New to Area

funkmaztafox

Topic says it all. I'm moving to NJ this weekend for work until mid-may. Until mid-march I will have weekends free and have been scouting out the local boarding spots within 2-2.5 hr driving distance. Bear Creek seems to have quite a nice bit of terrain for its size, and is only about an hour and a half from where I'll be living (NJ side of Del Mem Bridge).

Planned on heading out to Bear Creek on either Fri (1/11) or sat (1/12) for some boarding, wondering who the locals might be, see if anyone wanted to ride and/or show me around. Probably rent a cheap hotel and perhaps pull a two-day gig...just depends really.

Also, I noticed on their website the 'Sasquatch' card ??? It says the card is $50, and basically gives around a 10% discount on lift tickets. Seems reasonable, but what caught me was that it says with it you also get one free anytime lift ticket. So for $2 cheaper than a normal lift ticket you get a lift ticket AND discounts on all future lift tickets? I just wanted to get that straight, just thought I might ask here before calling BC themselves. I figured that would be better over a season pass just because I dont know how often I'll be able to make it up there.

Thanks for the patience :banghead

Cheers,

billy

P.S. - and i'm 22 incase it matters. intermediate boarder looking to expand into freestyle.

Topic says it all. I'm moving to NJ this weekend for work until mid-may. Until mid-march I will have weekends free and have been scouting out the local boarding spots within 2-2.5 hr driving distance. Bear Creek seems to have quite a nice bit of terrain for its size, and is only about an hour and a half from where I'll be living (NJ side of Del Mem Bridge).

Planned on heading out to Bear Creek on either Fri (1/11) or sat (1/12) for some boarding, wondering who the locals might be, see if anyone wanted to ride and/or show me around. Probably rent a cheap hotel and perhaps pull a two-day gig...just depends really.

Also, I noticed on their website the 'Sasquatch' card ??? It says the card is $50, and basically gives around a 10% discount on lift tickets. Seems reasonable, but what caught me was that it says with it you also get one free anytime lift ticket. So for $2 cheaper than a normal lift ticket you get a lift ticket AND discounts on all future lift tickets? I just wanted to get that straight, just thought I might ask here before calling BC themselves. I figured that would be better over a season pass just because I dont know how often I'll be able to make it up there.

Thanks for the patience :banghead

Cheers,

billy

P.S. - and i'm 22 incase it matters. intermediate boarder looking to expand into freestyle.

where in nj are you gonna be staying? i live in south jersey too(about 15 minuits from the del mem bridgs) and head up to bear creek 2-7 times a week, so if your down for it we could carpool or whatnot. that being said, 5 days or so on the hill pays for an offpeak pass, which is what i would reccomend. wouldnt mind showing you around the pocono high peaks either haha

Edited by vincent vega

Dont you think camelback is a little far for nj?

he should go to Blue and Bear first, then check out Big Boulder since he said he want to migrate to the darkside.

Welcome to the board, since you are new to the board it would be really awesome to have you report AFTER you have visited the different places.

where in nj are you gonna be staying? i live in south jersey too(about 15 minuits from the del mem bridgs) and head up to bear creek 2-7 times a week, so if your down for it we could carpool or whatnot. that being said, 5 days or so on the hill pays for an offpeak pass, which is what i would reccomend. wouldnt mind showing you around the pocono high peaks either haha

I'll be staying in a little town called Pennsville. It's the last town before you get to the DMB. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to catch your info. About how far from the DMB is BC? Considering that I work during the week and would get off around 4pm (at least until feb.) that might not be a bad idea. Also what's the total toll rate (not hugely important but good to know). We don't have a whole lotta tolls down in the southeast, so I'm always unprepared when I get up there. Are you interested in heading up next saturday?

i love bear but i want to warn you that right now there park is really bad 1 little jump, stairset, and 7 rails

Well I'm not anywhere near pro so something to that magnitude would probably be perfect for a beginner freestyler, right? I mean I can board quite well, but freestyle is a bit of a different tune. :ph34r: Like I said I want to expand into freestyling.

Welcome to the board, since you are new to the board it would be really awesome to have you report AFTER you have visited the different places.

Are you talking about having an outisder new to all parks post my opinion for others like myself, or correcting the fact that I am posting before I do anything? Sorry, if it is the latter.

Thanks for the info and warm welcome to the boards! Thanks for the suggestions on other places to visit. I hope to try out all three mentioned in this thread (Camelback, Blue, Bear Creek) when I have time on the longer weekend. I may give Spring Creek a shot.

Thanks again :chea:

Edited by funkmaztafox

I'll be staying in a little town called Pennsville. It's the last town before you get to the DMB. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to catch your info. About how far from the DMB is BC? Considering that I work during the week and would get off around 4pm (at least until feb.) that might not be a bad idea. Also what's the total toll rate (not hugely important but good to know). We don't have a whole lotta tolls down in the southeast, so I'm always unprepared when I get up there. Are you interested in heading up next saturday?

its 3 bucks to get out of jersey for tolls, then a few more on the way up. probobly around 10 total. i have company ez pass so it doesnt matter. its about an hour and a half or so from dmb, but about 45 minuits to an hour from where i live. im definately down to go up saturday. i cant ride until nights on weekends anyways so its all good.

its 3 bucks to get out of jersey for tolls, then a few more on the way up. probobly around 10 total. i have company ez pass so it doesnt matter. its about an hour and a half or so from dmb, but about 45 minuits to an hour from where i live. im definately down to go up saturday. i cant ride until nights on weekends anyways so its all good.

Right on. Yeah I knew the NJ Bridge tolls were all $3, but when I google map'd it from Pennsville to BC there were 2 or 3 other tolls along the way, and haven't been up that far. I take it you on the north side of the DMB on NJ side since you said it was shorter for you?

And just to clarify, it's not this Saturday but next Saturday, the 12th, although it sounds like you probably live at that mtn. haha. I've PM'd you my contact info so we can coordinate this. I dont mind driving but I have an Evo and the only way i've gotten my board in it before is lounging the front passenger seat :banghead, so I dont mind driving if you dont mind riding taxi, ha. Otherwise I have no problem at all compensating for gas/tolls/etc.

Look forward to it~ :ph34r:

I suppose I'll post my findings here... and this may not be news to anyone but oh well, every little bit helps IMO

I talked to someone at BC's phone number about the 'Sasquatch Card'. Turns out if you buy the card for $50 ($2 cheaper than a weekend all-day lift ticket), you DO get a free anytime lift ticket, there was no mistake there.

So anyone not interested enough to buy a season pass, but still interested enough to go a few times should definately look into it, considering you save 10% on all lift ticket purchases too...

link here

Edited by funkmaztafox

Pennsville is only like 20 minutes from where I work it's not that bad of a drive to camelback although if he's looking for a terrain park he shouldn't bother with camelback though. I'm not a park person but blue might be your best bet... BB too but that's a little farther drive.. either way any of them are day trips....I do it once a week.