Lodging choices

moe ghoul

Right now, we decided to blow off CB next weekend and plan to head north Wed, ski a PM session at Sno to check it out, and then either crash at a chain motel like the Radisson in Scranton ( so we can walk/cab to bars) or stay at a place like Arlo's Country Store. Then ski Elk Thurs/Fri. Chet's is fully booked, so that's out. Anyone heard good or bad about Arlo's?

http://www.arloscountrystore.com/

or Orazzi's

http://www.orazzisblueridgeinn.com/

downside is if we're bored at these places, we're kinda stuck, unlike staying in Scranton, where there are multiple places to get bored at.

Yea pretty hard to beat the NV deal Arlos is not the place you want to be--it's really in the middle of nowhere. If you want something closer,The Candlelight Inn and restaurant is only about four miles from the mtn and has the best food in the immediate area, at reasonable prices. No lift ticket deal, that I know of. If you still have a valid college ID, this Wed. Elk starts their "Wacky Wednesdays"--$15. lift tickets with ID. They also run the same deal on Tues. for Seasoned senior citizens. I know nothing about Orazzi's.

Rummy

and then either crash at a chain motel like the Radisson in Scranton ( so we can walk/cab to bars)

The Radisson in Scranton is nothing like a chain hotel. Its an old train station made into a hotel. Beautiful building, and a wonderful restaurant. Id seriously consider staying there, so much more to do then staying up in the Endless Mtns, or even staying in Clarks Summit at The Inn at Nichols Village.

The Radisson in Scranton is nothing like a chain hotel. Its an old train station made into a hotel. Beautiful building, and a wonderful restaurant. Id seriously consider staying there, so much more to do then staying up in the Endless Mtns, or even staying in Clarks Summit at The Inn at Nichols Village.

Chain, corporate......in name only, the building does look impressive, but we're willing to try something weird and funky in the stix as well. Might make for a more interesting TR and its a little closer to the mountain.

Thanks for the feedback..

hold up, $15 bucks all day for college students?

From the ELK website

Wild Wednesdays (College Day/Night)

$15 Lift Ticket with valid College I.D.s day or night.

(Picture I.D. required.)

Jan. 7, 14, 21, 28, 2009

Feb. 4, 11, 18, 25, 2009

Mar. 4, 11, 18, 2009

The Radisson and the Hilton are both downtown Scranton and nice.

The Inn at Nichols Village is older. It's closer to Elk I guess, but you can't walk anywhere like you can in Scranton.

The Colonnade in Scranton has a bit more B&B charm. It just opened (was being renovated). Their events are nice, but I do not know if their guest rooms are open. Wouldn't hurt giving them a call though if you were looking for something different. The Colonnade is about 3 blocks from downtown, real close.

Scranton nightlife isn't exactley hopping, but Scranton does have a new wine bar, Dionysus, on Penn Avenue, and the Backyard Ale House (great selection of beer) in Linden.

If your crashing for the night after SNO, there's a Hampton and a Comfort Suites right at the intersection of 81 and Montage road. I've stayed at both, Comfort Suites is 90 bucks. Hampton about the same, but a little nicer. They both have the free breakfast and a pool. Can't beat it for close to SNO and then close to 81 to head to Elk the next day.

Closest place to Elk is Stone Bridge Inn, like 2 miles close. It's kind of a funky place, with a restaraunt and bar on site. Can't beat it for close. Not cheap though. I've stayed there and like I said it's a little funky, everyroom is different, some with lofts, but I would stay there again.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this for SK and BLC

Here's some info from last year on Elk accomodations. Moe ended up staying at Orazzis, and liked it if I remember correctly.

Here are some more thoughts:

Stone Bridge is closest and can be a romantic ($$$) getaway. 2 miles from Elk, also within spitting distance of my Little Cabin in The Woods. (you're invited)

Candlelight Inn, best reasonable food in area with some rooms available, recently remodeled (5-6yrs ago). Nothing fancy, reasonable and 4 miles from Elk.

Chet's Place. Home of the ultimate buzz, the locals hangout, cheap food and beer with pool table, Wed and Weekend entertainment. Nothing fancy but clean rooms cheap. 2 miles to Elk

Wiffy Bog B&B, about 6 miles to Elk (on rt347), all I've ever heard has been good.

Also check out Clark Smmit Area. Special deals, more restaurant choices etc. about 25 miles from Elk.

Pretty sure all these places have web sites and give you a range of choices.

Rummy

Bumping this for SK and BLC

Here's some info from last year on Elk accomodations. Moe ended up staying at Orazzis, and liked it if I remember correctly.

Here are some more thoughts:

Stone Bridge is closest and can be a romantic ($$) getaway. 2 miles from Elk, also within spitting distance of my Little Cabin in The Woods. (you're invited)

Candlelight Inn, best reasonable food in area with some rooms available, recently remodeled (5-6yrs ago). Nothing fancy, reasonable and 4 miles from Elk.

Chet's Place. Home of the ultimate buzz, the locals hangout, cheap food and beer with pool table, Wed and Weekend entertainment. Nothing fancy but clean rooms cheap. 2 miles to Elk

Wiffy Bog B&B, about 6 miles to Elk (on rt347), all I've ever heard has been good.

Good post, rummy. Elk's in the crosshairs for opening day Wed. Should get a green lite tomorrow on their website. Hopefully some of this weather bears some snow for that area. Orazzi's was OK, kind of a strange set up there, rooms were a little sketchy and cramped. But it was cheap. We liked Chet's for the proximity. cheap food and no drunk driving issues.

Also check out Clark Smmit Area. Special deals, more restaurant choices etc. about 25 miles from Elk.

Pretty sure all these places have web sites and give you a range of choices.

Rummy