2/22 Trip report

C1erArt

Light snow all day, a couple of inches made things nice and soft. Hit East Mountain for a couple of runs and then had to head back and switch to a wider ski. Lots of patrollers practicing on east mountain in the morning, but all the slopes were great. Challenge glade was nice and soft. Did Challenge and Tbolt, and went back to East after lunch, but the top of Floyds was getting skied off, so I called it a day.

Enjoy the slopes now, cause it looks like things are getting a little thin - brown spots coming off the lifts, tower bases showing, and a rock was showing in the trail just before the runout turns into the East Mountain lift. Also a small rock in the middle of the trail to the downhill left of the towers 2/3s the way down Exhibition. Just a knuckles worth, but my skis found it. Usually they stockpile some snow at the east mountain lift, but apparently not this year. Might have to switch over to Boulder in March, or get the kayaks out.

...and a rock was showing in the trail just before the runout turns into the East Mountain lift. Also a small rock in the middle of the trail to the downhill left of the towers 2/3s the way down Exhibition. ... Usually they stockpile some snow at the east mountain lift, but apparently not this year. Might have to switch over to Boulder in March, or get the kayaks out.

I didn't see either rock, and I'm really anal about avoiding rocks and I live on the left side of exhibition...I'll have to keep my eyes open. Are you sure it's not something that the groomer kicked up, because I didn't think that anything was that thin? There is a pile of snow at the bottom of the east mt. lift. It's where challenge comes down into the lift area, near the tower gun.

...- brown spots coming off the lifts, ..

Those will get covered over. There were ice spots coming off the lifts, in the afternoon. After the nice day yesterday and the crowd, it didn't surprise me. The groomers will take care of all this.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Are you sure it's not something that the groomer kicked up,

That could very well be it.

I couldn't get out until late so I ended up hitting Big Boulder for a bit. Most of the fresh snow was still skiable but it was all on the sides of the trails which was fine, icy in the middle as usual on a crowded day. The base there has got to be 3 - 5 feet in spots.

That could very well be it.

a

Could be, if so it was iced in pretty well, I saw it on the trip back up, it was only about the size of a quarter. Just spent the past half hour diamond stoning my edges, they were pretty torn up, but no ptex damage. , hit it right at my boot on my uphill edge of my uphill ski in a carving turn and it nearly kicked the skis out from under me. Missed the snow pile at east mountain. I might have the first two weeks in March off between projects, so I hope they keep the slopes covered.

Also, I'm the gaper practicing switch skiing at the top of tbolt and challenge - its nice getting old, you don't care what people think any more. Made my wife laugh when I ran into a tree backwards on Friday.

Edited by C1er