Jackson Hole 1/5/2009

AtomicSkier

Can't believe it's day 3 already. Anyway, it was snowing when we woke up, not heavily, just a snow shower. Ate breakfast then caught the 8am bus to the mountain. Caught the 3rd gondola up top, where we were greeted to a nice inversion. The bottom was -12 degrees and the top around 3 degrees where it was snowing at a more rapid pace, but no where near "dumping". Visibility wasn't bad, but it was the absolutely flat light that was just horrible.

We took Thunder to Sublette, and skied Bivouac, which was groomed over night; blah! We headed back down to the Gondola. We took two runs down Sundance, popping in and out of the trees on either side for some definition. It was a good run. I had saw from the top that the Sublette was on wind hold, so we did a total of 4 runs off the gondola, and heard over a mountain host's radio that Sublette was now open again, so we worked our way over there, sampling the Cirque as well as Bivouac woods. Cirque was great, but again, flat light.

The run of the day was definitely Bivouac woods (on either side of the trail). The skiers right is steeper, but the snow was better on skiers left. There was a little more accumulation on the left side, boot deep at the top. We ended up doing those woods around 5 times, as visibility and snow were great. We took different lines every time to mix it up, and found some really good snow. I got in a little dicey situation, and took a huge bump head on, and my PE's popped off for the first time (just one of them) ever. It was nice to know the binders actually work :)

We did a lot more runs today, so I'm not going to do a play by play, but we didn't get over to AV today. That's on tomorrows list of things to do. 2-4" tomorrow and 7-11" on Thursday. Current forecast for Saturday (the day we leave) is cloudy, so that's good news.

We're going to eat at Billy's Burgers tonight as per the recommendation of everyone who has been to JH on PASR. We ate at Bubba's last night. The meat was tender, but the ribs had zero flavor. I'm sure they don't have the time to "low and slow" smoke every rack, but the spare ribs my dad and I made our first time blew these out of the water.

img13.jpg

Nice report!!!!...I prefer the Brisket at Bubbas and quit your bitching about flat light..we all had work or school today and you're bitching about the flat light..wash the sand out of your Va Jay Jay..

It looks like powder the rest of your trip..are you guys skiing targhee?

nah i don't think so...we've got a 6 of 8 day lift ticket so I think we're going to take friday off and actually check out the town.

I would second that. There isn't to much to really do in town. You can go to a few art galleries, or walk around in the tourist souvenir shops, and check out for the few skiing shops around town but all that can be done after the hill has closed.

Targhee was a blast, I think it's still only around 70 bucks for transportation and lift ticket.

I think when it's all said and done, 6 days of awesome skiing with 5 days in a row of 30,000 vertical is going to take its toll. We did 29k in boot to knee deep pow today, and by 2pm I didn't have anymore in me, so it was time for some apres ski at Nick Wilson's while waiting for the bus. We've gotta be up mad early on Saturday and as soon as we get home, we've both got to goto a cocktail party that we actually need to be awake for.