Monday February 26, 2007

SkiCamelback

First off -- it's 7 am and I haven't skied yet. The following is just to start the morning off with a little info and what I would expect to see out on the slopes. If you are on it today -- please add your thoughts...

CB recieved 3 - 4 inches of new snow last night. Much of it has been groomed in and has left a wet packed powder and slightly granular surface. There has been a little mixed precipitation and the forcast is calling for freezing rain. Because of this, both Detach chairs will have a delayed opening. All the chairs are off the cables and in the sheds. Once the threat of freezing rain passes, chairs will be loaded onto the Detach's and lift operations on the two will start. This should all be resolved by mid-morning.

For the opening bell -- the Bailey Lift, Meadows Triple and Coolmore are open. All west side slopes are accessable, and the east side will be accessable as soon as the Stevenson Express opens.

In all -- with the new snow and mild temperatures, skiing and riding should be really good!!

I'll post more info as I get it..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mountain opening is not delayed. Detach lifts have a few operational considerations that fixed grip lifts do not have. First -- Freezing rain impacts a detach's operations by having a coating of ice build up on the "traction plate" (I think that's what they call it?). The Traction plate is a flat surface on the grip of the lift that makes contact with the wheels while in the termininal. It's the wheels pushing the traction plate (hence the chair) through the terminal. If there is a coating of ice on the tractin plate, the wheels do not move the chair through the terminal effectivly. To avoid all sorts of problems, many detach lifts have a "shed" that allows the chairs to be under a roof to avoid being in the weather. The purpose of taking the chairs off the cable is not for the seats, but to cover the grips. It certainly helps the seats to be under cover.

The Sullivan's Express is taking skiers and rider to the summit at of right now..

I love reading these daily reports for one reason: The only people that reply are the camelback haters. It happens every day. How insignificant the rest of their lives must be that they feel a need to come on the CB and post their gay little comments. Let me clarify:

I think Blue Mtn sucks. All the trails are the same. Their snow quality flat out sucks balls every time I've been there. The majority of Blue's clientelle seems to be.. umm.. tools from Philly. So consequently i stay the f out of Blue's forum. I dont go there and bash it because everyone has a right to their own opinion so I assume everyone in that forum likes Blue and I respect that.

But you losers crack me up haha. GrilledSteeze are you sexually frustrated? hahah dork.

SkiCamelback........ keep the updates coming there are several of us who appreciate them and love camelback. No reply to this post is needed from the CB haters. Just move on........ keep broswing.

Heres the definition of summit for the aforementioned retard, k2fujative

sum

It also educates prospective Camelback passholders on the fact that the high speed quads are closed alot..

Well to be fair the closing of the sullivan is very rare. However, as you have pointed out this season the stevenson get closed at the drop of a hat.

the majority of people at cb are new yorkers and id rather ride with tools from philly personally.

i dont think k2fujative was retarded for what was said. saying any mountain around here has a summit is pretty funny, as that most are on platues, besides elk, boulder, and very few others.

no one personally attacked you, only camelback. why must people get so defense over subtle thing? smoke a damn j dude.

Edited by Dirt McGirt

Heres the definition of summit for the aforementioned retard, k2fujative

Do you own CB? Does it really hurt your feelings when a couple of people goof on the hyberbole of a ski report? Now, go look up HYPERBOLE, Einstein. Jeez, when Sugarbush or any big eastern resort does their morning video reports, half the people in the coffee shops laugh.

Craig offers a pretty nice feature that does have real value, but sometimes comes up with a funny phrase that is just too good not to point out. And, I mean, wtf, if you don't want to hear from our wiseasses, then leave.

As long as it doesn't piss Craig off too much, I think it's great that he makes the effort and Grilled gets in a few shots. Nobody dies from it and it keeps the report bumped.

The snow was pretty nice last night. I'm glad I got out on the fresh fallen snow before it was ruined by the groomers. Rocket has some pretty sick bumps on it right now. It makes me wish I skied.

nips got some mogul time last night, said they wer fun, weird pattern but fun..

I like the daily updates...it teaches me more about ski area marketing. It also educates prospective Camelback passholders on the fact that the high speed quads are closed alot..

please stay in the blue forums.

I think Blue Mtn sucks. All the trails are the same. Their snow quality flat out sucks balls every time I've been there.

I agree. There has been an ok snow condition a time or two but them the grooming sucked comparitively.

Craig offers a pretty nice feature that does have real value, but sometimes comes up with a funny phrase that is just too good not to point out. And, I mean, wtf, if you don't want to hear from our wiseasses, then leave.

Word!

NOW, WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY CB CLOSED THE PIPE YESTERDAY at what time??

skicamelback knows why this especially stings my ass. explanation please.

If you're talking about the new half pipe, there was a comp. yesterday and it was closed for a little after and then they reopened it. I was there until 5:30 and I was riding it up until I left so... I don't know what you're buggin out about.

I know about the comp.. Right about the time you left they closed the pipe. I am close to being super pissed.

ty papa for agreeing with me...... I have to write this down, was expecting yo uof all people to bash me. But still the point was missed. While I have ill-will toward Blue I do not go in the Blue forum and rip on it.

whoever wrote smoke and j and relax ... great comeback. really. you idiot.

the others were all pretty laughable as well. have a good day.

Do you own CB? Does it really hurt your feelings when a couple of people goof on the hyberbole of a ski report? Now, go look up HYPERBOLE, Einstein. Jeez, when Sugarbush or any big eastern resort does their morning video reports, half the people in the coffee shops laugh.

As long as it doesn't piss Craig off too much, I think it's great that he makes the effort and Grilled gets in a few shots. Nobody dies from it and it keeps the report bumped.

Good point.... but everyday.. Cmon.

Starting off your post with rhetorical questions is a good touch. Makes you look so much smarter.

Pappa-

Against my better judgement, and casting aside my fear of where this question is going....

The Big Pipe was closed yesterday for the Mid-Atlantic Snowboard Series Half Pipe competition and its competitors. It opened to the public (I believe) around 2:30 - 3:00 pm. I hope that the pipe closure was not a surprise to any guests -- the event had been on our calendar of events and the closure was listed (printed) on the daily report. The little pipe and both parks were open.

I would like to thank the Mid-Atlantic crew for putting on a great event and to the competitors that came out. There are few photos in the daily pic's of skicamelback.com.

I still haven't made it out onto the snow yet, but Ski911 told me that the skiing was good. It's a combination of packed POE, a little wet snow, some granular, all with a few piles starting. Mabey a better clasification would be "variable" at this time..

Thanks to all for your interest in the mornng report. I think the lesson in ski area marketing is --- If you have (or want) to ski everyday, don't work in the marketing department....

Again -- if you get out, please add to the thread your own conditions report.

OK-- I just got some new info...

The Park crew closed the Big Pipe early last evening due to limited visability in the pipe. It was a combination of the snow & fog that contributed to the decision.

That's the news that I got. Anyone ski/ride anywhere today??

Edited by SkiCamelback

In the words of Camelbacks own Ski911...

We are trying to protect you from season ending mishaps caused by out of control skiers and riders (including yourself).

Speed is easy, carving slow, meticulous, even-sided turns is way more difficult and will make you a much better skier or rider

when/where was this?

I think the difference is Camelback makes proactive decisions where as the other mountains take the hands off ski at your own risk approach. That pisses a lot of us off because we generally know a bit more about the sport if we care enough to find a website about it - but their approach probably is safer for their customer overall. However I think (in my non-expert opinion) that it leaves them open to more liability because you get the question - well you closed the lift on this day, and the pipe on this day, and since this was open I went down it and got hurt assuming it was safe because it was open. Where as if you where at Mountain Creek and hit a rock in the pipe because it was foggy - their lawyers would say it was open everyday ski at your own risk. The lawyer for the plantiff against Camelback would say - it was closed on Feb 25, 2007 for fog, but not on this day, and my client got hurt becuase of a negligent decision.