Bode Miller Ski Racings Alpine Skier of the Year.

Papasteeze

Are the sponsorships levels in racing similar to freestyle?

proform - heavy discount

grass roots - buy one discount get one free plus accessories

flow - gear as needed

amatuer - gear + some travel

pro - full on - podium cash, fees, travel.

Aren't teams typically sponsored, like I thought I saw Summit all on Rossi last season. What is an example of a sponsorship for a racer, I mean what are we talking about, and what about this disqualification thing I hear if you accept gear or money?

I think it is overly harsh to say that BOde is bad for American racing. whether it be bad or good the fact is he brings a lot of attention to the sport and that in itself is good.

Ski manufacturers used to compete to see how many kids at a Junior FIS race would be on their boards. Fisher went through a period where it seemed like every race was what they called "A very yellow day". Those days are gone because of Bode Miller, according to the reps.

IDK why you are so concerned about "attention". Is that a park thing? If you act like a dick at a ski race, that doesn't make you good; it makes you a dick. TO brings a lot of attention to himself, how the hell is that good for the NFL? AI brought a lot of attention to himself, was that good for the Sixers?

Bottom line: money that was earmarked for junior sponsorship is now funneled to Bode Miller. That's good for American ski racing in what way?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah ski.. I am from the 30 years of recreational skiing, skiing to me has always been fun. I want the gear that the kids are having fun on, not the ones who act like wallflowers... Quite frankly, I think that is the problem with racing for juniors, there doesn't seem to be any fun in it...

The icing on the cake was hearing a coach repremanding the kids that if they went into the park they would not be racing that day. Derbies at RT.. Kids can get serious later, when they decide thats what they want. I dunno.. I know that I would sponsor the fun out going rabble rouser in 10th place before I would the ultra serious boring guy with all the skills. You know why? Cause those are the ones that people notice...

Freestyle is a lot like that. I see kids with huge skills with out sponsors and I see the blazing mediocre teenagers with full on sponsors... Now, that kid with out the sponsors grumbles about why he is better than this and that guy mean while the guy with the hookup is out there talking about how sick his gear is and having fun with it. Who would you want to be around?

Wrong. Tiger brings 50,000 spectators to PGA venues. Tiger is a classy man that sets an amazing example for aspiring junior golfers. Tiger has used to success to bring golf to inner city youth, as well as middle class white kids. Tiger led a resurrgence in a sport, wherein Bode has made it harder for American kids to ski race.

Bode is no Tiger Woods.

How did I know I would be wrong?!!!!!!! I think I'm batting a thousand!

As for the "Reps"..............How do you know when a ski rep is lying? His lips are moving!

Bode doesn't tell you how to make a living. What makes you so high and mighty that you think you can criticize how he makes his?

:ph34r:

yeah ski.. I am from the 30 years of recreational skiing, skiing to me has always been fun. I want the gear that the kids are having fun on, not the ones who act like wallflowers... Quite frankly, I think that is the problem with racing for juniors, there doesn't seem to be any fun in it...

The icing on the cake was hearing a coach repremanding the kids that if they went into the park they would not be racing that day. Derbies at RT.. Kids can get serious later, when they decide thats what they want. I dunno.. I know that I would sponsor the fun out going rabble rouser in 10th place before I would the ultra serious boring guy with all the skills. You know why? Cause those are the ones that people notice...

Freestyle is a lot like that. I see kids with huge skills with out sponsors and I see the blazing mediocre teenagers with full on sponsors... Now, that kid with out the sponsors grumbles about why he is better than this and that guy mean while the guy with the hookup is out there talking about how sick his gear is and having fun with it. Who would you want to be around?

Racing isn't for everyone; park comps aren't for everyone. No worries. After all, isn't freestyle skiing an alternative to the rigors of racing? Not to say there isn't cut-throat freestyle comps. But if any junior racer wants to get to Bode's level, then they better be prepared to commit themselves like Bode did as a junior racer. There are no shortcuts if US kids want to be competitive against Euro kids that live to bash gates. I respect kids that work hard toward goals and sacrifice school dances and parties---if it's what they really want. It's just not for most kids.

How did I know I would be wrong?!!!!!!! I think I'm batting a thousand!

As for the "Reps"..............How do you know when a ski rep is lying? His lips are moving!

Bode doesn't tell you how to make a living. What makes you so high and mighty that you think you can criticize how he makes his?

I know six reps and one is an especially good friend. None has ever lied to a kid or his family. Why would he/she? What's to gain? In fact, they are brutally honest. They explain the point system and what likely the best track for each racer.

Jeez, when did reps become the anti-Christ?

So, yeah, you're still batting .000.

I didn't tell Bode how to make a living. I just explained how it has hurt junior racing in America.

I know six reps and one is an especially good friend. None has ever lied to a kid or his family. Why would he/she? What's to gain? In fact, they are brutally honest. They explain the point system and what likely the best track for each racer.

Jeez, when did reps become the anti-Christ?

So, yeah, you're still batting .000.

I didn't tell Bode how to make a living. I just explained how it has hurt junior racing in America.

I didn't say reps were the anti-Christ but they are ALL full of shit! They are salesman! They love guys like you. You probably drool all over yourself when they speak.

I also didn't say you are telling Bode how to make a living but you are criticizing how he earns his living. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Bode and anyone else = wrong. Ski = right!

Did you get your ass kicked growing up? You remind me of the kid who always thought he was right and then got his ass kicked. "MOM!..............Bode pissed on my goggles again, tell him to stop!".

Edited by First Grade Teacher

I didn't say reps were the anti-Christ but they are ALL full of shit! They are salesman! They love guys like you. You probably drool all over yourself when they speak.

I also didn't say you are telling Bode how to make a living but you are criticizing how he earns his living. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Bode and anyone else = wrong. Ski = right!

Did you get your ass kicked growing up? You remind me of the kid who always thought he was right and then got his ass kicked. "MOM!..............Bode pissed on my goggles again, tell him to stop!".

The trend here is that you ALWAYS attack ME for stating my opinions about Bode. Oh, wait, I was mostly expressing the opinions of World Cup ski reps.

Again, you are wrong about me. Totally. I grew up in Tewksbury, NJ, which is a really nice place. Further, since you are so incredibly interested in my life, I was co-captain of my baseball team and a three-year starting varsity goalie at Voorhees HS. My high school life was pretty good, compared to most. In fact, I really hope my daughter has as positive of a high school experience as me. I was surrounded by really good friends and missed them a lot when I made a last minute change from Rutgers to GMU. That's why I think it's really important to teach a strong work ethic and some old school values when it comes to competition. If you haven't noticed, I hate show off's and posers and bullies.

Did I get my ass kicked growing up? 1st Grade, I grew up the son of a college educated marine...he started me on a lifetime of weight lifting that began when I was probably in fourth grade. I could probably bench press you when I was in the sixth grade.

But here's the secret: if you are strong and confident in your beliefs, you don't have to fight. My only serious fights have occured in clubs, where I stepped in when some drunk frat boy was stepping over the line with a girl...and that used to happen quite a bit. I'm old fashion, 1st Grade.

You, on the other hand, hide from everyone. Why is that?

Drool over reps? Why would I? I have a great friend that reps Nordica and I could have gotten some great slalom skis at a 70% discount...but eBay had a set of 'new in wrapper' for $37.50. Okay, so maybe I drool over a set of $38 new race stock skis on eBay, but I don't drool over reps.

Why would you even say that? For effect? I have a strong opinion about a public figure, yet you always turn it into a personal attack on me. Such a troll thing to do. I mean, c;mon, should I call you a nappy headed hoe for trashing reps? It's just lame.

Well, I guess the reps from Head, Volkl, Atomic, Rossi, K2, and Nordica are full of shit and you two know better. Yeah, those companies have had layoffs and have had to pull sponsorships as a sinister campaign just to hurt kids.

Oh hey what do you know it's Ski999 putting words in my mouth again. I never said I doubted that Head diverted funds from junior racers to higher level racers. If you read my post I actually said that the situation sucked, but I guess you skipped over that part.

Bode is a leech.

Maybe you should try explaining that to Head, considering you're so much more informed about the subject. I could care less about what Bode does for the sport, I simply pointed out that you calling him an ass for making money is ridiculous. It's not like Bode has the daughter of the Head CEO is his basement and is demanding more money or else, Head agreed to his contract voluntarily. Nobody is forcing them to pay Bode the amount they do, and I'm sure there would be plenty of other ski companies willing to pay if Head wasn't willing. If you want to blame someone for the lack of sponsorship in junior racing blame Head.

DH, at least read up on a subject first. There's a huge movement in all pro sports for salary caps...there's a whole movement by stockholders of major companies to cap CEO salaries...I know your really not into other sports or the Russell 2000, but there's a lot going on out there that you seem not to know about.

Is it shared blame? Should Head have emptied the bank for Bode? They felt they did. But what I care about is the bottom line. Bode hired a hardball agent and got the most he could. The other top skiers followed suit. Now, there's no money left for junior sponsorships.

That's it. You and 1st Grade and Rob say Bode is good for the sport. The facts say his contract drained money away that was critical for development skiers.

Dude, remove some of your hate from me and just use a little common sense...imagine if ARod's contract meant that the Yankees had to stop sending hundreds of bats and balls to Little League programs around the country. Imagine then, that other major leaguers used the same tactics and suddenly all Little League programs lost their funding.

And there's DH saying not to have hard feelings toward ARod. ARod's fat and rich and showing signs of raging alcoholism and his contract has left Little League in shambles, but he's still good for the sport when he's not quitting in a huff and cussing out his teammates.

But what I care about is the bottom line. Bode hired a hardball agent and got the most he could. The other top skiers followed suit. Now, there's no money left for junior sponsorships.

Because ski companies are willing to rerout money from JR to WC racers. There is absolutely no problem provided the ski companies sack up and tell WC racers that they're not going to sacrafice junior racer resources for their payroll.

That's it. You and 1st Grade and Rob say Bode is good for the sport. The facts say his contract drained money away that was critical for development skiers.

Another instance of Ski putting words in my mouth. Never did I say Bode is good for the sport.

The facts say that ski companies value WC racers over junior racers because they're more profitable. There's plenty of other situations where ski companes could route money to junior racers but they, just like you, only care about the bottom line. It's a real easy excuse as to why junior racing support is cut. Blame it on Bode!

I still love capitalism.

Edited by DHarrisburg

C'mon, DH, are you just pretending to be that thick? Jeez, ask Santa for a subscription to Sports Illustrated and Money Mag. Get up to speed on what's been wreaking havok on sports. How dare anyone blame the athletes and their agents! It's the damn owners fault!

Don't blame the poor athlete that makes it impossible for families to go to games...it's those freaking owners that WANT to shell out the money.

Listen: Austria and other nations subsidize their skiing programs. American kids rely on corporate sponsorship.

Bode and his agent led the charge that broke the bank and American kids suffer.

Bode takes up space on the US Ski Team and parties his ass off before wasting everyone's time at the Olympics...he happily accepts MY money from USSA membership dues...then he breaks the bank of junior sponsorship.

But still, DH does not get it. It's Head's fault. Oh, well.

Well the situation is pretty lousy, and in general I really don't like Bode, I'm not sure I can get too pissed at him. I'm not sure he made the decision to grab an agent while considering it to be a move that would kill the sport he presumably loves. I'm not sure it was a conscience move to deprive kids of sponsorships. It may be the trend for the players to make the move to squeeze dry their employers in many other sports, but do you think that Bode knew his patricular moves would but ski companies at the breaking point, or at least where he is underminig the JR leagues by the trend he started in sking? Sure the high salaries in other sports have ill effects "down the line." Familes have to spend a ton of money to go to a baseball game, but... the sport is still alive. There is still little league and there is still talent moving through. I'm not knowledgeable enough about professional sports salaries, and the ski racing scene but... Do you think when Bode made the move to follow the other professional athletes by going with a "hardball agent" he fully understood the difference in dynamics and money between racing and other professional sports in America?

I'm not going to say he didn't cause, or at least start all of this but, was it not inevitable, and was it intentional?

I hate defending Bode so I'm going to stop now.

But still, DH does not get it.

Ski, your the only one that gets it! :bow:

Again, you are wrong about me. Totally. I grew up in Tewksbury, NJ, which is a really nice place. Further, since you are so incredibly interested in my life, I was co-captain of my baseball team and a three-year starting varsity goalie at Voorhees HS. My high school life was pretty good, compared to most. In fact, I really hope my daughter has as positive of a high school experience as me. I was surrounded by really good friends and missed them a lot when I made a last minute change from Rutgers to GMU. That's why I think it's really important to teach a strong work ethic and some old school values when it comes to competition. If you haven't noticed, I hate show off's and posers and bullies.

Did I get my ass kicked growing up? 1st Grade, I grew up the son of a college educated marine...he started me on a lifetime of weight lifting that began when I was probably in fourth grade. I could probably bench press you when I was in the sixth grade.

But here's the secret: if you are strong and confident in your beliefs, you don't have to fight. My only serious fights have occured in clubs, where I stepped in when some drunk frat boy was stepping over the line with a girl...and that used to happen quite a bit.

So in other words.................you got your ass kicked.

my guess (cuz i'm not as smart as as everyone else around here) is that bode got his super agent a few years ago when barilla, nike and whatever the hell superfund is came knocking at his door flashing lots of green ( and probably diverting funds away from all those sketti eating sneaker wearing comps) to look after his interests, he'd be an ass not to. If everyone else followed suit i doubt it was to be like bode, it was prabbably to watch out for their interests too, which is probably a good thing if threre interests to protect. i have a hard time swallowing the poor ski industry story, like steel, oil, whatever, industries always have a scpegoat or reason to justify padding the bottom line...this time its bode (?)

Okay, I'll just try this once directed just to Glenn...

Glenn: with professional sports in America, the astronomic salaries are passed on directly to ticket holders. Those ticket holders have a voice, though, and can simply choose not to buy the tickets. They would be heard and the salaries would come down. But that hasn't happened. Salaries go up along with ticket and concession prices. It's supply and demand.

With ski racing in America, there are some differences. The price being paid for enormous salaries does increase the price of ski gear. The upside is that we get gear that's technically better, since there's R&D being done on every run.

But there's a downside that the European press doesn't have any interest in, because it doesn't effect subsidized race programs abroad, and the American press couldn't give a crap about because it's ski racing.

The downside is that---very quietly---sponsorship for hundreds of American junior ski racers has dried up.

Take away all blame and what Bode should or shouldn't do, it's a simple fact that the skyrocketing ski racer salaries are having a very negative impact on junior ski racing in America.

I don't hate Bode for having an agent and milking every dollar he could get. I dislike Bode for things like quitting a race in a childish huff. But people should understand that it's a mistake to think Bode is good for anything or anyone other than Bode.

American kids no longer have the same benefits of sponsorship that Bode relied on to succeed as a kid.

Okay, I'll just try this once directed just to Glenn...
  • The downside is that---very quietly---sponsorship for hundreds of American junior ski racers has dried up.
  • It's a simple fact that the skyrocketing ski racer salaries are having a very negative impact on junior ski racing in America.
  • I dislike Bode for things like quitting a race in a childish huff.
  • It's a mistake to think Bode is good for anything or anyone other than Bode.

I agree with this.

Edited by Glenn

All the Bode haters should be happy that he quit the Ski Team and his cousin killed a cop and got shot by a bystander?

It sounds like he is technically still part of the team. I just think he isn't going to take any money from them so he can do what he wants. Sleep, travel, eat, drink, train as he likes. I'll bet he is dressed in a U.S. uniform and will still use U.S. slots for WC and if he sticks around for the 2010 Olympics.

Edited by First Grade Teacher

It sounds like he is technically still part of the team. I just think he isn't going to take any money from them so he can do what he wants. Sleep, travel, eat, drink, train as he likes. I'll bet he is dressed in a U.S. uniform and will still use U.S. slots for WC and if he sticks around for the 2010 Olympics.

I haven't seen any additional stories regarding the specifics, but if it's the same deal as Koz---which it seems it is---then Bode will have no ties at all to the US Ski Team, except for, as you mentioned, Olympic and World Championship spots. Koz didn't use a US "spot" for regular World Cups. Also, she could wear whatever speed suit (uniform) she wanted. And, if you recall, her ex-teammates were friendly with her on race days, but shared no course reports.

The hardest thing for Koz was the travel, but Bode has a lot more money than Koz did. She had to raise $200,000/yr., but sponsors will line up to take care of Bode, plus he has a childhood friend to drive his 'bus'. Bode wasn't too big on inspections and course reports, so he seems the perfect candidate for going solo. And he doesn't believe in coaching, so no loss there.

This arangement seems so perfect that it's hard to understand why he didn't do it sooner, before he'd pissed off everyone with his tantrums.

Heck, every once in a while I might cheer for the little cousin of a cop killer...

I'm very happy about it...too bad Bodes cousin didn't shoot Bode...it would make room for a racer who wants to be there.. :tinfoil:

Hey, Bode's cousin had a terrible childhood being bounced back in forth between homes in the White Mountains of NH and the family coffee plantation on Hawaii. Just think about how shitty your life would have been having to suffer months on end in the ghettos of Hawaii, with nothing to do but surf and survive on macadamia nuts.