NC Resorts Open

OutCold

Ah yep.. I believe appalachain is opening too, I got an invite a couple of days ago, too far away.

now talk about a sick park scene, wow just wow, it is on our list to visit..

check out thier website, they apparently have a talented website guy who keeps the site very updated. http://www.appterrainpark.com/

flat-down-flat-down

Nope the mountain calls it an "M rail" and the two "flat" parts you mentioned aren't at the same pitch. So it could be a down-down-flat-down or a flat-down-up-down, or a up-down-up-down. Perhaps if you arranged it the other direction it could be a flat-down-down-down.

Ok question. If a mountain in North Carolina with and elevation of say 5,000 ft can open in the beginning of November why isnt there a New England resort with an elevation of 5,000 ft that would open in October?

There is alot to it. Doug explained some of it. It all depends on the way the wind and weather patterns are going. If cold air dips down into the midwest/carolina region but then it's forced back northward before hitting VT/ME because of the Jet stream that could also affect. I also think the ocean temps play a role in air temps. Since VT/ME is must closer to the warmer then freezing ocean, it helps to keep the air alittle warmer, but since the i think it's the Ozarks are further inland it can get much colder in the higher elevations.

Ok question. If a mountain in North Carolina with and elevation of say 5,000 ft can open in the beginning of November why isnt there a New England resort with an elevation of 5,000 ft that would open in October?

GSS did a great job explaining the reasons.

One other reason is that the southern Appalachians are more susceptible to convective cooling when the sun goes down. Convective cooling works like airconditioning. As the sun goes down the warm air rises up the mountain, expands and cools.

While it can get colder in the southern Apps at night, conversely it generally then gets warmer again than the northern Apps during the day. That's one of the reasons why the top of Mt. Washington, NH at 6288' is above tree line, while Mt. Mitchell, NC at 6684' is not above tree line.

Plus the bases of those areas in NC are at 4000'+, while the peaks of most NE resorts aren't that high.

These are all good reasons but my real question was why aren't there any NE mountains above 5k? Enviromental issues, land issues, is it just not possible at this point to have a new resort on the East Coast?

The climate in the White Mountains is about as harsh as that of the Rockies. Treeline out west is around 8,000 ft give or take 1 or 2k. In the Northeast its closer to 4,000 or 5,000 ft. I mean they had snow on Mt Washington in August for crying out loud!

Why has there never been an attempt to develop a higher elevation ski resort in the northeast?

These are all good reasons but my real question was why aren't there any NE mountains above 5k? Enviromental issues, land issues, is it just not possible at this point to have a new resort on the East Coast?

The climate in the White Mountains is about as harsh as that of the Rockies. Treeline out west is around 8,000 ft give or take 1 or 2k. In the Northeast its closer to 4,000 or 5,000 ft. I mean they had snow on Mt Washington in August for crying out loud!

Why has there never been an attempt to develop a higher elevation ski resort in the northeast?

I heard there are a few companies looking into the prospects, now that we have indoor slopes, to bring us man made mountains.

I'm sure Vt wont have a problem with say, an addition to Mt. Wash?