The opening of Pandora's box in NJ

RootDKJ

Oh crap, I'm in trouble...REI is opening a new store 10 minutes from my house.

I got a "We're hiring" postcard in the mail from them today. I did a quick search, and this is going to be a 30,000 sq ft store. Decent sized.

Mrs Root says I should get a part time job there. She's well aware of my love of gear (gear whore-ness). But loving acquiring and using new gear, and working with gear in a retail environment are two different animals.

We don't really need the money right now, but you can never know when life throws you a curve ball, so a part time job two nights a week seems like a pretty good idea on the surface. I'm a pretty outgoing dude, and I've worked retail once before as a 2nd job selling electronics at Service Merchandise.

Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

I"m not a huge REI fan. Idk why. its either because I like to think of gear shops as small, kind of smelly places with awesome dudes hanging around, or because I have an ex who worked at one. I think its a combo of the two. haha

The number if REIs near me is obscene. They are like walmarts out here. I think I can get to like 5 different ones within a 45min drive. And yes, from what I hear... it is actually hard to get hired at the damn places. Which boggles my mind seeing as most of the people I've dealt with had no idea what they were selling me. I'm guessing the drug test can be blamed for that.