Ski Mag Survey

Ski

:hater:

haha, the GM is a really nice dude though, and his son is even nicer. i worked with his son last summer, and they had us up to elk late december to ride and fed us that night at their house. so i guess what i am trying to say is i like free food.

Well, if free food was on the survey I'd cross off my 1 and give 'em a 10 for ya Nick...hob-nobbing with the upper crust, eh?

Brutal !!! Come on, it isn't that bad ... Though I do not like the "shuttle", and I will not eat the chow (made me ill). I do think it is a bit overrated (expensive), but it isn't really a bad place. That being said, I prefer Sno Mountain. The snow seems to be better , the chow is pretty good, and I like terrain ...

Brutal !!! Come on, it isn't that bad ... Though I do not like the "shuttle", and I will not eat the chow (made me ill). I do think it is a bit overrated (expensive), but it isn't really a bad place. That being said, I prefer Sno Mountain. The snow seems to be better , the chow is pretty good, and I like terrain ...

Well, Glenn said nobbing, too.

Of course it's not that bad...I like Elk just fine. I'm just doing my part to even out some of the surveys Elk people have been turning in for years with 10s for snow and grooming. Just doin' my part.

I probably should repeat what I said about Rob in my BB comments :)

Isn't lying on a Ski mag survey illegal???

Are you up on current events? If so:

Only in Ohio.

Anyway, as I said, I think it's kind of crappy that a ski area encourages its employees and guests to 'stack' the survey. On the one hand, who gives a crap about the Ski Mag survey, but, on the other hand, ski areas do use it in marketing.

And it doesn't take much. The survey goes out to just some of Ski Mag subscribers only---or people who've skied NASTAR and get the mag for free (me). This is the first time in the last 10 years I've gotten the survey.

You are just supposed to review up to six ski areas you've visited in the past year. So when it comes to the Best of the East section, there are maybe 300 survey packs that are even relevant---ones in which readers/responders even mention East Coast resorts. So if a single ski area can get just 10 employees/guests to give their resort 10's in the same category, they are pretty much guaranteed to be in the Top 10 list. And it's quickly converted to marketing as "Alpine Mountain Rated #3 in Challenge, 2010 Ski Mag Readers Survey, Best of the East". Or, Elk has the best snow/grooming in the east.

Edited by ski

White lightning and smoke dont deserve a 10 for challenge????? i mean theyre not world class but white lightning is hard for the poconos!

SKI magazine isn't focused on the poconos. How does the challange of sno mountain compare to that of Whiteface, MRG or even Crested Butte, Jackson Hole or Squaw.

Isn't lying on a Ski mag survey illegal???

It's a commercial survey, not a US census form ... Besides, wouldn't it be lying if a loyal Elk employee, or customer paints Elk as "Heaven on earth" in the survey.

Ski's point is that Elk might be persuading folks to help "stack the deck" .

SKI magazine isn't focused on the poconos. How does the challange of sno mountain compare to that of Whiteface, MRG or even Crested Butte, Jackson Hole or Squaw.

Ski Mag's main survey is for North American resorts. Then, the magazine has different editions for each geographic region. They also do it for all months. Pocono ski areas could be ranked against Crested Butte, but it's not really possible because of the disparate skier visit numbers. So there's a main survey, then Best of the East and Best of the Midwest....that sort of thing.

But, yeah, the Poconos are ranked against Whiteface. In fact Elk's snow ranked above Stratton, Stowe, Killington, Hunter, Belleayre, Wildcat, Loon, Gore, and---believe it or not---even Whiteface (among many others). Yep, Elk has better snow than places that get 200 more inches of natural and 100x the snowmaking firepower. :lol:

But, yeah, the Poconos are ranked against Whiteface. In fact Elk's snow ranked above Stratton, Stowe, Killington, Hunter, Belleayre, Wildcat, Loon, Gore, and---believe it or not---even Whiteface (among many others). Yep, Elk has better snow than places that get 200 more inches of natural and 100x the snowmaking firepower. :lol:

"It's like skiing in Zermatt ... " :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll try to get Glenn on board with this...

According to Ski Mag readers Elk is a better value, since a 19 year old snowboarder will pay $51 for a ticket as opposed to $56 at Whiteface...now, doesn't it make perfect sense that to save $5 bucks, you get so much more at Elk? :)

Not picking on Elk---just trying to look beyond he incredible myth that the survey has created. Elk has better weather than all but six other ski areas...readers actually voted Elk (yes, Elk in Union Dale PENNSYLVANIA) as having better winter weather conditions than all but six ski areas in all of New England and New York State. Did they vote for warmest? Driest? Least snowy? If so, then Bear Creek got screwed. :)

Okay, I'll try to get Glenn on board with this...

According to Ski Mag readers Elk is a better value, since a 19 year old snowboarder will pay $51 for a ticket as opposed to $56 at Whiteface...now, doesn't it make perfect sense that to save $5 bucks, you get so much more at Elk? :)

Not picking on Elk---just trying to look beyond he incredible myth that the survey has created. Elk has better weather than all but six other ski areas...readers actually voted Elk (yes, Elk in Union Dale PENNSYLVANIA) as having better winter weather conditions than all but six ski areas in all of New England and New York State. Did they vote for warmest? Driest? Least snowy? If so, then Bear Creek got screwed. :)

I don't really care. I think magazine ratings are bogus anyways, and I could really care less who "wins".

Is Sno superior to elk in nearly all catagories? Yes. Do I think there are more than 7 resorts that have better conditions on the east than Elk, I would hope so. Do I care anyways? No. It's silly. It's SKI magazine, when did it start having authority? It's a magazine poll, when have then been reliable. It's over snow conditions on the east, when have they ever been good? Ok, well the last one was kind of mean. Clearly new snow, grooming and skier traffic determine conditions. In the abscence of real snow, snow making becomes the an important factor. It's not hard to figure out who will have the best conditions.

Personally I would vote Blue for best everything, because the evil side of me wants to see that place crowded.

Actually, I think Ski Mag could do a more useful survey for our area...

worst place to book an XMas week vacation

where not to count on skiing if it's windy

most likely area to have your gear jacked

best park to get punched for dropping out of turn

most unreliable conditions report

park the furthest/walk the most

most likely to ride a chair with a white guy who insists on rapping

Stuff like that.

Actually, I think Ski Mag could do a more useful survey for our area...

worst place to book an XMas week vacation

where not to count on skiing if it's windy

most likely area to have your gear jacked

best park to get punched for dropping out of turn

most unreliable conditions report

park the furthest/walk the most

most likely to ride a chair with a white guy who insists on rapping

Stuff like that.

Thats a great idea and a funny one too!