Stratton TR 3/21-3/22

Barb

Just got back from a great weekend at Stratton (although expensive). Got there Friday around 1:30pm to find blue skies and warm temps. Checked into our semi slopeside lodging at Obertal. Condos were nothing great, you were definitely paying for the location. It was about a 5 minute walk to the Taramarck lift. We just walked around the village Friday and unpacked.

Sat we caught the 8am shuttle from the parking lot to the base lodge. Little did I know you could buy a ticket at the Taramarck lift (doh!). Lifts don't start running until 8:30 unless you want to pay extra for first tracks. I won a free ticket for Stratton in the start of the season but of course looking at my blackberry I realized I deleted it. :angry: So I got bent over and paid the full freight for the 4 of us.

We started on the upper mountain and took Black bear down to the bottom. The snow on that trail was pretty nice. A bit sugary but nice. Went back up and did it again but only to mid mountain. Took the URSA lift back up and tried skiers left blue trail Janes JCt I think. I couldn't keep track of all the names, every time they split off we just kept staying on blues. LIft lines were great in the morning but started to fill up around 10:30. We ran back to the condo about that time to shed some layers it was very warm. I was riding in underarmour and a vest and plenty warm.

We ended our day around 1:30, my legs were burning and I felt very out of shape. I think we only did around 9-10 runs (4 top to bottom and the rest from top to mid) but I guess in PA numbers it would have been a normal day for us.

Went over to the Sunbowl to watch some of the US open around 3. The event list said there would be autographs but there wasn't. We watched the half pipe finals untiil around 5.

The next morning we met up with my cousins who have a place up there. Got in line for the gondola and there were no lines to speak of. They took us all over the place I dont know what trails we did. But I do remember Polar Bear was total ice and terrible. We made our way over to the Sunbowl on skis and boards to catch some of the slopestyle finals. We took a very slow ride down stopping along the way to watch the competitors. Then went on the right side of the pipe and that part of the trail was a combination of ice patches and mashed potatoes, awful. Since my family is used to skiing there every weekend we were going top to bottom almost every run. My cousin is 10 years older than me and I felt like such a whoos, but my legs were jello.

All in all Stratton still has some great snow. I think they will be open another 2 or 3 weekends. Here are a few pics. Not great.

post-1419-1237838307_thumb.jpg

post-1419-1237838325_thumb.jpg

It always makes me laugh to read how we drive all the way to VT only to find snow conditions similar to PA.

Agreed. PA's snow is similar if not better unless they get a storm, then they have us beat by far. The taller Mts is what makes the drive worthwhile IMO.

Nice Barb! I really like Stratton.

Isn't the URSA a freakin fast lift? Blows blue's six pack out of the water! That thing hauls some serious ass.

Ditto. Both times I've skied at Stratton I've never taken to the gondi. The lifts are that good.

Sweet pics. Looks like they still have a lot of snow.

Edited by PA Ridge Racer