front flip vs backflip

soccer911

which is easier to do? what r u supposed to learn first? front flip or backflip? how do u do it?

id like to know what kind of tricks you can do. because i can do alot of pretty good stuff, but when i tried a backflip......

lets just say it wasnt pretty.

backflips freak me out man (on a snowboard) i've choked on it 3 times out of the 3 times I've tried. I get to the completely upside down part, freak out, and just come crashing straight down on my head. Usually I kind of suck up and land on my shoulder blades but it sucks. Usually end up kneeing yourself in the nose and a lot of blood goes everywhere, not to scare you dude but I have a strict no-invert policy from now no for myself. I wouldn't want to try it at a resort with hardpack, wait till spring for the slush or into powder and there is less chance of hurting yourself.

since we havent had classes the past 2 days here at hazleton.. we decided to build a jump, then made it into a barrel bonk.. it was fun but then we took the barrel away and i started trying some backflips (barrel roll style) and i have em down now.. the thing is you have to commit fully!! or at least make sure you get around enough that you wont land on your head or neck.. (obviously)

frontflips i think are easier, i was almost able to do backflips the first day of camelback out of the pipe but kept slipping out. but recently i broke 3 boards on front flips cause i flip to slow and break the tails really easy. idk but i think frontflips are easier

I was trying the back flip barrel roll when I fucked myself up because I figured it is the closest to the kind you do on a trampoline so it would be the easiest to learn. I couldn't commit to them but I feel like if you could commit the motion isn't too difficult but if you panic halfway like I did your body opens up and that stops the rotation so tuck it good and don't open up.

so should i rotate faster than a regular flip and how much vert and air do i need to do it?

Well, I learned on smaller jump so more speed is necessary and so is faster rotation... As far as air goes, its good to feel out the jump to make sure it gives you enough loft to get the flip around.

look at the one in his avatar... looks like freakin 10 feet max.

Yeah, actually I would be surprised if it were 10 feet. We didnt measure but that was the biggest jump we could make in my friends yard and still have enough speed to do the flip. But anyway, 40 degree angle sounds pretty good. Its really not an exact science. I have done some on a 6 or 7 footer like the one in my avatar and I have done some on a 20 footer at a mountain. Once you learn it on something you won't get hurt on you will really understand how much speed and air you will need. The hardest part is making yourself do it in the first place...

just make sure you get the first one around enough so you wont land on your head.. even if you get around and still take a decent fall it will get rid of all the butterflies in your stomach and the 2nd try you'll just want to nail it now..

its all about growing some balls and taking a chance...

just make sure you get the first one around enough so you wont land on your head.. even if you get around and still take a decent fall it will get rid of all the butterflies in your stomach and the 2nd try you'll just want to nail it now..

its all about growing some balls and taking a chance...

That is exactly right...

• 2 weeks later...

No offense to anyone, but I see some questionable advice here.

First, get a good clean take off with a properly timed pop. Then initiate your rotation. Spot the landing and be willing to retract the legs into a tuck and risk over rotation to make sure you get around. A key thing is to make sure you are doing this with a nice steep landing hill, chopped if possible. Allow yourself to over rotate and slap down on the steep landing hill as it shouldn't hurt but under rotating can mean eating it big time.

Back is much easier than front.

The amount of air can be debated, but make sure the landing is the best possible.

Get some confidence then work on the form. Don't try twisting until you have a solid pinned layout.

Edited by flyingpig