Waxing supplies

Glenn

Ok, so I started doing my own waxing, and am looking to get a brush. Jeff will probobly make fun of me for my previous folly but nevermind that. I went on tognar and there appears to be several types of brushes ranging in bristle thickness and stiffness for different applications. What they didn't have was a general all purpose brush, or if they did it wasn't marked as such. Is there a once and done brush or do I really need 4 different ones. I'm not looking for a race quality waxing. I'm simply looking for something to keep my base in decent condition, and for better turns etc. I'm riding on universal wax so is there a universal brush. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, so I started doing my own waxing, and am looking to get a brush. Jeff will probobly make fun of me for my previous folly but nevermind that. I went on tognar and there appears to be several types of brushes ranging in bristle thickness and stiffness for different applications. What they didn't have was a general all purpose brush, or if they did it wasn't marked as such. Is there a once and done brush or do I really need 4 different ones. I'm not looking for a race quality waxing. I'm simply looking for something to keep my base in decent condition, and for better turns etc. I'm riding on universal wax so is there a universal brush. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nestors has a Swix Combo Brush (brass/nylon) and works fine.

http://www.artechski.com

Might be cheaper...If you didn't already buy your stuff

They don't seems to have any brushes... alleged brush page

However, when I visited, it reminded me to ask. What is the deal with flouro wax. Is it better/worse than normal wax. Is it used in combination, or in certain conditions. Just curious about the stuff.

EDIT: Actually they do have brushes, I just couldn't navigate the site :banghead

Anyways, they seem to be about the same price, and I am ordering a bunch of wax from tognar, so I will save on shipping with only one order.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

Yeah there site is a bit harder to navigate. But most of the time the cost is about 5-10 bucks cheaper than reliable racing for most of the stuff I buy. Shipping also seems a little cheaper. I don't think I have bought anything from tognar tho...

as do i.  I feel that the nylon just doesn't get the wax off, let alone get the wax out of the structure.

They claim the different types of bristles clean out different width structures. So the brass will remove stuff from fine structures which will also no doubt pull stuff off the coarser regions. Although, a scraper will pull stuff off the coarsest of sturctures.

They claim the different types of bristles clean out different width structures. So the brass will remove stuff from fine structures which will also no doubt pull stuff off the coarser regions. Although, a scraper will pull stuff off the coarsest of sturctures.

huh? You use a scraper to get as much wax off as possible, then you brush, to get the rest off the base, and get the rest out of the structure. You can't substitute them, its wax, scrape, and brush brush brush.

hey ski999 & skidude. He used brillo to scrape his board :lol:

huh?  You use a scraper to get as much wax off as possible, then you brush, to get the rest off the base, and get the rest out of the structure.  You can't substitute them, its wax, scrape, and brush brush brush.

hey ski999 & skidude.  He used brillo to scrape his board  :lol:

By brillo do you mean the green stuff you buy at homedepot?

Umm Jokes on you Jeff.

I use that stuff to.

I scrape, brush (brass), and either brush with nylon or buff the skis with the brillo pad. That is always my last step. If you didn't have any brushes, and you did have a good scraper, it could probably work alone, but I recoment the brush and then the brillo...Really gets everything out.

Umm Jokes on you Jeff.

I use that stuff to.

I scrape, brush (brass), and either brush with nylon or buff the skis with the brillo pad.  That is always my last step.  If you didn't have any brushes, and you did have a good scraper, it could probably work alone, but I recoment the brush and then the brillo...Really gets everything out.

no brush, just brillo. I dunno if he even has a scraper, but when we were there on sunday, when he was sitting down you could see all the wax that wasn't scraped off.

I have a scraper, just didn't spend alot of time with it. Just put the wax on scraped a few times and left, and as I recall Jeff, you said the brillo would destroy my base. Nevertheless, I have a scraper and am oredering the brush, so things are going to be a lot less ghetto in my base department.

Okay, so we'll try not to use 'Dude's Brillo pad anymore. 'Dude may have a feel for a structure brush and all, but using a Brillo pad is a little risky for the rest of us. And isn't soap included? I don't remember since I have Teflon coated pans and DON'T USE Brillo.

So: brush with nylon or brass to open the pores and clean out some of the crap. wax. scrape. brush with nylon or brass. if you have one, buff with a horsehair brush.

You asked about flouro? Here's the deal: the best everyday waxes are hydrocarbon. Added to waxes are PTFE or 100% flourocarbon (in the Teflon family, btw)...they repell water and allow the base to propell with least resistance. Hence (first time on a MB I used the word "hence"), they work best in high humidity/higher temp/manmade snow. High flouro will create suction on cold, dry snow.

If you race or compete at speeds, then you need to know about either Low Flouro or High Flouro waxes such as Swix LF or HF waxes.

BTW, the more flouro, the higher the price.

What's really the bottom line on flouro? Well, I was the only racer at a rainy GS at Tanglwood a couple of weeks back that corked in a flouro overlay before each run. Normally, I'm an 18 handicap in ASRA. I skied about a 7 handicap. Roughly that's a percentage. Yeah, I wish it was me instead of the stupid wax...

So buy a hydrocarbon wax. Swix and Toko are my favorite. Buy yellow and red and you're pretty much covered for most temps.

Okay, so we'll try not to use 'Dude's Brillo pad anymore. 'Dude may have a feel for a structure brush and all, but using a Brillo pad is a little risky for the rest of us. And isn't soap included? I don't remember since I have Teflon coated pans and DON'T USE Brillo.

So: brush with nylon or brass to open the pores and clean out some of the crap. wax. scrape. brush with nylon or brass. if you have one, buff with a horsehair brush.

You asked about flouro? Here's the deal: the best everyday waxes are hydrocarbon. Added to waxes are PTFE or 100% flourocarbon (in the Teflon family, btw)...they repell water and allow the base to propell with least resistance. Hence (first time on a MB I used the word "hence"), they work best in high humidity/higher temp/manmade snow. High flouro will create suction on cold, dry snow.

If you race or compete at speeds, then you need to know about either Low Flouro or High Flouro waxes such as Swix LF or HF waxes.

BTW, the more flouro, the higher the price.

What's really the bottom line on flouro? Well, I was the only racer at a rainy GS at Tanglwood a couple of weeks back that corked in a flouro overlay before each run. Normally, I'm an 18 handicap in ASRA. I skied about a 7 handicap. Roughly that's a percentage. Yeah, I wish it was me instead of the stupid wax...

So buy a hydrocarbon wax. Swix and Toko are my favorite. Buy yellow and red and you're pretty much covered for most temps.

Awsome, thanks for the breakdown on the flouro wax. Way more informative than anything on the websites, and I'm too poor/lazy to buy a book on waxing. Besides, who needs a book when there is this wealth of knowledge to ask directed questions at online?