Chairlift broke my binding

Boarder1x9

So last night at bear creek on the quad on the right of the mountain (is it F) I went to get on, and when I sat down on the chair it broke my back binding. I guess it was lined up just right so when the chair went down from us sitting on it, it snapped. luckily it didn't totally ruin my binding I still rode the rest of the night, but it sucks, and I need a new one. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else ?

Who is they? I've never heard this.

uh the general snowboard population i guess... I heard about it along time ago...

There was a serious case of highbacks getting broken when burton released the Cartel binding with the locking flange. Chairlifts would crush the highback since it was locked in place.

So last night at bear creek on the quad on the right of the mountain (is it F) I went to get on, and when I sat down on the chair it broke my back binding. I guess it was lined up just right so when the chair went down from us sitting on it, it snapped. luckily it didn't totally ruin my binding I still rode the rest of the night, but it sucks, and I need a new one. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else ?

What kind of binding and what part of the binding broke?

Thats why they say, put your high back down... there's a reason for it... and you found out the hard way.

Yep, sorry to say but thats the truth its not a binding defect or a chairlift defect. Most chairlifts will hit your binding, just not low enough to cause damage. I make sure mine is lowered, make sure all the people I'm teaching & with know, and when I sell bindings with locking backs (Burtons) I tell them. They should have signs though, if they have signs to tell you to keep your ski tips up, a sign that says lower your highback would be warranted. I guess its not the mountain's problem but it would be helpful. I have definately seen signs at a mountain before - I think it was Belleayre.