Reverse Camber

Santa Clauss

Now scam is an exaggeration but listen.

I recently purchased a new Skate Banana (159), tried it out friday and saturday... Have some mixed feelings.

Now I know what they say, reverse camber makes sense because your feet are not centered on the board right?

"A snowboard is not a ski?"

And hey, It makes sense in powder, when I hit some soft snow it was very nice.

but when carving down the mountain it just didn't feel right, it felt a little unstable, I found it hard to hold a nice edge, it was ither sliding or sharp turn.

I brought my Ride DH up on saturday, I realized why it felt better, when carving you put more pressure on the tip and tail on the side your turning on. with reverse camber, your board is already bent in that direction so it doesent put the pressure on the tip and tail, more on the center.

Basically, I'm not liking the reverse camber, i'll test it out some more, but i'll probably wind up selling the board...

Anyone else try out reverse camber and feel the same? and really be honest with your self, was it what you were hoping it would be?

I've been out on my danny kass btx 159 twice already this season once at hunter and big boulder. It holds an edge just fine for me and is stable at high speeds. It also seems like it presses easier on rails than other boards but i have to ride it more to give better feedback on that. The only complaint i have is when coming up to a rail flatbased is seems alittle squirly. I dont know if its because i've been learning back a little more than usual. I feel like you real have to stay centered with you weight so the board doesn't seem squirly oh and yes it is a scam....

i have a never summer evo. it has BOTH reverse camber but also normal camber. it is so it is good in powder and good for buttering, but also stable at high speeds. thats why the normal camber is good. if you are more of an all mountain rider that doesnt get the oppurtunity to ride freshies that much, RC is probably a bad choice

i have a never summer evo. it has BOTH reverse camber but also normal camber. it is so it is good in powder and good for buttering, but also stable at high speeds. thats why the normal camber is good. if you are more of an all mountain rider that doesnt get the oppurtunity to ride freshies that much, RC is probably a bad choice

explain why it is a bad choice? have you ridden a RC board besides your never summer?

I recently purchased a new Skate Banana (159), tried it out friday and saturday... Have some mixed feelings.

Now I know what they say, reverse camber makes sense because your feet are not centered on the board right?

but when carving down the mountain it just didn't feel right, it felt a little unstable, I found it hard to hold a nice edge, it was ither sliding or sharp turn.

I brought my Ride DH up on saturday, I realized why it felt better, when carving you put more pressure on the tip and tail on the side your turning on. with reverse camber, your board is already bent in that direction so it doesent put the pressure on the tip and tail, more on the center.

Basically, I'm not liking the reverse camber, i'll test it out some more, but i'll probably wind up selling the board...

Anyone else try out reverse camber and feel the same? and really be honest with your self, was it what you were hoping it would be?

Im going to disagree with you. I feel that it holds an edge extremely well. When carving on a regular board you should also be putting pressure in the center since to make that turn you have to decamber the board to enable the sidecut.

I would heavily consider buying it from you for a reasonable price. It is not a scam, it is just different. The risk of going with a bleeding edge gear is that you won't like it.

Stop being sensationalist. Plenty of people like it, some don't. A scam would be if there was no difference and they made a big deal about it. But there IS a difference and then it is personal preference on the other side whether you like it or not. You don't like it, thats fine, sell the board lots of people are clammering for them. But based on what I've heard from a lot of guys who like it, it is a step forward for those that like twitchy boards.

Well Maybe I shouldn't have gotten a 159, but when the company pretty much says this board is the best thing ever... I just have to disagree, I feel that the two days I rode it, I was not impressed.

Next time your carving down a steep hill just think about how your board is working with that side radius with a normal board, yes a reverse camber conforms to the angle your turning at and puts the entire edge to work, but a normal camber has more pressure on the tip and tail because of its shape, and a RC evenly distributes the pressure throughout the entire side. I guess its like with a NC you can put a lot of pressure on a small area which makes it easier to get a good bite, I'm not saying the banana didn't hold an edge, it held it well, but it just... didn't feel right, maybe it was the magnetraction? remember, the first sentence i said was "Now scam is an exaggeration but listen," hey, I'm just voicing my opinions on the product.

I'd be happy to try out another RC but in a park board, probably 154 or smaller, I've come to realize that its stupid to expect a board to really be amazing in everything.

I'm probably gonna sell it on ebay because I've realized that I can probably sell it for the same price I bought it for cus the banana is hot.

Look it up on ebay, i see buy it now's for up to $612!!! I see a TON for $569 some still for $465 but there only getting harder and harder to find, If I list it for $450 charge $25 for shipping and i got my money back, plus I got a $60 discount with the bindings so all I gotta do is sell it for like $440 to get my money back. maybe in a month it will be possible to sell it at that price.

Maybe I should sell it with the contrabands.

Edited by davieclauss

but when the company pretty much says this board is the best thing ever... I just have to disagree, I feel that the two days I rode it, I was not impressed.

have you ever realized that just about everyTHING that sells a product usually claims it is the best, fastest, life changing, strongest, lightest, nicest, etc, etc? haha

but yea it is nothing near a scam (i know you said scam is an overstatement) but thats like saying riding powder is a totally dumb, snowboards should only ride park (ok that was a little exaggerated) but the point is is that its all personal prefrence. if there was a perfect thing in snowboarding that was ideal for everything they would only sell that. its all prefrence. next time you are planning on buying a board, i recommend you demo it. Buckmans has some demo days they are probably on their website.

A reverse camber board won't carve like a regular cambered board. The big reason is when you pull out of the carve a cambered board snaps at the tip and the tail to get you back up, a rockered will snap but stop a little short. A cambered board will also distribute pressure more evenly across the effective edge where the rocker concentrates it between the bindings. The principal of rocker is to give you a looser board feel or improve float in powder. If you want a freeride board and don't ride much fresh regular camber is the way to go.

Note- the rockered board will still carve well, just not like a cambered board. It's something you have to adjust to.

Edited by summersux

Ok i'm gonna have to go ahead and admit that i was wrong in bashing RC, the banana has become my new best friend, maybe it broke in, maybe i was out of shape, regardless, i was wrong. once you hit loose, its amazing, floats like a dream. Bumps and the magnetraction, amazing, you can turn so tight and hard with this deck when on steep, it makes riding the really difficult stuff super easy and just makes it more fun... it does carve different but you get usta it, and before you know it you don't remember how its different than a normal camber board, you just feel like your riding amazing conditions all the time, which means your having a good time.

Ok i'm gonna have to go ahead and admit that i was wrong in bashing RC, the banana has become my new best friend, maybe it broke in, maybe i was out of shape, regardless, i was wrong. once you hit loose, its amazing, floats like a dream. Bumps and the magnetraction, amazing, you can turn so tight and hard with this deck when on steep, it makes riding the really difficult stuff super easy and just makes it more fun... it does carve different but you get usta it, and before you know it you don't remember how its different than a normal camber board, you just feel like your riding amazing conditions all the time, which means your having a good time.

Thanks man I really appreciate the update. Most people on here who change their opinion on something will never come back and update us on it. If it can prove to be a favorite board of someone who previously hated it then they must be on to something.

• 4 weeks later...

I demoed a Burton Hero after I had bought my board for the season, and wish I would have bought the Hero from the beginning. RC is amazing and I don't think I will ever go back to the old cambered boards. People saying it's a scam; its the future, isn't Libtechs whole line of 09' boards have the Bannana tech? And basically every company is hopping on the bandwagon to get their RC model board out.

Missed this thread somehow. Nick regarding the Never Summer RC. My wife got me a 158 SLR for Christmas. I must say I am sold on it 150%. Unlike the normal RC the Never Summer has the dual camber set up which gives you all the benefits of normal RC, but with crazy edge hold at high speeds. Presses great, turns great, holds a edge great. Now I just hope I run into some powder in VT next month to see how it handles that.