Young'en Procedure

ThinkSnow

If anyone has brought young children to blue, I have a couple questions on their procedures. (maybe applicable everywhere... I'm new to this kid stuff :) )

On Blue's site it says that children under 6 are free when accompanied by an adult, are they going to give me a problem because I have a season pass, or do they mean a "paying" adult.

Even tho they're free, do they need some type of lift ticket to get on the mountain?

Any knowledge is appreciated, as I'm trying to get my 4 and a half year old nephew on skis this year and want to know what I'm in for from the mountain.

i worked ticket check/security before they usually just print a blank pass for the child just like a regualy lift ticket and if its not busy the girls in the ticket office will usually make a funny drawing on it.. and thats their pass for the day

[aying/season pass is the same thing mainly.. they shouldnt give u any problems

yup you need to go to the window. i would suggest putting him in the explorers program if you want him to take a lesson. i worked there last year, and its amazing how quickly some kids can pick up skiing when taught the right way. i'm not saying you dont know what your doing when it comes to teaching someone to ski, but you said you are unfamiliar with takign a kid skiing, and kids need to be taught differently than adults. it will also give you some time to go cruise around while your nephew learns how to ski with other kids his own age.

Justo,

It is true, I am not familiar with teaching kids to ski, but I have heard that most of the programs for kids in the poconos act more as a babysitter than a teacher. I do want him to learn, but if they're gonna just hold onto him while I ski, I'd rather keep him. I have a season pass, so I don't mind going up, getting some hot cocoa, skiing for a half hour, getting more cocoa and going home. I got a lot of good pointers from people on this board (there is an old thread somewhere).

We will see, maybe I'll take him once to see how he likes it, and then see how the lessons look after that.

Thanks for the info

Yeah, holding a season pass is exactly the same as buying a day ticket when getting a free pass for a kid. Doesn't have to be your own kid, or anything. As a matter of fact, you might look into getting him a free season pass, if you plan on taking him a few times. Just call the office and tell them you have a step son...

The Montage policy was that even season pass holding parents had to go to the ticket window for a comp pass for their kid every time they skied. I told them that was nuts and that if they wanted my business, they had to make her a season pass. Montage is a crappy place to take a kid skiing if you can't ski down to one of the lifts, then ride up and ski over to the lodge. It's like three long flights of stairs otherwise. There was just no way I was buying us a family season pass, then standing in line 30 times for her to ski. And they faught me over this year again, which helps explain why they lose money.

Yeah, holding a season pass is exactly the same as buying a day ticket when getting a free pass for a kid. Doesn't have to be your own kid, or anything. As a matter of fact, you might look into getting him a free season pass, if you plan on taking him a few times. Just call the office and tell them you have a step son...

The Montage policy was that even season pass holding parents had to go to the ticket window for a comp pass for their kid every time they skied. I told them that was nuts and that if they wanted my business, they had to make her a season pass. Montage is a crappy place to take a kid skiing if you can't ski down to one of the lifts, then ride up and ski over to the lodge. It's like three long flights of stairs otherwise. There was just no way I was buying us a family season pass, then standing in line 30 times for her to ski. And they faught me over this year again, which helps explain why they lose money.

do you have a season pass to anywhere now?

Yep, they gave in last season and took her picture, even though they kept acting like it was the biggest waste of their time.

And we picked up our passes for this year last week. I was just waiting for them to tell her that she couldn't have her picture taken and get a pass...she would have gone postal.

i can assure you that the explorers program at blue mountain is not babysitting unless the kid makes it that way. if the kid wants to ski, then they teach him or her as much as they can fit into the allotted time period. if the kid doesnt want to ski, theres not really much you can do, whether he/she is in a lesson, or with their parents, the kid just wont ski. i had kids last year that went from first time on skis to out on the mountain skiing legitimate green circles and some easier blue squares in two days. its all about making it fun for the kid so they want to learn more and get better.