Skating

skimom

OOOOOH, I can help here!!!!

Skating is actually a lot like running a 40 yard dash, which happens to be something I've done a lot of in my life.

First and foremost the thing that will help the most is increased power and quickness. The best way to do this through olympic clean-style lifting. As I don't see 'mom doing power cleans all day, you can do plyometrics. get yourself an 8 to 12 inch high box that you can jump up onto. Jump with both feet up on the box at the same time and then down. Do this as quick as possible in 30 second to minute intervals. 3 sets or so a day and you'll be suprised how much faster you are. It really builds a lot of core strength, quickness and muscle endurance.

As for simple techniques to try- Running and skating are different in that the hand/foot coordination is opposite. At the same time, however, you can still use some form running techniques.

First- come out of the gate very aggressively, but don't go over your tips. Start with your head down and your body forward while skating, and steadily rise up as you get to the first gate.

Second- pump your arms hard. There is a direct correlation between your arm motion and your leg motion. Not to mention the added power you'll see as you pole.

Third- don't over stride.

Hope this helps 'mom. Maybe we'll see you at the PA Ski Council race on sunday at blue???

ski- I played a lot of football and had to do a lot of combines... hence a lot of 40 yard dashes. I was running a 4.8 sec 40 at my peak.

'mom- I thought you were with mainline? :confused You can come sunday and ski on my team!!!! :wiggle

doug- don't just do nastar. Nastar is a lot of fun, but ASRA is a lot more fun. Besides... I have a lot more fun on skis than i do on my board.

Yeah, really is a loss. I wanted 'mom to come race at the cup race with us!

Interesting side note: that pacesetter tina at Blue was I think the 4th fastest woman last year at this race. She was bested only by ASRA's own Kristin Bucholtz and Mel Foy and some other girl I don't know.

And yes, I finally gave in a joined a ski club, obviously, if I'm racing Sunday. Anyone who knows me knows I'm really in it for the free food and beer. :blink: