help with base repair.

LineSki

after hitting rail wrong i now have a nice 1 1/2 long by 1/8 wide gouge in my base. and where the base used to be filled in its now like built up around the whole. so if i fill it with p-tex then i will still have the build up around where the ptex will fill it in. if this too much i can handle i will just take it to a shop, but if i can fix it i will.

okay, i'm kinda going by what ppl have said, and ski999 or skidude might be able to correct me even more, but i think you p-tex it, and then after that is done you scrape it to get all the extra off (the build up around it), and maybe wax it after that or something....

might be some help... http://www.angelfire.com/film/snowsliding/repair.html

Edited by RacerChick

I ran into this same situation recently. Check out my Praise to Tognar.com thread for probably most everything you need to know. My sister's been skiing on her skis for about 10 times since, and everythings been great. She even gouged a streak through an old filled gouge, that thing is not going anywhere.

Any questions you have, feel free to ask.

it sounds to me like the excess base material that was gouged out is what is hanging around. sort of like when u get a nasty gash and u have that nasty extra skin flap that you can gross people put with. my advice would be to very slowly and carefully remove the extra flap with a razor blade so that you have a level base (with exception to the gouge). then clean the gouge and surrounding area with a base cleaner in order to have a clean surface for the new ptex to bond to. then heat the ptex and drip it into the gouge. over fill the gouge just slightly in order to be sure it is filled sufficently. allow ample time for it to dry and then go back and remove excess ptex with a razor blade. then do any base cleaning and waxing you feel fit to the remander of the base. i would recoment a full tune (clean entire base and rewax) in order to be sure you are back to 100%. gluck!

Depends on the type of P-Tex. I always use the melter thingy I got off of Tognar.com, but if its a P-Tex candle you can just use a lighter or candle. People also use soldering irons if you have one of those, just make sure you don't burn the P-Tex. You can keep it cooler by constantly unplugging and repluging the soldering iron. Soldering irons get twice as hot as the temperature you want, so plug and unplug accordingly.