SL PA Cup Report for Tussey

skidude

Saturday and Sunday were SL PA Cups at Tussey. For anyone who has never had the pleasure of going there, its about 400-450 vert, 2ish runs off the top, and seems to be windy, always.

The weather was chilly on saturday (high of around 18 and breezy) and cold on sunday (high of about 10, and windy).

There course starts with a headwall (8-9 gates) then a flat (10 gates) then another headwall (8 gates) then a flat stretch to the finish.

They set some pretty fun courses to ski. Saturday they apparently had run away gatekeepers who took the tickets and disappeared. So that delayed the race for a while. We ran, I had a slight shinguard malfunction (need more ducttape :banghead ) but finished 20th (about 80 guys). Second run I skied a little better (ducttaped my shinguards to my leg). I ended up finishing 20th overall, but had a faster second run than first, when most of the top guys had a slower second run. I had the top CB guys finish (which may or may not be a good thing...)

Today first run was set similar to yesterdays second run. Can anyone say crankers out of the hairpins? (For what that means to anyone...) I was 19th after first run, so I was starting second run 10th. I finanlly get a good run going 2nd run, really attacking the course, driving down the hill. At the bottom, there was a hairpin, two gates, and another hairpin, which I was trying to set up for. Ending up hooking a tip entering the hairpin, loosing a ski, rolling over the double gates in the hairpin, and hitting a bamboo outside gate, and slamming my head somewhere along the line. I slid off the course, and when I looked up and was seeing what was going on, I saw like 4 guys all running over to me. I was trying to figure out if I was ok, (apparently along with everyone who was coming over), and felt like I had no major issues, but lots of pain. And I hope thats the end of the story, but it hurts to walk now, and I'm not all too sure about the details of the crash, because I'm just going on what people told me. I was told that it was the best crash anyone saw all weekend, and random people who I never saw before were coming up to me inside and asking if I was alright. Anyway like I said, I'm hoping thats the end of the story...

I love freezing my balls off to slide down the hill!! :wiggle

I wish, and again, I wish. 121 race points with an 81 point penatly. I'm at 212 now, and thats 202. So it will help a little.

I'm trying to get them under 200.

Ohh yeah, I also managed to break the inside lense on my goggles. Not sure how you break that without breaking the outside one too, but who knows...

I wish, and again, I wish. 121 race points with an 81 point penatly. I'm at 212 now, and thats 202. So it will help a little.

I'm trying to get them under 200.

Ohh yeah, I also managed to break the inside lense on my goggles. Not sure how you break that without breaking the outside one too, but who knows...

Man, PA races get beaten down with those penalties. I was looking around at some midwest races on crappy courses, with high point kids, and they were in the 60's. And even with Randy and Dustin last year, you guys were in the 80's...that really sucks, but oh, well.

I sure never broke an inside lens...so now it's new poles and a new lens...hope you don't need a new leg, too.

Not sure. I think I finished 28 at CB (but that was GS on my home hill).

Blue this Friday and Sat...I'm ready to hit top 20 again...

Yeah, 28th, but the Corchnoy wasn't a Cup.

You can nail a top 10 at Blue, but not unless your ready to risk it. Did you see the Buck Hill story in Ski Mag? The little girl imitating Coach Sailer "Ski like the Devil is chasing you"---or something like that. That's a great saying. And the story about how he'd swing a gate at the passing racers, trying to get them to go faster. The faster they were going, the less it hurt...

This is your shot, 'Dude...take it...

Wow... for the first time in racing history 'dude and I have something in common. I hooked a gate today also... (I also broke another one) That sucks dude. I hope you're ok. The text you sent earlier was somewhat incoherent... lol. Something about your crash and alex... right. Oh well, go get 'em next week, Bode. :rock

I read the story on Buck Hill..written by Joe Cutts whose a member of the Ski Vermont Discussion List...wow Blue seems like Jackson compared to Buck Hill..

My fear in racing is hooking a gate and doing a skidude..so I ski too far away from the gates..anyway congrats on your good start

Its pretty hard to hook a tip if your running GS. I'm deffinatly thinking that run would have been like 5-10th place run :banghead

But I suppose they don't count if you dont' finish :crymore:

Probably skip spring mountain tomorrow, and hit BC on Wed night in the GS skis :rolleyes:

I read the story on Buck Hill..written by Joe Cutts whose a member of the Ski Vermont Discussion List...wow Blue seems like Jackson compared to Buck Hill..

My fear in racing is hooking a gate and doing a skidude..so I ski too far away from the gates..anyway congrats on your good start

Like 'Dude said, the more aggressive you are in GS, the further your skis are from the gates. I bet 'Dude used to hear this in his sleep: "GET YOUR FEET OUT FROM UNDER YER BODY!!!"

LOL, I'll ditch pool in 3 weeks when I get back from NY maybe... don't know... i'm on a very tight budget right now. Might mean I'd have to miss on a night at Blue for a course thats longer where I can get more runs in without Jeff and Doug being there... hmm... tough decision.

LOL, I'll ditch pool in 3 weeks when I get back from NY maybe... don't know... i'm on a very tight budget right now. Might mean I'd have to miss on a night at Blue for a course thats longer where I can get more runs in without Jeff and Doug being there... hmm... tough decision.

Hey, Metzy, are you a 10,000 poster Doug-like guy on a pool message board?

I guess thats what happens when your home mountain is homeless..lol

They had a nice little kicker set up and a few rails...

Good point. The homeless thing is a little old, (from back before sno opened) so I was hesitant to put down my home mountian as one I've never technically gone to. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the fact that I was out here from the context of my posts for the past 2 years though. :lol:

The kicker is news to me, last week it was only 3 rails and a box, the box being the only thing anyone was actually hitting. And 'Dude, what did you think of that sweet quad, :lol: its definately the only one like it I've ever seen.

Ski- Actually i've never posted on a pool message board. People who can really play know the number one rule. You don't talk about how good you are. ever.

FGT- A cranker is the reason I DQ'ed yesterday, though mine was a much lesser magnitude than 'dude's I'm sure. I always miss coming out of the hairpin... damn Bode syndrome.

Here's my 0.02: The 'dude looked smooth all weekend, improving each run, until the fatefull fall at the end of his last run. His girlfriend kept him warm - a distinct advantage over the sorry souls who were left to shiver to generate heat.

It was not the type of fall a mother likes to watch - and, sorry guys, I didn't have the camera that run. 'dude looked a bit dazed, but I knew he was hurting when he walked back to the lodge, rather than skiing the rest of the way down. Assuming he didn't bust a rib, he will be up and skiing again in a few days. Glad he had a helmet...

What's a cranker? I'm not familiar with that term!

A cranker is a term you couldn't quickly look up on the internet to pretend to know about ski racing. AKA, a gate that's a little more offset than the rhythm called for and/or a gate that's thrown in at a minimum distance....you have to really "crank" your skis to make the gate. Just like it sounds.

And now you know.