P-tex burning?

Glenn

Does any one know the mealting tempature of p-tex? I though it was meantoned but can't find it (300ish?). I found out last year that p-tex sticks fit into the mini hot glue guns, but mine wasn't hot enough. I found the other day that the high temp guns are 380 degrees and only ~$2 at walmart, so it might work for a low cost p-tex gun.

Thanks

I know a normal glue gun won't melt it. A butane (sp?) filled one will, and a candal will most of the time. If it works, let us know.

Ski999 might know the melting temp of PTex...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The P-Tex I use has a melting point of 275 degrees. I think it's pretty standard. If you use a glue gun, it has to be the kind that gets really hot. I ruined a couple of cheap ones...

Thanks, I'll have to test that out. I think I saw a 300 and 380 degree gun. I let you know the results

Edited by pyro_boarder

• 3 weeks later...

actually a blowtorch would be optimal if you cant afford a ptex gun. blowtorches help limit nasty black carbon build up. if you can, buy a ptex gun. repairs are far faster and better because the new ptex is melted in with the surrounding base ptex for a really great fill.

Edited by skitzo

With practice you can get the p-tex candle to give you the blue flame & very little soot. Try holding it very close to the base so that the liquid p-tex just flows into the gouge. And It does burn like HELL when hits your skin. I prefer the soldering (sp?) iron method to melt in p-tex repairs,