My Faith in the Dumbness of CB has Been Restored

lurker

Yeah I think it was about 10:15 by the time we were done arguing/conversing and I was heading back to my car. So the offense was probably at around 10:05.

Edit: Haha, I don't know Skidude! A friendly flame war never did anybody any harm :P. Well, maybe it did. I wouldn't know :D.

Edited by lurker

It doesn't matter how the trail is closed, if we use signs, lollipops, net, or whatever. According to the responsibility code, you should obey all posted signs and warnings. I have had net, several closed signs, and all the postings you could possibly have and people still feel the need to "poach."

I can say I have poached a trail or two in the past also, but, my point is, if you get caught, own up to it and don't come up with excuses to justify your obvious disobedience. I am confident that you had a pretty good idea that it was closed and figured it was the last run so what the hell.

Another thing, don't assume that every ski area uses the same types of signage. The orange lollipops come with several different messages. It is your responsibility to know what they say and mean. Blatantly skiing/riding past a sign without knowing what it says could be a fatal mistake. For instance, some areas use the same size and type sign to mark off cliff areas.

:banghead

Well doesn't the fence need to come down after they close (after 10pm) anyway so they can run a groomer around?

Taking down fencing and closed signs and starting up the groomers while still running kids up that lift? Ha! Sounds like an awesome video game. Are squishing twin-tipppers worth the same as boarders or a CAT?

BTW, CB is open until the last GUEST is off the snow.

Edited by ski999

Haha, I was just saying that if the ski partol waits until 11 pm to start taking down closed signs it is going to be like 1130 before they can go home...Being they are mostly all voulenteers, I would assume they want to get out of there as soon as they can....So if they started taking down fences at 10:05 then they could be out of the by 1030ish.

I think the groomers roll out around 1115/1130 most nights.

It doesn't matter how the trail is closed, if we use signs, lollipops, net, or whatever. According to the responsibility code, you should obey all posted signs and warnings. I have had net, several closed signs, and all the postings you could possibly have and people still feel the need to "poach."

I can say I have poached a trail or two in the past also, but, my point is, if you get caught, own up to it and don't come up with excuses to justify your obvious disobedience.  I am confident that you had a pretty good idea that it was closed and figured it was the last run so what the hell.

Another thing, don't assume that every ski area uses the same types of signage. The orange lollipops come with several different messages. It is your responsibility to know what they say and mean. Blatantly skiing/riding past a sign without knowing what it says could be a fatal mistake. For instance, some areas use the same size and type sign to mark off cliff areas.

:banghead

:wacko: Yes, let me stop, put my glasses on read, the sign, comprehend what the sign is telling me, and then proceed. Eh, you may be ski patrol, but guess what, I'm paying to use the mountain, you're not. If the trail is closed, you shouldn't be able to just ski right down it. And for your information, no, I really, in the back of my mind, did not know the trail was closed, but the idiot Ranger did not believe me. I gave him a fake name anyway :lol: . The problem origantes when you give the policing power to a seperate entity. At Blue Mt, the ski patrol acts as a first aid AND the police, so they're main focus is to protect and help the people on the mountain. Camelback gives the policing duties to Rangers whose SOLE JOB is to seek out kids doing things such as speeding down a DIAMOND! And yes, alot of the rangers probably get off by pulling kids over, it must boost their self esteem, but ya know what, if thats what it takes, I guess they should go right ahead and do it. But without a uniform system, there is bound to be confusion, and mountains should address this. At the top of cliffhanger it is OBVIOUS, there is a net! Blue Mountain has retractable "police tape" all over the mountain, letting you know the trail is closed. To me, if you have to ski under something, you're definatly going to know its there. What about a wide trail like Raceway. What if you had two lolipos saying its closed, and someone comes skiing down the treeline? Things need to be done, so PAYING CUSTOMERS don't get pulled over, and bitched out, when we don't know what we did. The ranger that I dealt with kept asking what I thought I did. And I kept telling him, "I don't know, did I not use my blinker when i merged?" The whole attitude of the mountain just kills me. From the $2.25 or $2.50 sodas, to the cold french fries, to the spring loaded restraint bars on the lift (yea i hate when i take my feet off, how it springs up). But my biggest gripe is the trail closing signage. Little things like this keep people coming. Because once you pull someone over for doing something they didn't even know was wrong cause of the mountains neglagence, they WON'T come back. :o

:wacko: Yes, let me stop, put my glasses on read, the sign, comprehend what the sign is telling me, and then proceed. 

Actually, yes! I have to agree with the guy here... If there is a sign there, it is obviously there to tell you something. I've seen them say things from "expert only" to "cliff"... You should definitely know what it says before blowing by it.

Jeff, I am sorry, but something or other in that just struck a nerve or umm 3.

First off, you have been to CB many times, and most of the time (if not all of the time) it is feneced, and or lollypopped off (asp/hump to meadows).

Second, it is probably closed off so you don't go flying threw there, (coming from a dimond, and merging into a blue and a green at the same time can be a bad mix) so if you were going slow enough for the merging of the trails (which is somewhere or other on the resposiblity code) you would have been going slow enough to see the signs, and not cut threw.

At any resort I would slow down around lollypops, as they are usually put in the snow for some reason (usually a good reason).

As with anything once you know how it works, then you can find ways around it...As in once you know how to make the rangers happy enough, you know when to do a tuck run, and rip around, and when to make some turns. Really its just if there is a ranger around, come out of a tuck make a turn or 2 (so they know you are in control) and then drop back into the tuck, or keep making turns, and they leave you (or atleast me) alone.

Ok I am done posting on this topic for now (and atleast for atleast 2 minutes) or else I will get high blood pressure from all your crap ;)

And uhh one last thing, stop your blue whoring in CB's forum ;)

Perhaps maybe they can replace the lolipops with the banner tape that says CLOSED all across it. Thats what blue does that way there is no complication.

Hmm Raceway has a tape like that to block of nastar...And well it doesn't work....Maybe some lollypops would work better...Then again its always fun to get up on someones tails who is trying to ski a slalom that is set up for training and scream at them :D

Jeff, I am sorry, but something or other in that just struck a nerve or umm 3.

First off, you have been to CB many times, and most of the time (if not all of the time) it is feneced, and or lollypopped off (asp/hump to meadows).

uh no, sorry, it was during my second time at Camelback.

Second, it is probably closed off so you don't go flying threw there, (coming from a dimond, and merging into a blue and a green at the same time can be a bad mix) so if you were going slow enough for the merging of the trails (which is somewhere or other on the resposiblity code) you would have been going slow enough to see the signs, and not cut threw.

I'm sure the race team would NEVER use people as slalom gates on meadows, god forbid.

but my point is, its absurd to have multiple phrases on lolipops. When you see a red octagon, you KNOW its a stop sign. I've never seen a red octagon on the road that said "Camelback, next left". When you're used to seeing lolipops that say "Experts Only" at the top of Challenge, a great trail at Blue Mountain, you'd expect the same to be found on a Diamond, for people perhaps merging from Meadows to the bottom of the Asp? Sure I probably should have stopped, read it, and proceeded, but when your mind automatically reads it for you, and you know it says "experts only" you keep on going. But like I said, it was my second time there, and the Ranger failed to see what I was saying. Oh well...

but my point is, its absurd to have multiple phrases on lolipops.  When you see a red octagon, you KNOW its a stop sign.

Maybe there could be a better way to do things, but the lollipops are commonly used at a lot of resorts with all different things on them. You should be used to reading them.

Maybe there could be a better way to do things, but the lollipops are commonly used at a lot of resorts with all different things on them. You should be used to reading them.

blah blah...wasn't it you the other day who was AGREEING with me when we were skiing at Blue? :confused

Ok when I see a lolipop I stop or slow down to read it but thats just me. They shouldn't put closed on a lolipop because what if some idiot doesn't read it? At least with the tape there is no excuse why you are on a closed trail because you went right under the tape delibertly, but on a lolipop what if you are in the middle of the trail or in a spot on the trail and can't see the lolipop then what?

See when I see one, I think of it more as a closed or caution sign, not a experts only sign (as CB has the rectangle closed signs). Either way out west they will mark a whole cliff off with like 2 of those signs with a hand written 'cliff ahead' on them...Or something along those lines. Its just a good idea to slow down enough to see those things.

And people on the meadows as SL gates? Ahh no, not steep enough :devil:

But seriously, if I am coming from Tut onto meadows, I am usually on the far right side of Tut, and before I go left I look all around for any n00bs that may try to take me out (or that just are out of control and coudl be a hazard) ;)

How are you people going to follow part 284 secontion 243.52.9.628 of the skiers responsibility code (obey all posted warnings, etc) if you do not read the posted warnings?

Section B of that states, "The skier or snowboarder is not at fault if the neglagence of the mountain caused such an incident. The ski area is responsible for the maintence, and proper signage of all closed trails, obstacles, and hazords. They signs must be visible from no less then one hundred (100) feet away, and closed trail signs must be visible from no less then two hundred (200) feet away"