hmmmm

Ski

Okay, a warm, sunny opening day and Cannonball was cool. Just one Ranger-guy hanging around bitching about the kids building a hit about halfway down on the left...the slope was empty otherwise.

Came back in the pm with my little maniac to find that there's now a 7-day-a-week shuttle to the lodge door? That's awesome if you want to use the lodge for a home-base instead of just jumping on a north face run.

Aside from what's open, none of the other slopes are even close to having coverage and need days of blowing.

I was up there tonight too. Cannonball was really good. The snow was decent and the crowd was low. It felt awesome to be back out on the snow. Spike looked like it was covered, and boomer had the first headwall full. I hope it lasts the rain tomorrow.

Montage seems to have a little less snowmaking power then other mountains or they are just not as aggressive i know that power outage last week didn't help them but, didn't they have to close last year for a week during a warm spell b/c they didn't have enough snow? (or was that someone esle)

It's run by a county that's basically bankrupt. They can't manage to hire someone that knows how to update their website...even opening day was announced in a tiny, scrolling marquee that was surrounded by year-old information. As long as they are able to stay open, I'm fine with small crowds and 'fair' snowmaking.

The people that work at Montage seem a helluva lot more friendly than anywhere else in the Poconos. Rangers at CB set the tone for that place...and it's not a good tone. If a Montage 'triangle guy' gets and attitude, we beat him up and send him to work at Camelback.

at montage you can basically do what you want. last nite we were building a jumo and had a shovel we stole from the lifties and the ski guys told us to bring it back whenever.

Thats awsome, I wish certain other ski areas would be even half that laid back in their rules, or maybe the enforcement.

Everyones laid back if you get to know them. I dont know how it is a montage, but the people at boulder are nice and friendly as hell. Alot of the times they leave the rakes and shovels in a tree somewhere, and people can regroom stuff. Blue seems to be friendly too, but I've only been there a few times.

CB leaves the rakes in the woods, but I'm sure if a ranger saw you you could kiss your ticket goodbye. I was refereing to CB when I made the comment. Really the whole ranger program fosters a lousy mountains customer relationship. Most places the first aid is the same group who will clip your ticket, there job is to keep people safe, they are there to make a difference. At CB they are there to catch people doing stuff, the emphasis is shifted, and that kinda of position just begs for power hungry people to apply. And you're right most people are cool if you get to know them, but most rangers are not (with a few exceptions).