white lightning per atomic's request

Ski

I waited around as long as I could, but I had the kid with me. She actually took a pretty good wipeout at the very bottom of Cannonball and was a little dazed while hanging out by the lift.

Anyway, I was going to get a yardsale on WL, but it was pretty empty this afternoon. You really have to take the time and use the right lens to get an idea of steepness. Even on OLN they are always saying how the race courses are much steeper than they look on TV. I just had a little point-and-shoot digital cam.

BTW, I ran into Linemavericks...couldn't take a run, though, since---again---I was 'with child'.

I did ski it....2 years ago when I was at montage for that J3-5 race. But I didn't take a tuck run down it, nor do I remember exactly how far away the lift was.

Anyway I don't think it is the steepest thing from here to VT (NY has some pretty steep stuff), but it is probably the steepest in PA (cept for denton if that has what they say it has).

I did ski it....2 years ago when I was at montage for that J3-5 race.  But I didn't take a tuck run down it, nor do I remember exactly how far away the lift was.

Anyway I don't think it is the steepest thing from here to VT (NY has some pretty steep stuff), but it is probably the steepest in PA (cept for denton if that has what they say it has).

no dude, impossble, even ski999 said it. They had a race on that trail at Denton. You could NOT have a race on White Lightning, plain and simple. That is by far the steepest trail in PA (I think ski999 even skied the one at Denton)....Whiteface has some scary stuff, but WL definatly ranks up there in steepest stuff around.

I can vouch...  I have skied every slope from here to there and that slope is by far the steepest of any short of vermont.

White Lightning is, no doubt, a steep hill. But in a good PA snow year, you ought to have a look and a run at Blue Knob's "Extrovert." The problem is, the Knob can't seem to get it open this year. Right now it's a walk down for everybody!

I dont no how doable a  race could be on there.  if there was 1 ice spot and someone goes down, they will go all the way down and have a shot of hitting the damn.

Its do able.

Check out the Sons of Inferno race....Not sure if they still do it, but those people would laugh at the the flatness of WL

To me, Liftline and Rumble at Sugarbush's Castlerock are the gnarliest runs in the east. Outer Limits is the hardest, while Devil's Fiddle (when open) is one of the outright steepest.

Although I worked there for three years, Mount Snow's Northface has some surprising steeps, like Jaws of Death.

With snow built up at the top of the headwall, WL is steeper than anything at Belleayre, Windham, and even Hunter.

That it leaves an impression of "Holy crap" when you hit the bottom, is good enough for me. Part of it's coolness is that it's in Pennsylvania. Like it shouldn't be there. As Dthml said, maybe it's better not to see pictures of it.

I bet by 9:45 tonight, when the refreeze was complete, WL was pretty darn sick.