Camelback's new pipe taking shape!

sethsev7n

Camelback has a new photo up of the Zaugg doing some preliminary shaping before more snowmaking.. looks like the pipe is taking shape. It looks great so far, and judging by the one photo it looks like there will be plenty of tranny room, which was a problem on the old pipe. Anyways, I wish I was home to check it out!

daily_hi_1.jpg

hey all i know is this what i've been looking forward too all year a decent sized, well groomed pipe. I'm excited.

as for the tranny, i rode a pipe about this size is squaw valley, bout 11-12 feet, and i tranny room looks just about the same which is great cuz the pipe that week rode very well. either way it is better to have too much tranny room than too little. Too little then the pipe will become taco which mens people stickin thier noses into the walls while trying to pump.

Well right now they look to be about 10 feet, but keep in mind this isnt a final grooming, they are just shaping the pipe and then making more snow. However you're right, there needs to be more height. With any luck it will be pushed past 13 feet, now that would be nice!

I posted the pic in another MB for comments. My comment was probably premature. The concensus was that is a picture of first cuts based on the angle of the cutter and the flatness of transition and the rough lip.

its definiteley at least 10-13 feet right now, zauggs are real real big

The Zaugg in that picture is the 13' model. Zaugg refers to the 8' and 13' pipes as beginner! LOL!!!!!!!

The Zaugg Pipe Designer Inline is the original Zaugg pipe groomer. Available in an 8 foot and a 13 foot elliptical shape, the PDI is ideal for building smaller beginner pipes.

If anyone is interested in the finer details of pipe building here is what Zaugg reccommends:

http://www.zauggamerica.com/resort/pipegroomers/pipe.shtml enjoy!

Edited by Papasteeze

yea actually the first few cuts aren't even close to full height on the wall - if you look on the zaugg it does a bit of the floor too. If they don't have extra height to work later what happens is you actually get like a W shape - there is a bump in the middle from running the zuagg over the walls so many times - it makes a drainage ditch at the bottom of the wall and then the middle of the pipe is higher. It has happened to some pipes late season after a lot of cutting on the walls if they're not careful - and it is very hard to correct other than scraping out the middle of the pipe which is bad for obvious reasons.

13 foot should be a pretty good size. Although superpipes are a lot easier - they suck up so much snow its not all that practical. I think having an extra 3 days of riding on a 13 foot pipe is better than the amount of days you can get on a super pipe. Plus most people are scared off by a super pipe - which is nice cuz the grooming holds up- but the first few times they drop in they learn nothing other than holy crap a 19 foot drop in is high.

Camelbacks pipe was beat on sunday. They need to schedule the cutter to recut Saturday night. Couple of people I know said it was nice on Saturday. Sounds like saturday traffic tore it up? Nips said there was only one really decent hit in it, he did however add that it was better than nothing.

Hey CB, live up to your marketing in the Camelback Magazine - something about a competition ready pipe all the time........??? I'll have to find it and quote the article another time.