MC Why?

Franklin

Now, this thread is coming from someone who is more than satisfied collecting snow from a ice rink and putting it on a bump in Kevin's backyard. Last night I was at MC for a little night session with Kevin. I know that the snow is scarce on our mountain but the need for more features is a necessity. It doesnt take much nowadays to make snowboarders happy--grow a box on a 30 foot stretch of snow and you made someone's day. The crowds in from of that 30ft box last night was ridiculous. There had to be close to 40+ kids waiting to hit that thing at its peak--that crazy!! Put another feature somewhere and break up the crowds. I have this conversation with my buddies all the time and it just does not make sense. Is someone really lazy? Or is there other factors that I have not discovered in my pondering. I dont want to compare ( but I will)-- there are other mountains that are pushing on a daily bases to get more features on the mountain and I know there's no snow but let's make it appear like we're progressive in make MC a snowboarders mountain. It's sad. :confused

Now, this thread is coming from someone who is more than satisfied collecting snow from a ice rink and putting it on a bump in Kevin's backyard. Last night I was at MC for a little night session with Kevin. I know that the snow is scarce on our mountain but the need for more features is a necessity. It doesnt take much nowadays to make snowboarders happy--grow a box on a 30 foot stretch of snow and you made someone's day. The crowds in from of that 30ft box last night was ridiculous. There had to be close to 40+ kids waiting to hit that thing at its peak--that crazy!! Put another feature somewhere and break up the crowds. I have this conversation with my buddies all the time and it just does not make sense. Is someone really lazy? Or is there other factors that I have not discovered in my pondering. I dont want to compare ( but I will)-- there are other mountains that are pushing on a daily bases to get more features on the mountain and I know there's no snow but let's make it appear like we're progressive in make MC a snowboarders mountain. It's sad. :confused

More features are coming. Have you considered talking with JibLab and expressing your concerns?

Unfortunately the weather is really holding back what can be done. Are you comparing it to other mountains that have nothing more than a park? If so, they will logically try to have as many features out as possible. MC probably has more usuable terrrain open now than other mountains in the area. Sure others may say they have more "runs" open, but when you add up the square footage they do not add up to a whole lot.

I do aggree, the crowds right now are getting way too big what what is open. It is just going to get worse unless winter actually gets here sometime soon.

That is the driving reason the Jib Lab guys wanted out of MC. oh! whats with the girl I saw at BB Tuesday with the Pinky hat saying how great MC is. weird how loyal people are to thier home mountains.

Haha, they "left" MC... just like they "left" BB... it is funny how it is always someone elses fault.

You should be grateful to have ANY features with this weather. Trust me I'm sure the MC park crew is working their asses off to maintain hittable features with 50 degree weather....MC is also much much warmer compared to PA.

Seriously folks complaning about having a shitty park, bugging the park crew, etc wont put snow on the mountain. Just sit tight and wait it out until we get a cold rush. The mountain staff and park crew are feeling the same way you are...if they could do it, they would....but they cant.

Edited by justin

You can't fit too much more in Exhibition than that. The most I've ever seen in there was 2 jumps and 3 rails, mid season. Maybe 4 rails if they had plenty of snow. I'm not sure how wide it is right now but the right hand side is a ditch for the old half pipe (why don't they level that out?).

I don't see why they couldn't setup some rails at the base of Bear and make them hikeable considering bear is closed now anyway. People riding park aren't taking the lift right now anyway.

Are you comparing it to other mountains that have nothing more than a park? If so, they will logically try to have as many features out as possible. MC probably has more usuable terrrain open now than other mountains in the area. Sure others may say they have more "runs" open, but when you add up the square footage they do not add up to a whole lot.

I call bull on that and bull on the ParkLogic comment. They were at Creek for a long time, every local knew the snowmaking has been a problem for the park. Last year, there were plenty of nights they would blow on one trail or another, but the capacity is not there to blow on the park and a few trails at the same time. So the other trails take precedence, and the JibLab guys have no snow to work with. Their leaving JFBB, who knows, but I think this season is an example of why they left for JFBB. JFBB has plenty of snow and Mountain Creek has zip.

I know its colder in the poconos, but Creek skipped the first window of snowmaking weather, and the first 2 nights of the second. I remember bitching about it. One of the best nights of the (short) snowmaking season was their 'testing their guns' night. Maybe they have more snow than hidden valley, but they don't have as much as Blue or Camelback, and def not as much as JFBB.

You can't fit too much more in Exhibition than that. The most I've ever seen in there was 2 jumps and 3 rails, mid season. Maybe 4 rails if they had plenty of snow. I'm not sure how wide it is right now but the right hand side is a ditch for the old half pipe (why don't they level that out?).

I don't see why they couldn't setup some rails at the base of Bear and make them hikeable considering bear is closed now anyway. People riding park aren't taking the lift right now anyway.

I call bull on that and bull on the ParkLogic comment. They were at Creek for a long time, every local knew the snowmaking has been a problem for the park. Last year, there were plenty of nights they would blow on one trail or another, but the capacity is not there to blow on the park and a few trails at the same time. So the other trails take precedence, and the JibLab guys have no snow to work with. Their leaving JFBB, who knows, but I think this season is an example of why they left for JFBB. JFBB has plenty of snow and Mountain Creek has zip.

I know its colder in the poconos, but Creek skipped the first window of snowmaking weather, and the first 2 nights of the second. I remember bitching about it. One of the best nights of the (short) snowmaking season was their 'testing their guns' night. Maybe they have more snow than hidden valley, but they don't have as much as Blue or Camelback, and def not as much as JFBB.

And why did they waste all that snow on the tubing park? Had they thrown that snowmaking power at Exhibition they would have more snow to work with. But they didn't care, they put it on the tubing trail to try and get that open. Well compare that to JFBB, they have a crap load of trails open right now, but not any tubing. Their priority was on the riding and skiing. Not the people tubing and going into 'ski town' shops that they hope to attract. (Like you can ever create a ski town in Vernon anyway)

The weather hasn't changed much in the last twenty years in vernon, every year they have this problem. Maybe they should boost their air capacity so they can make snow at warmer temperatures, at a faster rate, to take advantage of shorter snowmaking windows. Oh wait, thats crazy talk, it would require spending money.

Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in for a quick elaboration on the park status and some of the issues brought up in this thread... FYI, the whole JibLab crew and park staff are all riders, If the world were perfect we would have terrain park features from the top of south all the way to the base area. No one here is lazy, in fact we are all very ambitious, anxious, and antsy for winter to really kick in. The reason why we do not have more than 2 features set up is plain and simple... There is absolutely not enough snow! Keep in mind, we are a resort and have to abide by the codes to ensure that our park is safe at all times. We have more features just waiting at the base of south and on the side of exhibition just waiting to get put back in to the snow! However, when your dealing with a base of 3" at best... there isn't even enough snow to push a new takeoff, let alone trying to bury the feet of the feature...

Listen guys, we wish we could do more... we really do... We are going through just as much pain and aggravation as you are. As soon as we get the weather we need, I can guarantee we will not let you down.

Let's all be patient and hope mother nature lends a hand...

-Marc

I have no doubt when the weather comes back, they will blow a lot of snow and you guys will get a decent park setup. My main question is whether or not Intrawest will blow snow on all the park trails now that hte season is shorter. Since the Grand Prix is gone, at what point do they can the Superpipe and use the snowmaking budget on Independance. If you compare the number of people on the super pipe to hte number of people riding through the main park, the money is much better spent on more snow to make more features in the main park. It takes a massive amount of snow to get open, and when it melts it becomes useless. At least if you build a jump and it melts, you can push it out to cover the trail and put up some rails.