Some morning turns---2/12/7

Ski

The winds calmed down and it was pretty warm this morning. We did some Fast Track laps, waiting for groomers to finish Lower Runaway. The only reason I'm posting a report is because it struck me that they were working so hard to groom lightly used slopes on a Monday morning. I mean, there are 10 skiers/boarders on the hill and they had everything groomed so meticulously...except Smoke---before it gets skied out, anyone heading up should hit the big, soft bumps...total hero bumps. We ended up laying lots of fresh tracks in the cord on Whistler and Lower Runaway. We did stop and really check out where they plan cut the new trails, especially the steep drop next to Lower Fast Track. That's going to be an amazing run. But they'll really need one blue square down on the NF to open it up to everyone.

Great morning!

Was a very slow day at work today, even got to make a pretty nice 2 seater couch at the bunny lift. Winds stayed away throughout the whole night while we were riding, it was a perfect night to get some runs in. Was a little busier than a normal week night but there was a school or two there. Bumps were really nice on smoke, but they were all over the place on White with no pattern what-so-ever so we only hit that up once. The snow was in good shape though.

Thanks for the report. What were the crowds like over the weekend? Do you think that it will be crowded Presidents weekend coming up?

How's the Long Haul Triple been running? The reason I ask is that while the N.F is nice, the runs are relatively short. It would be nice to do some top to bottom runs.

My son and I will likely be up on Friday night. Then we are heading to Greek Peak and Elk for Sat., Sun. We may hit Sno again on Monday.

Thanks for the report. What were the crowds like over the weekend? Do you think that it will be crowded Presidents weekend coming up?

How's the Long Haul Triple been running? The reason I ask is that while the N.F is nice, the runs are relatively short. It would be nice to do some top to bottom runs.

My son and I will likely be up on Friday night. Then we are heading to Greek Peak and Elk for Sat., Sun. We may hit Sno again on Monday.

Take the NF lift to Iron horse. At least you get to do a small run in between.

Take the NF lift to Iron horse. At least you get to do a small run in between.

On a busy weekend like a president's day, i wouldn't think of that as a viable option. Long Haul is a straight shot to the top and many people fly right past it and get in line for Phoebe. I'd take waiting in 1 small line and a very slight longer ride on the chair than waiting in 2 medium-long lines (depending on the instance) which would probably take longer than option 1. As for crowds on the weekends, they are significantly larger than the weekdays (obviously). Fridays are usually packed with all of the school trips and saturdays are packed with all the families. I would imagine it will be pretty busy for the holiday weekend. Normally we have around 15-20 people working the lifts on a weekday morning, for monday they are aiming for 40, if that's any indication.

Ha, I'm waiting for a guarantee from a certified lift mechanic before I risk Long Haul...

Sno will have 1/10th the crowds of other PA areas this coming weekend. Lower Fast Track and Lower Runaway will be good places to avoid people, since bunny skiers/riders will make the cut back over to the Iron Horse and better skiers/riders don't like the hassle of multiple lifts or the Long Haul.

Again, though, that's the problem with Sno as is it: we need a blue square top to bottom run. One of the new trails they cut next season will have to allow intermediate skiers access to the Phoebe Snow lift. Heck, you can now buy tickets at the top of the Phoebe, then ski down to blues/greens, but then you have to take the bus back up. They'll fix that...we have to deal with it all the time, since I really don't like my 6 yr old on the NF diamonds.

What were the crowds like over the weekend?

Two or three school buses on Sunday...other PA areas would typical have 20+ buses. It's still the quiet before next year's storm.

ski, thanks for the info on the crowds. Sounds like it will be almost as uncrowded as last year.

Is the Long Haul Triple really that bad? I'm sure that they had to have it inspected for this year. I know from my one-ever ride on it last year that it is slow. But I would think that it would still be faster than taking two lifts. If there aren't many (if any) beginner's riding it, I would think that it would stop less than most of the other lifts.

ski, thanks for the info on the crowds. Sounds like it will be almost as uncrowded as last year.

Is the Long Haul Triple really that bad? I'm sure that they had to have it inspected for this year. I know from my one-ever ride on it last year that it is slow. But I would think that it would still be faster than taking two lifts. If there aren't many (if any) beginner's riding it, I would think that it would stop less than most of the other lifts.

Long haul is safe to ride, don't listen to the hype.