2/22/09

AtomicSkier

I woke up to just a dusting on the roads here in the B, but as I drove north to Blue the True, the rate of snow fall picked up. Waiting in line with Toast, it was nuking, and word has it that Mount Mikovitti was closed due to unstable snow. When we hit the snow, the powder was bout edge deep, ski deep in some places. Our first run down Razors was a-maze-ing. It was a thin layer of fresh snow, on top of the best grooming job Blue has ever done. I was on my GS skis today, so flying Mach12 down Razors was awesome, so smooth. We proceeded to do that a second time, and then I snuck on for a third time. The skiers right on the headwall of Challenge was bumped up, leaving a cattle shoot down the left, which wasn't smooth by any means.

The snow started to taper off as the crowds picked up slightly. An instructor cut off Toast in the lift line, so he had some fun with her skis :) She almost ate shit as a result. We lapped Challenge, Dreamweaver, and Lazy, with a run in the park thrown in between. Conditions first thing were top notch. Razors and the middle of Challenge had awesome hero snow, where I could set an edge and trust it. Some awesome mid winter skiing to be had at Blue!

It was raining and about ten degrees above freezing when I pulled out of the garage in the dark this morning. By the time I pulled into the lower lot it was snowing pretty hard. I never skied Blue in such a snow storm before. It was kind of bizarre. It was like Whistler weather; very wet. You needed a squeegee for your goggles. Poor visibility plus surprising crowds meant I was gone by 10:45.