Box Building

Rideburton

hey im going to make some boxes on the off season for next year. Does anyone know what i need and where to get it. I know i need the basic stuff, wood, plastic, and such. Im just having a hard time finding a place to buy the plastic. Ive called around to home depot, lowes, etc. but they dont seem to know what im talking about.

Edited by Rideburton

no its harder than that, i've been on the same quest. you can open up the yellowpages and look for plastic suppliers, i found one by me named EMCO that sells 4x8' sheets of it, or you go online. I think the site i was looking at was industrial plastic supply

Go to the local hockey rink and ask where they ger the plastic for their boards. Its actually called puck board. Works great as a top sheet on boxes.

whats the actuall name of the plastic that they use on most boxes and stuff. Im trying to build some stuff for summer rail jams this year and was wondering what the best surface to use for boxes is.

yeah. just use formica. its cheap and does the job just as good. no need to spend a fortune. most of the stuff that i use for my boxes and rails is just stuff that i find laying on the side of the road. i only spent $8 on supplies for the next box that i plan on making, a c box.

If i made a box, i think i'd use sheet metal, kinda like the flat down box/rail at blue (top of sidwinder), even though that's actually steel plate. I'd cut plywood to size, and then wrap sheet metal around the plywood, so there aren't any sharp edges. OR, i'd just use plexiglass/lexan, which they DO sell at homedepot- you just gotta look hard for it. I don't know about this polyethylene stuff- i can't find it, or a realistic price/size. I think it would work the best, because ski/snowboard bases are made of polyethylene. :confused What the hell does blue use, like on the cracker barrel- it's like an inch thick- definitely not plexiglass.

Make it out of cheese...seriously.

I've seen great features made from all the materials mentioned, I guess the point of this post is just to say that it depends on how much you want to spend. I would recommend all the materials suggested, but I've had some of the most fun on some of the cheapest features ever. Like 2x4s rigged up with ghetto PVC coping.

Edited by freeridintre

Make it out of cheese...seriously.

I've seen great features made from all the materials mentioned, I guess the point of this post is just to say that it depends on how much you want to spend. I would recommend all the materials suggested, but I've had some of the most fun on some of the cheapest features ever. Like 2x4s rigged up with ghetto PVC coping.

just like at Mt Mik... i'll have to let you know when me and justo are setting something up this summer. we will probably have some jammy jams after the season when we steal snow from Blue.

me and my friend are building a box right now, its 10 ft long about 8 in wide...hopefully it works well...im not sure what the topsheeet material is called it was just laying around my house......we already have an 6ft rail