Hey , liftguy

Ski

So what was the deal with the kid "catching" chairs at the bottom of Iron Horse at 11:30 this morning? He's the guy with a beard, but not much of a mustache (there's another guy with a full beard and mustache who was catching them just fine).

Anyway, the first time we go to get on the chair, he doesn't even touch it and my 6 yr old gets wacked so hard that she cried halfway up the lift. So when we lap back around and get to the lift I asked him to please catch the chair, especially when there's a little kid getting on.

What's he do? Just as the chair gets to us, he put his hands behind his back.

WTF?

I tried to take most of the impact, but I have to also lift her onto the seat a little, so she got hit pretty hard again. I turned around from the chair and asked what his problem was and he told me to fuck myself.

Nice...

It also happened to my friend's little boy, but his dad was able to catch the chair himself the second time. But it ended my kid's day with badly bruised legs.

Pretty screwed up thing to do.

Ya the lift people up their don't catch the chair all the time and half the time they do the bar swings down on your head.

I don't want to rag on them as a group since every other liftie has been great when catching for the kids I'm with. Heck, I just wrote a bunch of props to the lifties for the other day. When I'm alone, I don't really care if they catch the chair---although it's nice when they do. This was just totally f'd up.

BTW, Nick, Ty was hanging out behind you when you went over to the obnoxious table by the video games...she wanted to say hi to you so badly but was too shy.

Hahaha I don't remember what she looks like without all her gear on. I've only seen her without it on at the first meeting for sno in the summer.

If I knew what she looked like I would have said hi.Your little daughter has sick steez when shes on the race coarse.Lawl!

Ha, she knows your coat/pants and always looks for you in the park...one of the jumps you did at some random time really left an impression. If you have this effect on 16 yr old chicks, you must do pretty good...

At this point, is the liftie fired or dead???

After I dropped Ty off with her Aunt and cousin in the lodge, I went back down to kick him in the back of the legs to see if he liked it...but he was gone. Probably for the best.

Ha, she knows your coat/pants and always looks for you in the park...one of the jumps you did at some random time really left an impression. If you have this effect on 16 yr old chicks, you must do pretty good...
My girl friend really don't seemed to impressed when I do something sweet,but thats only cause shes so use to it cause he brother does it so shes grown up around it.I'll ask her sometimes if it was sweet and she will be like ya it was awesome and im just like cool lol.I don't really impress myself with skiing anymore.

But besides my girl friend im sure any girl skier/snowboarder who wasn't real good would be like omg that was soooo cool!

A couple years ago, I had a similar incident at a resort. I started to knock over their loading sign with my poles, every time I would get on the chair. They finally said something to me and I told them to quit letting the chair slam my legs and I would quit whacking their signs...this worked.

Now speaking of lift guys,one lift dude said to me and my friend as we got on the north face lift today.

"If I catch you skiing in the woods again im going to take your pass away."

I guess one of the dudes that saw us skiing the woods told him but still I felt like saying to him.Your just a lifty,you didn't see me skiing the wood,you have no authority over me.The guy was a big D-Bag.Then I saw him skiing later and wanted to spray him sooo bad!

when i get on the lift, i put my hand behind me so i dont have to let people do it for me.....

just putting it out there.....

Yep, as do a lot of us, especially if it's a fixed grip that doesn't slow down. But people with really little kids rely on the lifties to catch it, since they have poles in one hand and are boosting their kid with the other. Yeah, two things I always do on any lift are to expect to catch it and say "thanks" to the liftie...eh, except to this dope.

So what was the deal with the kid "catching" chairs at the bottom of Iron Horse at 11:30 this morning? He's the guy with a beard, but not much of a mustache (there's another guy with a full beard and mustache who was catching them just fine).

Anyway, the first time we go to get on the chair, he doesn't even touch it and my 6 yr old gets wacked so hard that she cried halfway up the lift. So when we lap back around and get to the lift I asked him to please catch the chair, especially when there's a little kid getting on.

What's he do? Just as the chair gets to us, he put his hands behind his back.

WTF?

I tried to take most of the impact, but I have to also lift her onto the seat a little, so she got hit pretty hard again. I turned around from the chair and asked what his problem was and he told me to fuck myself.

Nice...

It also happened to my friend's little boy, but his dad was able to catch the chair himself the second time. But it ended my kid's day with badly bruised legs.

Pretty screwed up thing to do.

Sorry to hear about this!

I will talk to this gentlman on his next shift. This is not the way i want my lifties to be. You can trust me that he will be in trouble if not fired. I hope that you give us another shot. I try to weed these kind of employees out as best as i can. Sometimes they get by though. I am glad that you brought this to me attention, though. I cant watch these kids all the time so its great to hear that i could find out about stuff through here. Please let me know if you have any more problems. Again I am very sorry for this.

No, don't fire him...just train him if he's going to be working the chairs. I don't even care that he gave me attitude, I just care about what was happening to my daughter and my friend's son. And you might also explain to him how close he came to having a really pissed off dad kick his knees out from under him.

But this is the only time it's every happened to us at Sno. All but one person on your lift staff has been TERRIFIC and FRIENDLY. I know it sucks, but this is just an example of how one person having a bad day can make everyone look bad. It happens in my business on a daily basis.

All in all, your lift ops are the best we've experienced in the Poconos. And when you have a little kid, it really makes a difference in how your day goes. Heck, just check an earlier thread I had made about them:

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8397

Thanks for listening, liftguy.

Edited by ski