Mountain terms?

SkiDevil

You've got some doubles there

Summit elevation and Top elevation mean the same thing. Which is the height, measured in feet above sea level, of the top of the mountain.

Vertical rise/drop is the difference between the summit elevation and the base elevation. This tells you how tall the mountain is vertically.

Summit elevation

Top elevation

Vertical Rise

Vertical Drop

hmmmm... Are you in some type of argument? You could have 1000 ft of verticle rise on a lift, but 1100 feet of skiable verticle drop if you hike to a summit and skied all the way down as far as you can go.

Summit means the top of a peak - lifts don't always go all the way to the top at resorts.

Top Elevation might mean the top of a trail. guesssing would need to see it in context.

Verticle rise - the distance from one point to another, up

Verticle Drop - the distance from one point to another, down

You can just go with what Schifdawg said. It's that simple. Eh, the summit is the top and you drop what you rise.

IDK, I think I agree with Papa about top vs. summit. Top is where the lifts go, which could be the summit, or the summit may be higher. For most (all?) PA mountains summit = top though.

IDK, I think I agree with Papa about top vs. summit. Top is where the lifts go, which could be the summit, or the summit may be higher. For most (all?) PA mountains summit = top though.

Ha, sounds like a Clinton definition of sex argument. IMO, using 'top' is just more casual than using 'summit'. If you start to add references to 'lift serviced', then I can see definitions changing. But it's just IMO...

Or, if you add "a resort's top elevation" is often not the summit elevation even in the Poconos.

I think some resorts use a summit that is not lift-serviced to determine their "vertical". I am pretty sure that they used to do that here, count the summit with the cell phone tower, which you have to hike up to. I notice in recent years we lost three hundred feet....