P-tex burning?

Glenn

Ok, so my bro bought this p-tex to repair his base, and I guess he read somewhere on the internet to use a candle, and just drip the p-tex in. So I give him a hand, we end up setting the p-tex on fire, after being on fire for about 30 secs the p-tex finally starts dripping, but when it drips its got all this black ash like burnt stuff with it. So basically, I'm if this is supposed to happen (I assume not), and what to do to prevent this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so my bro bought this p-tex to repair his base, and I guess he read somewhere on the internet to use a candle, and just drip the p-tex in. So I give him a hand, we end up setting the p-tex on fire, after being on fire for about 30 secs the p-tex finally starts dripping, but when it drips its got all this black ash like burnt stuff with it. So basically, I'm if this is supposed to happen (I assume not), and what to do to prevent this.

you can just light the ptex on fire, as you did, and drip it in. Not the best way to do it, but for quick repairs, you can.

Yeah, it doens't look so weird anymore, it looks black, but a more normal black. We probobly should have taken it in for the size of the gash, but my bro doesn't have the money for the work, and my mom just paid for stone grind this summer, so I don't think should we be all about paying again to get it pathed.

Unless you have a good heat source meant for p-tex, it's always a sketchy thing to do on your own. Because it's so messy, it helps to put tape around the hole like when you are painting a window frame.

And if you want to try something funny, drip some burning p-tex on someone you don't like...it's a lot like napalm.

Unless you have a good heat source meant for p-tex, it's always a sketchy thing to do on your own. Because it's so messy, it helps to put tape around the hole like when you are painting a window frame.

And if you want to try something funny, drip some burning p-tex on someone you don't like...it's a lot like napalm.

:lol:lol

Alright thanks for the help. My bro got 3 sticks of it, because it was so cheap, so I think we will be doing our own work for a little while. But thanks for the advice, and the torture technique.

Hmm... I feel like taking apart a hot glue gun now.

Let me know what you find inside. I tried to find info on modifying/building a hot glue gun online, but all I found was info on building/modifying other stuff that used a hot glue gun in the process :banghead . Anyways, its got to b pretty simple. Probobly just a simple cicuit with the correct material to heat up. Just don't know what that material is, and the cirucuit that will work without blowing the power in the house :nono .

Ok. I'm Still alive. The one I have, is just wires going into two contacts That are placed on oppisite sides of some kind of metal. No other components in side. I don't know what kind it was but I'm assuming that was the heating element. It looks like you could get a hotter element in there, but then you might melt the casing. It's probaly doable if your careful. I can get pics if you want.

Ok.  I'm Still alive. The one I have, is just wires going into two contacts That are placed on oppisite sides of some kind of metal.  No other components in side.  I don't know what kind it was but I'm assuming that was the heating element.  It looks like you could get a hotter element in there, but then you might melt the casing.  It's probaly doable if your careful.  I can get pics if you want.

Pics would be cool, but not neccessary. Probobly will look into a real ghetto version with no housing, so as to avoid any kind of problems, or a metal housing with ruber insulating. Not sure yet.

You would need at least part of the casing to hold the moving parts you could probly cutsome holes in it and fan cool the element.  I will get some pics up when I find the software to install the camera.  Or my sister gets off the other computer.

What moving parts? It just on a gun the only thing that moves is the trigger, which pushes the stick forward from the back where, its cool anyways.

Yeah the trigger moves and then you need some thing to keep the nossile thing from pushing out forward. Just to clerify myself when I said casing I ment the whole outside of the gun that holds all of the parts in side. By the way the gun I have is from the dollar store. Good for experimenting, but the highest quality.

If you're interested in some stuff that works better than drip P-Tex candles, http://www.tognar.com/base_repair_tools_ir...ges_damage.html

They have stuff which is almost as hard as your original base, which might work better for the kind of gash you're describing. They also have one of those special irons for heating it. Then again, all these things take money, so maybe modifiying a glue gun is better.

basically, im guessing the glue guns use the electricity from the wires to heat the element (which in this case is metal) so basically you would need to generate a lot more electricity to be able to melt the p-tex. the main problem i see is that with the amount of power you put in the gun, you might set fire to your face, hands, and clothing, or your house, i mean for the risk i would rather pay $200 for a p-tex gun then pay thousands for repairs to your house/body (insurance only covers so much, i mean if they found out you set fire to your house from using a suped up glue gun, they would laugh in your face), or hey you could always take it to a shop and get it repaired by professionals for even cheaper, i mean i would rather do that then going McGuyver on a hot glue gun :nono:

It's more than saving money, I love hacking my own tools computers etc. It's always fun to break stuff and rebuild it better than before. So yes, its dangerous, but I dont think I will burn down the house, I'm a little more cautious than that. Likewise, I don't think I will burn myself, as long as I'm careful.