TR Opening Day

rummy

Couldn't get any nicer snow for opening day. Packed Powder well groomed, had to look very hard to fine some icy snow. No Death Cookies only a few chicklets. Two slopes open from the top-Susquehanna to East slope and Tioga to West slope. Six new fan guns blowing until around 1:30 had the bunny slope closed all day. Maybe 75 people there all day, with many regulars and a smattering of boarders all having a good time. Temps warmed up to mid 30's by the afternoon and the snow began to turn to buttery soft perfection. Looks like they'll have upper Tunkhannock open for the weekend, maybe a glade(?) area between E and W slopes, or maybe it will be a smaller terrain park-don't know for sure-but there were a few new STOP READ THIS SIGN

signs there. The bar was serving, cafeteria open, restaurant closed. AHH it felt great to be back..

Rummy

Nice...it sounds like a legit opening day..wow a Wednesday opening with only 75 people...Is there natural snow on the ground at Elk?

Yep there's a good 2"-3" base.....they had a bunch of rain overnight Sun into Mon and washed about another couple of inches away.

Wow sounds great, was Elk blowing on anything else this morning other than the bunny slope? (Just making snow during the day on a weekday is a win I guess) The area between the east and west slope used to be their terrain park before they moved it, it would be sick if they opened it up again as an early season park. Can't wait for this weekend. :D

Wow sounds great, was Elk blowing on anything else this morning other than the bunny slope? (Just making snow during the day on a weekday is a win I guess) The area between the east and west slope used to be their terrain park before they moved it, it would be sick if they opened it up again as an early season park. Can't wait for this weekend. :D

Yep that's the other area they were blowing, about 6 more fan guns. I remember when that was their first park. Tues night into Wed morn they were blowing on Tunk, upper and lower, but during the day today they blew until the temps got too warm, about 1:30.

Sounds awesome. I was definitely thinking about it but Blue's 50% off ticket kinda sealed the deal. I normally like to head up there when they get at least Mohawk and Iroquois opened. Is Elk charging full price right now?

I don't know whether or not they have a discount price, I have a SP. With the cold weather upcoming you'll probably be able to ski Mohawk and Iroquois before Christmas, even without any natural. After Tunk, Delaware and the terrain park they usually set up the guns concentrating on the West side of the mtn and head to the East side.

That little area is actually going to be a second park this year. It is supposedly going to be a "street course" so we will see what that will all be about. Its supposed to open on saturday.

That little area is actually going to be a second park this year. It is supposedly going to be a "street course" so we will see what that will all be about. Its supposed to open on saturday.

Thats pretty cool, I remember talking to the terrian park guys at the end of last year and them saying that they were gonna have some new stuff for this year. I think the idea was to have the park next to the west slope be like a beginner/ rail only thing and the park on delaware have more advanced stuff, like bigger and better than ever before. Im not a park skier by any means but although elk's park is small they seem to do a pretty good job with it.

I always try to make a trip up there every year... Im hoping to get 2 days in... It really is my favorite mountain in PA... I love it all from the slow lifts to the base before expansion snowmaking theory... I thought about coming up this weekend, but 4-6 trails isnt worth the gas or the lift ticket... Plus my knee is still banged up from Sunday River and Sugarloaf...