Uber quick TR 3/10/8

Ski

Had to take care of a sick kid all day so I missed meeting up with Big, but did run into Snoskier. We lapped the NF for just about three hours and only ran into a few people on Cannonball. The mountain was pretty quiet to say the least. The run-in on WL has a nasty spot on skier's right, but the slope was in fantastic shape. Some small bumps building and the snow depth is incredible. Cannonball was probably the best run of the afternoon, though. Smoke was a little beat up from the weekend races, while Boomer was in good shape. We took one trip up Iron orse to ski Fast Track. Even the wide open flat spots are still deep and holding up...

Awesome afternoon with temps right around freezing. Some sun and a few snow flurries.

Great skiing with you, SS!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great night out tonight. I really like w/ DST that it doesn't get dark early anymore. A definite plus for getting in a little "night" skiing.

Met up w/ ski after my first run and lapped the NF with him. The snow was AWESOME. They had just made snow the night before and there was still cord to be had!!! The only two trouble spots were under the one gun where it was about 10 feet of ice and smoke. I think smoke was still icy from the race this weekend so it gets a pass. White and Boomer were both really nice.

The one mystery for the night happened after ski took off (so I know it wasn't him) but I came up to the head wall on white and there were a pair of tracks going straight down off the head wall. When I got to the that head wall the tracks kept going straight down, no turns, about 5' from the woods, to the run out. I want to know who the hell tucked that trail and didn't even flinch in thier skis. Seriously, stand up and take a bow.

I only probably skied 5-6 more runs after ski took off b/c I hit the bar for quesadillos -- yummy and got into some other assorted hi-jinks of which there may or may not be pictures....

BTW when I was leaving I saw snowmaking was heading up and about the mountain. So if any wants some sweet a.m. tracks they better get up there tomorrow a.m. I wish I lived 10 minutes away...

The one mystery for the night happened after ski took off (so I know it wasn't him) but I came up to the head wall on white and there were a pair of tracks going straight down off the head wall. When I got to the that head wall the tracks kept going straight down, no turns, about 5' from the woods, to the run out. I want to know who the hell tucked that trail and didn't even flinch in thier skis. Seriously, stand up and take a bow.

Ha, not on my slalom skis, for sure. You'd hit 60+ tucking WL and the compression would be almost impossible to hold. Ski Head has probably done some of the more insane things on WL, so I'll have to ask if it was him---I know he likes to get really close to the trees on that side.

..I know Ski hit around 70mph according to his GPS watch on the Northface but he gets lower than a limbo contest champion..he's a mother tucker..lol

I don't remember the numbers any more and am too lazy to search posts, but we were low to mid 50's after the ASRA race on Tanglwood's headwall, and that was with a real radar gun. I still haven't replaced the molar I knocked out with my ski pole and the tree, though. That sucked a lot.

Molars are over-rated..as long as you have your teeth in front you're good to go..

Thanks for your support. BTW, 'Kitten is in love with you, Boss.

I seem to remember a crazy snowboarder once straightlining a groomed WL.

I wish I'd seen it and had my video camera for it. He is crazy.

I wish I'd seen it and had my video camera for it. He is crazy.

And injury prone, but his toughness balances that part out. He told me he's shooting for the school record in shotput this season. I don't suppose you do any track and field meets eh?

And injury prone, but his toughness balances that part out. He told me he's shooting for the school record in shotput this season. I don't suppose you do any track and field meets eh?

:banghead Maybe 15 or 20 every spring. I'll def hook Mom up if I happen to be at one of his.

..they may have been standing up which creates so much drag..

ummm -- yeah not enough drag that you aren't still flying.... + standing up you are going to have a lot less control straight-lining it....

but still on the side of the trail..that's sketch..

technically they started about 20' off from the edge, but they way the trail is cut you end about 5' from the woods...

I'll say right now... straight-lining white is worth at least a couple rounds... If i see it & you live -- i'll buy.

... or their marketing makes it seem like a fun gimmick because thats what sells in the snowboarding world. Look at leg bags.

I've never ridden one, but I've only heard good things from good riders. I've also heard really awful things about their skis.

I know I've pointed some hairy stuff in my days and after checking out WL I found myself pointing out of it higher and higher, I'd love to have a day where it were groomed but the quick ending would definitely be a little nerve-wracking at 60+ MPH.

Ha, according to their own R&D and tester guys, it's basically a fun little gimmick.

Powder Mag

I know you and PS don't really get along so well but MT is amazing and I'd really hate to see you bash something you're not familiar with just to spite him.

DH, I can only tell you that I really do know a little something about skis---and an edge gimmick does not make a ski. The construction of those skis is more like a floppy K2 Winter Heat than a full blown race room Race Tiger, for instance. You can put fun little chains on a VW Bug, but it's still a VW Bug. There's no bashing going on. It's just goofy to make an edge hold comparison between the skis my team and I were on and those pieces of fluff. Really.

I know you and PS don't really get along so well but MT is amazing and I'd really hate to see you bash something you're not familiar with just to spite him.

I get along with him fine, keeps me entertained for hours.

seany has been slamming his hard for a little over a month. I took a hard look at them this weekend and not the littlest sign of delam/chatter/blown edges... nothing.

DH, I can only tell you that I really do know a little something about skis---and an edge gimmick does not make a ski. The construction of those skis is more like a floppy K2 Winter Heat than a full blown race room Race Tiger, for instance. You can put fun little chains on a VW Bug, but it's still a VW Bug. There's no bashing going on. It's just goofy to make an edge hold comparison between the skis my team and I were on and those pieces of fluff. Really.

I'm not advocating for the addition of MT to anything that has to do with racing or even skiing in general. It does greatly improve a park board, though. I wouldn't surprised if this edge "gimmick" started becoming standard on the majority of park boards over the next decade or two.