Elks Conditions?

nick malozzi

I havent personally been up since saturday morning but according to people who have been up there since the storm: It was a pretty good mess on saturday night into sunday; with a few inches of icy sluchy mess, but they got around 4-5 inches on sunday and the snow on the mountain is supposed to be pretty nice with no real bad ice. Also with the cold temps they should be making lots of snow and by thursday they should have the Schuylkill/ Wissahickon open as well as Slalom. If anyones been up there on sunday afternoon/monday they can chime in. Hope this helps.

i went up yesterday and it was pretty nice. The deleware opened up and the snow on that was perfect. The Tioga was only okay. that side of the mountain gets a lot of wind and the tioga doesn't have as much tree cover so there was a lot of hardpack. i actually didn't hit the tunkhannock or susquehanna, but i guess they were decent. They were blowing snow on the slalom and the park, so they should be open soon.

Edited by kate

Just got back from two days at Elk. When I left around 4:00 today there was 2" of fresh and it was still snowing. Conditions are excellent, the only ice is on the top headwall of Tunk. Some of the bumps are thin on Seneca, but overall, this has been the best early season skiing in years at Elk.

They were grooming the mounds of snow in the terrain park and should have it open by the wknd. I think they are going to blow some more on Slalom before opening, and they were blowing in the Snow bowl but not on Schuylkill that I saw Tues/Wed.

They did have a gang of guns lined up for placement on the West side of the mtn and will be starting to blow there soon. It was too warm today to blow and there weren't any guns howling, it sure was peaceful!

The ice storm that hit the A and places down south did not affect Elk at all, there's about 12" of natural snow surrounding the mtn. A rain storm is predicted for the weekend with a changeover to snow after the storm passes. Binghampton NY weather is a closer match to Elks' weather than the WB/Scranton forecasts, Elks' altitude creates its own weather micro-climate. I've seen it snowing at the mtn while 1 mile away at my cabin the sun's shining.

That's it for today. I'll keep the list updated as the season goes on.

Rummy

i heard there was some kind of $10 ticket after 12 deal at elk. is this true, or is there anything like this?

starting Jan. 2, and every Wed. throughout the season there's a $15 all day ticket available to students with ID. The promo is called Wild Wednesdays and used to be $10. Most Weds. there is a band playing in the bar in the late afternoon, and Coors or Miller light girls show up with handouts. They've been known to give away boards too during different promos, usually on the weekends though.

Rummy

just got back from elk. got there this morning for opening and was on the slopes until about 330. Stopped at a friends on the way home for some grub and a movie, and then headed home. the conditions were absolutely excellent. A real treat after riding bear creek last night. most of the closed trails that you could see from the lifts probably could have been opened, but they were not groomed yet. seems like they should be damn near 100% in the next week or so. Actually i know they will cause my buddy reed makes the snow, and he is the man!