New lights?

Matt80

This is fantastic news! I was just skiing with Ski on Whistler, and the trail was reminiscent of a dark alley. Seriously.

If you notice, Whistler doesn't actually have any of its own lights as of now. Everything it gets is from the huge towers of lights and any spillover from lit trails. It was open maybe a week or 2 a year for a long time and actually went a few years totally closed.

Whistler relies on the running lights of airplanes coming in and out of Avoca.

The upper slopes are just okay...Switch is a little tight, as opposed to edge to edge, and Mainline and Whistler are fine. But I don't know why people are bitching about the NF conditions. Cannonball was great tonight, although the lack of base depth makes it bumpy and the second headwall compression takes you by surprise. I just lapped CBall and didn't hit Smoke, but it looked decent as well.

It is pretty bad day today so dont go nuts if Ryan does not do anything today. I promise that he will do something as soon as the snow hardens up enough. It is my understanding that his crew is here through the weekend.

Edited by liftguy

• 3 weeks later...

Pure white light is NOT what you want for night skiing. It adds no contrast to the white snow. Yellowish/orangish lights work the best at night (sort of like how yellow lenses work best for night skiing, and yellow foglights work the best for cutting thru fog and snow). Big Boulder has white lights, and it makes it so tough to see.

Pure white light is NOT what you want for night skiing. It adds no contrast to the white snow. Yellowish/orangish lights work the best at night (sort of like how yellow lenses work best for night skiing, and yellow foglights work the best for cutting thru fog and snow). Big Boulder has white lights, and it makes it so tough to see.

Jeff, until you experience just how dim the current one's are, it's hard to imagine...they really are that dim. So far I've noticed one new one at the top of Smoke's upper headwall; one halfway down Cannonball; and, there's one between Switch and Spike. I went ahead and bought clear lenses for night skiing until they get busy with the changeover.

Jeff, until you experience just how dim the current one's are, it's hard to imagine...they really are that dim. So far I've noticed one new one at the top of Smoke's upper headwall; one halfway down Cannonball; and, there's one between Switch and Spike. I went ahead and bought clear lenses for night skiing until they get busy with the changeover.

if you're going from nothing to super bright white, i guess thats an improvement, but for ease of seeing terrain changes and little bumps and ridges here and there, yellow light works the best.

ski, i've found that oakley's high intensity lenses work better at night then clear lenses.

Perhaps someone can teach me a thing or two on how lenses work. Because I can't understand how filtering light out (ie, using colored lenses) works w/ night use.

You'd think the letting the max amount of light into your eye would be best for low light (night) skiing.

i dont know about normal skiing, but for skiing in the park white lights is exactly what we want, skiing at boulder's park in the night is very enjoyable.

Until you've ridden Mountain Creek's superpipe at night (which looks like might not happen again this year), you haven't experianced good light. They have it setup for with "TV lighting" which basically just means a giant pile of white stadium lights, and it is actually more contrast than during the day. It would be impossible to do that across the whole mountain, but damn is it nice. I think for lighting number of lights is more important than color, as soon as you start getting areas in shadow you are asking for trouble.