Digging Out

sibhusky

Heck, yeah! I postponed the work until I got home.

Here's the snow report for today, all about YESTERDAY:

Snow Report updated by Caeli:

(8 am update: 2 more inches have fallen since 5:30 am--total is 4 inches...)

Unbelievable. Hands down, yesterday was the best day of skiing this year. The good news is: there are sure to be more world class days. Last night we received 2 inches of fresh powder at the summit, bringing our snow total to 245 inches. Brace yourself--we are only halfway through the season. It remained cold all night and there wasn't any major wind, so I'm looking forward to what today will bring. The forecast calls for 2-4 inches of snow accumulation today.

Yesterday morning began with deep powder, bottomless at times, partly sunny skies, and people hooting and hollering all over the mountain because the skiing and boarding was AMAZING. The front side opened first, so the first full chairload of skiers migrated to Big Face where soft pillows of snow beckoned from the chair. At least 20 skiers descended at once, laying down rhythmic lines and sending up billows of powder. Next it was North Bowl Face and Haskills. Skiers and boarders were launching off the rocks into soft snow piles (don't try this unless you know what you're doing and you have great health insurance...) The constant onslaught of face shots made it hard to see, but who needed to see? Bad skiing was forgiven. Good skiing was immortalized (especially when retold at the 'stube last night).

The sound of dynamite subsided and then Hellroaring opened. Like traveling wildebeests, the entire mountain migrated to the West, driven by the desire for a fresh line. Watching this mass movement from Chair 1 was like being on safari in Africa. Packs skated down the cat track, dropping into Sling Shot, Picture Chutes, and Gray's Golf Course. The cliffs were almost invisible under the snow. Even the bottom of the Glory Hole and Hellfire were transformed into a gentle roller coasters--skiers and boarders seemed to converge seamlessly. Rare, indeed. The East Rim opened just before Hellroaring, and the pack beelined to the east, where First Creek and East Rim brought some of the best snow and shimmering rime covered trees.

The Backside was in deep. I heard stories of thigh deep powder in the trees, floaty turns, and untracked lines all day. It was good, really good.

• 2 weeks later...