A Big Thank You

NJSkiFamily

We did our first NASTAR race at cb on Saturday.

We took four runs and I'm proud to report that hubby, son and daughter each earned a bronze on their second run. :rock As for me.....well, I was happy to make it down each time in the upright position.

Everybody's advice was right on the mark:

Definitely sign up in advance in the cafeteria

No one was there before 1pm

Everyone was extremely friendly and supportive

Get your runs in early

Yeah, the employees liked to see an entire family do the course. And the lady at the bottom told my son he was just 7/10 of a second from a silver.

The racing suits my husband's ski style. I need to change my turning pattern - I've had so many ski lessons where you're focusing on making wide linking turns that I just take the gates too wide. Plus some of the gates had ruts in them and I lost my rhythm and confidence. But at least I improved on my times.

We had a near disatrous start - as soon as we pulled into cb's parking lot my son threw up in the car and threw up another three times. I don't want to gross you out (turn away if you're eating) but he threw up all over the seat, floor and even into the well in the door.

By extremely good fortune the family in the car next to us gave us an entire roll of paper towels and lent us a can of air freshener. Except that the air freshener was frozen solid and wouldn't work. But we gladly used the roll of paper towels.

(memo to myself - keep a roll of paper towels and some plastic bags in the car)

All of us had a great time doing the NASTAR. Many, many thanks to everyone on this board for the advice and the support. :woot

I hope this thread won't trigger any responses to get it locked (j/k)

We took four runs and I'm proud to report that hubby, son and daughter each earned a bronze on their second run.  :rock    As for me.....well, I was happy to make it down each time in the upright position.

Everybody's advice was right on the mark:

Definitely sign up in advance in the cafeteria

No one was there before 1pm

Everyone was extremely friendly and supportive

Get your runs in early

Yeah, the employees liked to see an entire family do the course.  And the lady at the bottom told my son he was just 7/10 of a second from a silver.

The racing suits my husband's ski style.  I need to change my turning pattern - I've had so many ski lessons where you're focusing on making wide linking turns that I just take the gates too wide.  Plus some of the gates had ruts in them and I lost my rhythm and confidence.  But at least I improved on my times.

We had a near disatrous start - as soon as we pulled into cb's parking lot my son threw up in the car and threw up another three times.  I don't want to gross you out (turn away if you're eating) but he threw up all over the seat, floor and even into the well in the door.

By extremely good fortune the family in the car next to us gave us an entire roll of paper towels and lent us a can of air freshener.  Except that the air freshener was frozen solid and wouldn't work.  But we gladly used the roll of paper towels.

(memo to myself - keep a roll of paper towels and some plastic bags in the car)

All of us had a great time doing the NASTAR.  Many, many thanks to everyone on this board for the advice and the support.  :woot

what happened to the hubby the first two runs? :P

well congradulations on the first NASTAR, it's alot of fun :rock

I don't know why he's showing the extra run.......but his first time down the course he stopped too early because he didn't know exactly where the finished line was. So he got disqualified.

Call it the evils of middle age.....he's been wearing reading glasses for a long time but now he's having problems with distance vision, too.

We're being good and not teasing him too much :halo

It's a racing program at Mountains all over the US.  Pay $5 and get two runs, or $10 and get unlimited runs, and you can check your results online.  Very cool.

www.nastar.com

Just a note on those prices....Most resorts have that as standard pricing...but not all....Everyone should go out and try it :)

What a great first race story! It's never too gross to hear a good barf and race story. And, coincidentally, my kid barfed as she was getting dressed to race at our Hideout race series this morning. And her mom tried to keep her from racing! Hahahaha!

Good to hear you had fun.

What a great first race story! It's never too gross to hear a good barf and race story. And, coincidentally, my kid barfed as she was getting dressed to race at our Hideout race series this morning. And her mom tried to keep her from racing! Hahahaha!

Good to hear you had fun.

Did she get to use her Atomic poles? Her face lit up yesterday when you said 'You can use your poles" :lol: How did she do? Did she win?

No poles. Her barfing helped her forget about wanting to use them. She wants the poles to get around at the bottom, but mostly to pretend they are bug antennae when she's skiing.

She finished 3rd in the 4 to 8-year-old group. Being in pre-K, she's at a slight disadvantage racing 3rd graders, but she tries her best.

And hey, Jeff, I'm wearing your ASRA gold medal right now. I'm thinking about wearing it to the dance club and seeing if it scores me any babes. :naughty

:lol::lol: give it to me! :nono

We took four runs and I'm proud to report that hubby, son and daughter each earned a bronze on their second run.  :rock    As for me.....well, I was happy to make it down each time in the upright position.

All of us had a great time doing the NASTAR.  Many, many thanks to everyone on this board for the advice and the support.  :woot

I am a huge fan of Nastar.. It is a unique program that allows you to race as much as you want.. What is really neat is that you can see instant improvement via your scores with every little advancement whether it be lessons or gear or both!!

If anyone is interested in seeing one hell of a success story then check out this link - http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...p&compid=416893

Pay particular attention to scores at the start of the season then work your way through the season. The biggest jumps are related to gear.. Changing gear with changing conditions are important.. Ridge scored the biggest jump on his vokyls, but nailed his best ever on his Fischer Slaloms at the end of the day today!!

How many pairs of skis does Ridge own?  Where did you buy them?

I am ashamed to say how many - I have an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Ebay is fantastic source - but establishing a frequent flyer account at ski shop is even better. There are 4 of us who ski and get gear regularly plus friends and other family members. End of the season right now is the time to buy!!!!