help me decide

Barb

I am trying to throw together a trip the weekend before Easter. I have 3 free kids lift tickets to Hunter and its closer. But Stratton is bigger, maybe not as crowded but the US open will be there starting that Monday so maybe it will be crowded. I would like slopeside lodging since, unfortunately, my husband doesn't really ski and I will be going out on the snow with the kids alone. I have 1 free Stratton lift ticket that I won in that contest. Input appreciated.

I am trying to throw together a trip the weekend before Easter. I have 3 free kids lift tickets to Hunter and its closer. But Stratton is bigger, maybe not as crowded but the US open will be there starting that Monday so maybe it will be crowded. I would like slopeside lodging since, unfortunately, my husband doesn't really ski and I will be going out on the snow with the kids alone. I have 1 free Stratton lift ticket that I won in that contest. Input appreciated.

I wouldn't base your whole decision on having ONE free lift ticket. Stratton is a big wide open mountain with very little "challenging" terrain. I would also personally avoid it during the US Open week, it will be packed. Huntah is clser, but more a 1-2 day mountain with not much to do. I would suggest Okemo, Mt. Snow or even Killington, all have a lot to do in the area and a good amount of slopeside units. I see you have been to BB 8 times this year, do you have a pass? If so, I think PEak Resorts, BB owner has some areas in VT, Mt Snow, and your pass might give you a discount there.

already checked, peak used to give a pass but now since they offer their Noreaster pass they do not give any discounts to those resorts. I have family that has a place at Stratton and of the Vermont resorts its pretty far south. The difference between 6 hours and 8 hours in the car with 2 kids is a huge deal to me. I usually want to strangle both of them just on the ride up to the Poconos. I know Hunter gets very crowded but it can't possibly be any worse than Bb on a given weekend. Oh and believe me, I am not going for the "challenging" terrain. I can fly down Bunny's Elbow this season without falling on my ass, and that's a big improvement from last season. That shoud give an indication of what kind of pathetically skilled rider I am. thanks for the input Philpug.

already checked, peak used to give a pass but now since they offer their Noreaster pass they do not give any discounts to those resorts. I have family that has a place at Stratton and of the Vermont resorts its pretty far south. The difference between 6 hours and 8 hours in the car with 2 kids is a huge deal to me. I usually want to strangle both of them just on the ride up to the Poconos. I know Hunter gets very crowded but it can't possibly be any worse than Bb on a given weekend. Oh and believe me, I am not going for the "challenging" terrain. I can fly down Bunny's Elbow this season without falling on my ass, and that's a big improvement from last season. That shoud give an indication of what kind of pathetically skilled rider I am. thanks for the input Philpug.

Yes it can.

Stratton is pretty centrally located, you have there, Bromley, Magic, Mt. Snow and Okemo all w/in 30 minutes. But it will be a zoo during the "Open", if the place is free, stay there and ski other places.

I'd check out Stowe. It's a huge mountain so they can handle the crowds. They don't really have slopeside lodging, only the condo's by Toll Road which you can probably rent (in which case you're actually on the slope instead of to the side of it). Most hotel/motels are about 5 minutes down the road. There's also a bunch of stuff to do in the town itself so if someone isn't skiing they should be able to find something.

I'd check out Stowe. It's a huge mountain so they can handle the crowds. They don't really have slopeside lodging, only the condo's by Toll Road which you can probably rent (in which case you're actually on the slope instead of to the side of it). Most hotel/motels are about 5 minutes down the road. There's also a bunch of stuff to do in the town itself so if someone isn't skiing they should be able to find something.

Read post #3. She doesn't want to travel 6 hours let alone the 8+ to Stowe, It will take 8 for her w/ 2 kids in the car and stops.

well hunter can get very crowded but the better question is what skiing ability are you. Hunter caters more to beginners and advanced skiiers, not very much intermediate terrian and the beinnnger and advanced trails are not integrated at all, there is on area, Hunter One, and a another lift for beginners and then there is the main mtn which is more advanced, i realized this 2 years ago when i went with my mom and little sister, there really wasnt much terrian for her as an intermediate skier and it wasnt a fun time for her, if you want to stay inthe catskill area check out Wyndam. and stratton is going to be packed durring the US and that might make it less croweded at other southern VT resorts, such as okemo, MT snow and Magic, or even Bromley which is rarley crowded.

Erm. i was slopeside in a condo at stowe 2 years ago.

Edited by Dan-

Agree with what romemadman said about hunter. It is a great place to take someone on their first day, but from then on until they can do blacks/double blacks and enjoy it, all day, it is not the place. Hotshots love it because it has the gnarliest trails south of Vermont, but aside from Belt Parkway there is nothing for intermediates. I assume you are talking your child who is probably an intermediate/blue skier, so it wouldn't be the place.

As for Stratton, its a good fit for a trip but the US Open that week will make it more crowded/expensive than usual. Okemo or Mount Snow or Bromely are probably better choices. I'm staying at Mount Snow next week for 5 days and we all have the free stratton tickets too so we're just going to drive from our place at Snow over for a day at Stratton to mix it up, and then just go back to Snow that afternoon. I think its like a 40 minute drive each way which is no big deal. I have done Mount Snow and Okemo but not Bromely. I like them for a trip with intermediates a lot, plenty of trails but not too much that is over their head. I personally thing Mount Snow is a bit better for a mixed group than Okemo becuase Okemo is kind of all intermediate, while Mount Snow does have some more challenging stuff, and a better park. But you can't really go wrong with either.

Going up farther for Killington/Stowe/Jay all the normal recomendations isn't worth it until you are bored by the blacks in southern vermont, unless you are interested in the town of Stowe which is the nicest in vermont.

looking like Bromley. Thank you romemadman. It is small for a Vermont resort, but compared to BB its huge. We dont need any special terrain, just uncrowded lift lines. I am pretty sure my fam can hook us up at Stratton, so maybe we'll check out that for a day. A full season of the Simpsons seemed to do the trick for the car ride last year to Vermont, hope it works again.

not a problem, we know a family who's grandparents live up there and they have old us that it rarely gets crowded, which is a bit funny becuase it is on the beaten path, everyone that goes to okemo for the most part, passes right by the base of bromley, the lifts are right there visible from the road.

just booked everything. We got slopeside lodging at the Boles. Reservation girl sent me pics, man are those condos dated. For the price, you would think they would be a bit more updated but I guess you are just paying for the convenience. Also a necessity. I have realized I can no longer stay in a hotel room with 2 kids. Thanks for all the input.