Anyone ever used epoxy?

PeterC0523

Has anyone ever used epoxy to seal up their board?

At Elk, we ended up hitting a rock or something and banged up my board a little. About a 2 inch length of my topsheet by the tip was lifted up (lifted area is about 1/4 inch deep) and was filled with dirt/mud. I scrapped out the dirt/mud and ordered a bunch of stuff from Tognar.

I got some of the high grade (slow curing) epoxy, an oyster knife, a syringe (to inject the expoy), and a C-clamp.

Should I clean out that damaged area further? If so, what should I use? Anyone have an general tips on epoxy use?

Thanks!

Has anyone ever used epoxy to seal up their board?

At Elk, we ended up hitting a rock or something and banged up my board a little. About a 2 inch length of my topsheet by the tip was lifted up (lifted area is about 1/4 inch deep) and was filled with dirt/mud. I scrapped out the dirt/mud and ordered a bunch of stuff from Tognar.

I got some of the high grade (slow curing) epoxy, an oyster knife, a syringe (to inject the expoy), and a C-clamp.

Should I clean out that damaged area further? If so, what should I use? Anyone have an general tips on epoxy use?

Thanks!

Ohh, this is tricky buisness. First I would email/call the manufacturer and see if they will repair/replace it. Espeacially if it doesn't look like you obviously hit a rock (aka abrasions). If the top sheet is seperating thats generally a manufacturing defect, however if you split the board open that is another matter. As far as repairing it yourself, if you have a wood core, I would just replace the board, because any moisture that gets in there will make the board swell and get super heavy, flimsy, not peform correctly etc. If you have a sythnthetic core I would say clean as best as you can, but still dont use anything wet as you don't want to seel mosture in. Epoxy is probobly your best bet, but you still may run into performance problems. You should really try to get it fixed/replaced by the manufacturer, or replace it yourself though.

I had that problem with an edge after a certain someone (who will remain nameless) was on my slalom skis and hit a rock.

The edge started to delaminate....I brought it to the shop and they fixed it up for me.

Not sure what that has to do with your question, but it may be the best to just bring it to a shop and see if they can do it for you.

Thanks for all the input!

I contact Lib Tech and they informed me that they the topsheet peeling off is a defect. I could send it in and they would fix it, but they won't replace it with a new one. Down side is that it'll take a while and I'd have to take care of ths shipping costs myself.

The online store I ordered it from said that they'd do the same, but also wouldn't cover shipping. So I think I'm just gonna give the epoxy a try. Read up on it a little online, wish me luck!

Does anyone know if hot waxing later down the line (after the epoxy has fully dried and been sanded down) would melt the glue at all? Should I be cautious about hot waxing over the epoxied part?

Edited by PeterC0523

If it were me and my equipment, I would send it out. I love being at the mountain, and even a day not there sux, but imagine how many more days you will miss if you screw up your board more permanately. I would imagine any home done repair void whatever warrenty they have. Additionally if they do it, it will be done right. They may use epoxy, but I would leave it up to them. It can't be THAT expensive to ship. It must certainly be cheaper than replacing your board. Just my opinion though. As ski dude said, the base will burn before your epoxy will let up. That stuff is REALLY strong.

Well... finished epoxying a few hours ago. Everything went fine, just gotta let it cure for 24 hrs and sand it down.

As I was filling the one lifted area, I noticed a couple of other areas where there's a SLIGHT lift/dink. Think it'll be a bad idea to put a thin line of epoxy right under the topsheet along the sides as a preventative measure?

Well... finished epoxying a few hours ago. Everything went fine, just gotta let it cure for 24 hrs and sand it down.

As I was filling the one lifted area, I noticed a couple of other areas where there's a SLIGHT lift/dink. Think it'll be a bad idea to put a thin line of epoxy right under the topsheet along the sides as a preventative measure?

If its not gunna hurt the big problem it wont hurt the little problems. Go for it.

wait, is this on your base, or the top of your board?

If it were me and my equipment, I would send it out. It can't be THAT expensive to ship. It must certainly be cheaper than replacing your board. Just my opinion though.

Since I threw out the box I got the board in, I'd have to buy a new box and pay for shipping both ways. It would probably end up being around $50. Since I already ordered all the tools necessary to do it myself (which ended up costing around $40 including S/H) I decided to take care of it on my own.

Not to mention, I'd rather learn how to do it now and be able to apply it in the future than have to rely on other people. I'm kinda the same way with my car.

The other day I saw my soccer coach at CB.  This kid I was riding with ran over the back of his skis.  You should have seen the look he got.  It was like "I should kill you now."

As it should be. Equipment is to expensive to have complete strangers, or a friend of a member of the team you coach mess it up because of carelessness.

Exactly.  I would do the same thing.  Another story about stupid people.  Aperantly some idiot on a snowboard wanted to get out of the lift line so he kind of walks/rides over a bunch of peoples skis.  I wanted to see them just knock him out.  People are stupid.

These are the people who need their ticket clipped!

I doubt it would cost $50 dollars to send your board. It cost me 8 dollars to send skis 2-3day shipping. And you wouldn't have had to buy a box, just ask around, and modify some other boxes. And If my skis were starting to delam I definatley wouldve sent them in. But I'm sure your home repair will last.

yea i get so pissed if i fel ppl even touch my board b/c my top is so eaisly sccratches and i hacve a huge scrape but the black is still there bubt scratched and i was so pissed when i saw these gashes down past the topsheet of like paint to the top of the next layer ad i want to fix it bit i don't know how

this prob happened b/c when i carve u in vt i lean so much on the easier turn when i am bored thatb my elbows hit the snow