Blue's Jumps

KevinThomas

Good intentions, but remember it is Blue Mountain. If you put a fence in plenty of people will still just ride over lips, the groomers will bitch that park crue will have to put the fence up and take it down, and ski patrol will whine because they aren't involved in every aspect of controlling signage and closures on the mountain.

All the jumps at Blue are tabletops except for one.

I'm not saying fences are unworkable, i'm saying fences like that are dangerous. Give me a hole to bail in and I'll be happy. Make it 2 foot wide so I can fit through in an emergency but it will deter most people and I'll be happy, I just don't want to end up sliding through a fence some day.

yea i agree with that, that's what i was trying to say before...that there's a little space to still squeeze by through, but still a large enough fence to deter people away.

Good intentions, but remember it is Blue Mountain. If you put a fence in plenty of people will still just ride over lips, the groomers will bitch that park crue will have to put the fence up and take it down, and ski patrol will whine because they aren't involved in every aspect of controlling signage and closures on the mountain.

haha so true. i just think something needs to be done to make the park safer, every single person i rode with this past weekend who was hitting jumps, myself included, had an encounter with getting cut off, or almost hit someone. my vote is stepover style jumps that are big and intimidating with real wide lips that leave people little space to "just ski by" and more space for the jumper to take off from.

in response to KT's image... extend the distance between the lip and knuckle, its a little disproportional, but it gets the idea across. we're slowly gathering evidence (video of people almost dying) so keith if you need any footage to show management that there's a problem, we'll help if we can. hopefully they finally realize you know more about the park than they do, and they let you do your thing. i know there's some good ideas being tossed around, and they need to happen. aside from everything thats been said about safety, which is definitely the foremost concern for everyone, have you thought about making the jump line 3 hits instead of 4? keep the first as it is, and push the second a little farther down, making it a bit longer as well, and use most of the snow from the 3rd to bring the lip of the 4th a little higher up hill and make the landing taller? no one's really hitting the 3rd right now because if you adjust speed for the 3rd, you're having to tuck into the 4th just to barely clear it. the landing on the 4th, as i think dan said earlier, doesn't leave much margin for error distance wise, but other than that, its a really fun jump, it could stand to be about 15 feet longer with some more kick though.

When I was there I guessed 25 feet but it has a nice step down. It could have changed though. When they made it, it really was not big at all.

eh, its a little bigger than that... maybe 30-35 max. its temp. though, and once they can blow more snow, plans are to make it much bigger. they need a bigger jump up there.

after last night and these warm temps, the jumps are tiny.

How is the park holding up? i havent been up for a week now, contemplating heading up tomorrow and/or friday, and probably saturday.. just wonder if it will be decent for a few hours, so i wont get up there and want to leave right away??

How is the park holding up? i havent been up for a week now, contemplating heading up tomorrow and/or friday, and probably saturday.. just wonder if it will be decent for a few hours, so i wont get up there and want to leave right away??

i'm going up tomorrow morning. i'll post a report about it when i get back. i hope its still decent. i'm sure it will be pretty soft, but i hope everything is still holding up well. i'm taking both sets of skis just in case the park isnt up to par.

i was in the park tonight and all of the lips looked swiss cheese-ish. some features were even closed, and the ones that were open had either a huge gap from lip, or no lip at all. the jumps weren`t toooo bad but idk how soon the parks going to be nice again =/

but as for the little terrain run goes, that thing was pretty fun tonight.

i was in the park tonight and all of the lips looked swiss cheese-ish. some features were even closed, and the ones that were open had either a huge gap from lip, or no lip at all. the jumps weren`t toooo bad but idk how soon the parks going to be nice again =/

fuck you rain. fuck you.

big gaps onto rails is not a bad thing. arent you on park crew?

big gaps onto rails is not a bad thing. arent you on park crew?

yes i am but no. these gaps werent just big, imagine the perfect lip to a rail , but then melt it down by like 5-6 inches and add a bunch of wholes and ridges and subtract any kind of pop that it would have. trust me. it wasnt a good thing..

fence = such a good idea. I just rode sidewinder for the first time earlier this week and the i like the way the jump line is setup. I think if they had one really good hit, like they made the last jump last year (in the springtime) they could keep the other jumps the same size but just give the lips a little more pop and set the landings at the same height as the lips. But I am happy that Kieth and the rest of park crew are stepping it up this year, the park is sooo much nicer than last season year