January pictures at Big Mountain

sibhusky

Not that often. I used to try it now and again when it was just Friday and Saturday, but as it gets darker the nuts come out in force. I like the 5 to 6 PM time, but by 7:30 there are drunks bombing straight down the hill and it is DEFINITELY not as well lit as Camelback was. So, combine soft snow and someone straightlining and you don't even know they hit you until you are in heaven.

For every picture I looked at, I said WOW.

How's the coverage? Is it thin, or is lots of snow? Those dark storm clouds look like there will be ALOT OF SNOW :wiggle

Coverage is good. So good in fact that going down the face in some flat light I had NO idea I was on a large boulder until I started to come over its top and oops, there was all this rock. Didn't fall, but added some more scratches to my bases (nowhere near as bad as I expected).

The NWS is forecasting that the mountain will get 28 more inches between now and Monday morning. I have to work the next three days, but will have all that nice stuff to play in on Monday.

Yesterday was FANTASTIC on the face. The snow was dense enough to provide support and light enough to not worry about catching an edge in the chop. Young men who were more athletic than I were popping down without a stop whooping.