Loveland quick TR

Glenn

I made it to loveland today. The weather was really fowl and I didn't think any pictures would really look like anything, let alone do justice to how sweet today was. They got 7 inches of snow last night on top of windblown hardpack. All day it kept snowing and blowing hard. The top of the upper lifts were total whiteouts.

We started the day hitting the really steep stuff. It was a few good turns then some areas where the wind stripped everything, back into good snow. Also, since the base layer was so firm, any bumps under the fresh snow really bucked you hard. It was fun, but not that fun.

After a quick warmup in the lodge we headed to chair 8 on the other side of the highway. It's pretty mellow terrain, but 3/4 of the run is above the treeline, which means super windy, but also pretty smooth snow. We took maybe 8 runs down chair 8. If you really wanted to, you could avoid all other tracks even by the time we left. Snow came to my boot tops in most of the time, but some wind drifts put me in knee deep and deeper. I practiced powder 8's, powder 1's, powder wheelies, powder tomahawks, and snowblind whiteout "where did the ground go?" cliff drops.

Super fun day. Didn't put in the longest day, but the whiteouts and wind were beginning to take their toll on body and mind.

Edited by Glenn

Those are the best, its best though when your friend all of the sudden disappears.

I was near the lift when it happened and I got some cheers and jeers.

I heard loveland has been kind of full this year. Propaganda ?

Yeah I've heard that it's "as busy" as other resorts in the area. I thought the place was empty. Super close parking, didn't wait for any chairs, and for the most part on chair 8 it was 4 or 5 chairs empty in a row, then a half full chair, then 4 or 5 more empties. No high speed lifts, so I think thats what the deal is. Being a weekday it's hard to compare, but way less crowded than WP for sure.