard of snow, Bear had weather that was impossible to make snow in.

please make snow wednsday and thursday, PLEASE. And open up on new years eve...

not with the current temps

check accuweather

Im shooting for January 15. They missed Christmas and New Years, they're not going to want to miss another holiday.

the problem is, bear cant rely on their passholders. they dont see it as any profit. not alotta people have passes to spring, so when they have nights like student night or so, the people that come to spring go because of their location or to just learn and just pay to ride for a bit. they dont relaly mind the shitty conditions, i mean its hella lot closer than bear to most people. but no one other than the passholders would drive all the way down to bear with the shitty conditions other than the passholders. hence no profit for bear, i mean the people that would be willing to drive down to bear without passes are minimal. noone in their right minds without a pass isnt gonna drive that distance and pay for the cost of the lift ticket for the conditions nowadays. if you count the costs of actually opening the mountain for a day(run the lifts, pay the employees, etc) and minus that by the actual people who pay for each lift ticket, the cost of keeping the mountain running would highlu outweigh the actual profit comingin that day. which is why the only people you hear complaining about bear not opening are the passsholders who spent a hefty amount of their teenage wealth into passes.

Edited by live2snowboard

yeah i saw that. doesnt make sense.id be interested to see what shape the trails are in though. i think spring also made snow a few more days then bear did so maybe thats it.

According to Spring Mountain's site, they have 2 trails, 2 lifts open, with beginner to intermediate terrain (though, really, can any terrain in PA be considered "advanced" or "expert"?). One trail has some rails and boxes. While I'm sure that it takes much less to cover their not so expansive terrain down there, at least they have something open.

I just got back yesterday from a trip to Utah (mmm, real snow!), so I haven't exactly been "missing" BC's terrain - but now that I'm back, I know I'm going to want to stretch the legs with my pass that was not free - heading up to Blue or JFBB (as suggested in some other threads) defeats the purpose of buying a pass to one mountain since that's completely out of pocket.

-kevin

at this current time theres barely any snow. but its how they used the snow they made. they easily coulda used the snow to keep a more sustained mountain that wuold still be open like spring. im not saying i hate bear or its anyones fault other than the rich bastards at southern management. their focusing more on the earning money part than satisfying the passholder part. i mean you cant relaly blame them. still they need to take into consideration of the beginning of next season when the same passholders are debating to make the same mistake again. perhaps bear will make up for it for the rest of the season. hopefully anyway.

at this current time theres barely any snow. but its how they used the snow they made. they easily coulda used the snow to keep a more sustained mountain that wuold still be open like spring. im not saying i hate bear or its anyones fault other than the rich bastards at southern management. their focusing more on the earning money part than satisfying the passholder part. i mean you cant relaly blame them. still they need to take into consideration of the beginning of next season when the same passholders are debating to make the same mistake again. perhaps bear will make up for it for the rest of the season. hopefully anyway.

How could they have used their snow better?????? do you think if they didnt build the lips up to the rails that they had out that they coulda been open another day??? NO..... come on people you all think you could do a better job, then why dont you go and buy the mountain and we'll see how good of a job you can do running it. I think they made the right choice by putting out as many rails as they can, i think it brought in alot more people then if they would have just opened the trails. Also their are alot of other conditions that contribute to bear losing their snow so fast.... such as traffic on the snow- Bear was pretty crowded for the couple of days tey were open and that really put a hurting on the snow with the little base they had. Another big one is the way the mountain faces, Bear gets such a ridiculous amount of sunlight this time of year that the snow melts at such a faster rate then it would at any other mtn. Combine those 2 things with the fact that they only had what like 3 or 4 days blowing snow and i think they did a pretty good job for what they had to work with, they are getting screwed over so far this year and theirs nothing anybody can do...As for satisfying their passholders, i think thats why they opened with 13 jibs (more then anyone else in PA on opening day), to satisfy their passholders. Probably not to many people realize it but park crew built all those lips by hand because they couldnt take a groomer on the snow. I think they did EVERYTHING they could to try and satisfy their passholders...

hey dont get wrong, there were alotta factors that led to bears conditions right now. im not implying that they purposedly screwed themselves over. but you have a point, bear did have an amazing day. and im definitly not saying i, myself, could have done a better job, all im stating is that their probably could have been a way to utilize the snow made to make it a little more sustainable. the reason that they put 13 jibs up, wasnt to satisfy the passholders, bear already knows that all the passholders are gonna come opening day, but it was to attract non-passholders. i mean that might not have been their only focus but definitly one of their main ones.

hey dont get wrong, there were alotta factors that led to bears conditions right now. im not implying that they purposedly screwed themselves over. but you have a point, bear did have an amazing day. and im definitly not saying i, myself, could have done a better job, all im stating is that their probably could have been a way to utilize the snow made to make it a little more sustainable. the reason that they put 13 jibs up, wasnt to satisfy the passholders, bear already knows that all the passholders are gonna come opening day, but it was to attract non-passholders. i mean that might not have been their only focus but definitly one of their main ones.

so they would have been open five days instead of four?

The long range forecast is calling for maybe 5 nights of snowmaking in the next 15 days. I think I said somewhere that they'd be open by the 15th. Now Im not entirely sure that'll happen.

so tell me, how could they have utilized their snow better to be able to stay open through all this?

oh

and BC has got to be at least like...twice the size of my backyard

besides, how much base does Spring have?

Edited by tell_them_nothing

Date: Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Conditions: We have a wet granular surface on an 8 to 16 inch base. There are 2 slopes and 2 lifts open with beginer to intermediate terrain. The doors to the lodge open 8:30 this morning and the lifts start at 9:00. Lift tickets are $25.

Trail Status:Alpine- Open Fawn- Open w/rails & boxes

....looking at their webcam, i would compare their base right now to BC's 2nd day base. I dont know how they pulled that off:huh: