Nirvana has turned tropical

sibhusky

As you may or may not be aware, the Northwest has been having a heat wave the last few weeks. We have serious spring conditions, so much so that the NorAms were cancelled. Ole2planker is lucky he got here when he did. He must have taken our cold weather back east with him when he left.

Schweitzer, which some would consider our "twin" mountain, has had closure issues (note that, skimom) and is supposed to only be about 10% open. We are advertising that we are 90% open, but I think they must be counting "named trails", because as acreage goes, I'd say it's more like 60%. Fortunately we got a bit of snow a couple days ago, but if it hasn't been groomed, it's just dust on crust. Big Sky, if you remember, was full of rocks. Red Lodge was only 50% open. Most of the ski areas in Washington are said to be closed. I think the way things are going that some of the more marginal areas will be taking it on the chin and unable to open next year...you can't afford to lose an entire January in the ski industry!

I hear they've had snow down in Colorado, but I don't know how the extended time has been going. Just make sure if you are planning trips out West, that you check what's been going on this year!

Edited by sibhusky

As you may or may not be aware, the Northwest has been having a heat wave the last few weeks.  We have serious spring conditions, so much so that the NorAms were cancelled.  Ole2planker is lucky he got here when he did.  He must have taken our cold weather back east with him when he left.

Schweitzer, which some would consider our "twin" mountain, has had closure issues (note that, skimom) and is supposed to only be about 10% open.  We are advertising that we are 90% open, but I think they must be counted "named trails", because as acreage goes, I'd say it's more like 60%.  Fortunately we got a bit of snow a couple days ago, but if it hasn't been groomed, it's just dust on crust.  Big Sky, if you remember, was full of rocks.  Red Lodge was only 50% open.  Most of the ski areas in Washington are said to be closed.  I think the way things are going that some of the more marginal areas will be taking it on the chin and unable to open next year...you can't afford to lose an entire January in the ski industry!

I hear they've had snow down in Colorado, but I don't know how the extended time has been going.  Just make sure if you are planning trips out West, that you check what's been going on this year!

that really sucks to hear sib. Maybe you should've stayed in PA, the weather is better here!

It looks like temps will be dropping a bit over the weekend, and maybe we'll get a few inches of snow, but we need a foot! Thank god are trails are relatively rock free in summer time, unlike many of the places in CO. If an area makes sure it's got nice meadows, they don't need the snow depth compared to areas that leave boulders all over the place when they cut a trail.

I heard there are slim pickings at Mt Hood too.  :(

Come visit - you can stay with us...I'll even give you one of our CB ski vouchers...

Don't get me wrong. We've got plenty of lovely soft snow and expecting about six inches this weekend. But, it's like spring -- get out the sunscreen -- and we follow the sun around as it warms up the hill.

I rode up with two different people today from Seattle who had nowhere else to go to other than our mountain. Now that's a drive!

Just got back from Mt. Bachelor a bit ago, in Oregon. I was really worried about the snow quality, but all was well. The summit opened and there was nice fluffy snow all around, 100% open with tree skiing and park. Mt. Hood was closed at the time, and it's only an hour or so away.

The thing that made it weird was, where we were staying about 20 min away from the mountain there was no snow. As you started to drive there was more and more and then all of a sudden, Bam! 4 feet! Really weird.

That really sucks about the conditions out there. If it were me, I know I'd be going insane. Though Bachelor was good, it only had around 47 inches of base compared to their average 150-200 for late January.

Edited by lurker

today it seemed like spring riding at camleback way to warm for febuary

Yes, I'm a little scared that its warm like this, in early february. I think it may be bad news for the length of the spring season at CB. They are pretty lame about closing to start with, but not having stock piles to push around after losses may mean an extra early closing. I guess we can't complain too much though, considering how lousy its been out west. It's real bad to hear some places probobly won't be reopening next season due to a weak year.

Most of the ski areas in Washington are said to be closed. I think the way things are going that some of the more marginal areas will be taking it on the chin and unable to open next year...you can't afford to lose an entire January in the ski industry!

That was from sib's first post, and what I was refering to with the closed next season thing.