Whats tussey like?

rchase

hi im going to penn state next year so i have a few questions for you tussey locals.

1. How long is the season, how often does warm weather force them to close midseason?

2. How big of an issue are crowds?

3.How much snow do they average each year?

4.Is it all groomer skiing or do they have moguls, a park or any illegal glades?

5. Anything else i should know?

thanks

I can't answer alot of your questions as I was only there once my cousin was there for four and 1/2 years.

Tussey is flat, small and somewhat boring. They have a park but only in the concept, I seem to remember they would just take a couple of rusty rails and line them up. College has a rail jam every year and Tussey has some serious talent will all the people in the area.

Weather wise state college gets more snow than alot of other places in PA but it ain't Vermont. Season is mid december to mid march.

If you can go to Blue Knob they have a real mountain and when it snows there glades are pretty good for PA.

Tussey is what it is. About 400 feet of verts serviced by a kind of weird quad chair. You've got an out and back kind of green circle with a lot of little fun things to do on the side of the trail. Most of these are little up and over light poles/barriers and such, and then on the second half of the trail some cool little quarterpipe kind of things on the skiers left. Then there is a pretty solid top to bottom blue that runs along the side of the lift, pretty fun. Next to that is a diamond/blue trail that the ski team usually trains on. The top of this one actually has some solid pitch and is fun.

Crowds are never an issue, and the park is almost non existent. It consists of some tiny single barrel flat rails (2 at most if they are set up) a 5 ft long flat rail, a small wooden (yes it is made of wood, even the surface you slide on) battle ship box, a pretty crazy double barrel rainbow (wayyyy too steep, but you can still have some fun messing around on it) and then the best thing in there, a 25 ft ish flat box. Sometimes it has skirting on the side, sometimes it doesn't, but it slides great and everything is always gap on so you can just hike this thing for a while and have a good time. Later on in the year and definitely before the PSU open they will build a jump, this years was actually pretty nice. The jump this year was on the bottom of the black/blue and the rails are always at the bottom of the blue.

They have pretty good specials on Tuesday/Thursday nights where the tix are only $10 and thats pretty much the only time I go. (It really really doesn't seem worth it for me to pay any more for this place)

Ok, long story short. If you're a PSU freshman there is no other choice for you. You need a car to get to Blue Knob and there is a bus that will take you from East Halls (where you will live) right to Tussey, and then one that takes you right back. The whole time you're there you're going to joke about how bad it is, but you'll always come back. Its not much, but if you go with the right attitude, you can have a ton of fun there.

If you have any specific questions shoot. I'm a Junior here at Penn State. Congrats for getting in here! LETS GO STATE!