The dude's smokin!

AtomicSkier

He's that hot! Whew, Either Gary Dranow, the king of NASTAR himself, has become slow, or else he's been teaching skidude his waist steering technique (www.modernskiracing.org), because the dude was .06 off Gary's time. That freakin rocks. Gary's official pacesetter HC is a 6, and Gary's ranked 6th out of EVERYONE in the nation, so the dude must be skiing well. We should be seeing another podium from the 'dude out at nationals...

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...42694&year=2005

Gary and the 'dude were the only ones into the single digit handicaps. Whew!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really cool.. Dude has got a reeeeeeally low handicapper in his group. We are so pumped to hook up with the dude and friends - we should have left earlier.. :banghead They are getting hammered with fresh snow. :woot

I am going to take the waist steering clinic too. So ya'll better look out next year. :nana

That is really cool.. Dude has got a reeeeeeally low handicapper in his group.  We are so pumped to hook up with the dude and friends - we should have left earlier.. :banghead  They are getting hammered with fresh snow.  :woot

I am going to take the waist steering clinic too. So ya'll better look out next year. :nana

i just don't get it. i've been trying to understand it, just it hasn't clicked yet. You probably actaully need to be at the clinic to really get a grasp of it.

i just don't get it.  i've been trying to understand it, just it hasn't clicked yet.  You probably actaully need to be at the clinic to really get a grasp of it.

That's what I have gathered too... It's hard to visualize. BTW Atomic, They are releasing a book, but you probably already know that.

Tom Kirchhoff - will be training Ridge - he teaches kids in the Martial Arts also. Ridge seems to really enjoy giving others pointers. It's really starting to sound like a Vermont trip is in order!!

That's what I have gathered too... It's hard to visualize. BTW Atomic, They are releasing a book, but you probably already know that.

Tom Kirchhoff - will be training Ridge - he teaches kids in the Martial Arts also. Ridge seems to really enjoy giving others pointers. It's really starting to sound like a Vermont trip is in order!!

yea, i'm hoping to buy the book when they release it....

yea, from what i read it's alot about balance from a martial arts background...but hey, when gary's #6 in the US, and his wife is #21 in the nation, they HAVE to be doing something right. Maybe next year i'll goto nationals :)

i just don't get it.  i've been trying to understand it, just it hasn't clicked yet.  You probably actaully need to be at the clinic to really get a grasp of it.

What's the basic concept behind this waist steering? Or do you have to take the clinic to know what all the hype is about?

Maybe next year i'll goto nationals  :)

Hey Atomic, I am betting that you will be able to qualify no problem.. Me on the other hand?? Well it sounds like fun to work towards it next year. I am thrilled at how quickly I have met a lot of very friendly and welcoming skiing enthusiasts, unlike some of the skiing clubs around here. Adam is on the right track.. We are trying to catch up..

Word is that the nationals will be in a different place next year. For you riders that are following this string - Nastar has a Boarder division that is empty. I am sure that it would be easy to qualify and go to this huge party!!

yea, i think so. 

check out www.modernskiracing.org

Eh, got way to technical way to fast, espeacially since I don't ski. I just wanted a quick overview. Whatever happened to simple teaching techniques like analogies, when I took my snowboard class they were still using that stuff, and my class was all college students. Oh well

Hey Atomic,  I am betting that you will be able to qualify no problem.. Me on the other hand??  Well it sounds like fun to work towards it next year.  I am thrilled at how quickly I have met a lot of very friendly and welcoming skiing enthusiasts, unlike some of the skiing clubs around here.  Adam is on the right track..  We are trying to catch up.. 

Word is that the nationals will be in a different place next year. For you riders that are following this string - Nastar has a Boarder division that is empty.  I am sure that it would be easy to qualify and go to this huge party!!

If it were only that easy, the money/time is a bigger issue than trying to actually make it (though I don't think I would have qualified with my times on sun).

Qualify? I qualified after my first RUN at Montage I think :lol: Yea, it's not that hard. But it's unfathomable to think that some of these guys can find SO much time. At Tanglwood, in an almost 30 second course for Ski999 and I, people are running it in 24 seconds. On something as straight as a NASTAR, even though ASRA wasn't THAT much more offset, I can't see how you could lay an arc over like these guys do, cause the turns aren't that tight. I don't get it. I don't know how i'm going to make my next step to improve? I'd rather be last in the Expert division in the state, then first in the intermediate division.

Hey, Dthmtl, I was looking for you at CB today. I thought you were always there...

As far as qualifying, anyone can go to NASTAR Nationals if they've raced in a single race then call or email NASTAR and request a discretionary spot. NASTAR does not turn away entry fees.

Firstly, waist steering is not taught by any national teams. What I get out of his long rambles is that it's the opposite of counter rotation. Counter rotation is when you are at the gate, your upper body is turned away from the gate, as if you are giving it a hip check. 'Dude might call it "waving to the woods."

Waist steering is is the movement of the hips through the turn. I'm waiting to hear Dranow explain how it's more just one of many methods a racer needs. It seems to work for Dranow on basic NASTAR courses, but fell apart for him during Masters races.

I agree,  Since I have never raced, I think it would be "fun" to use the handicap system just to improve my skiing next year.  Yeah its not as difficult as the  World Cup down hill in Switzerland, but who cares..  I don't. The Nastar program is fun - all that FIS USSA ASRA whatever just doesn't seem like as much "FUN"

NASTAR is about money. USSA is about learning. ASRA is about fun. FIS is about fame and chicks. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, Dthmtl, I was looking for you at CB today. I thought you were always there...

I really wanted to be there, and I planned on spending a long day there today, but I'm still pretty beat up after ONE fall I took at bear on sat. My right knees feels really bad. Every time I walk it feels like im landing from three feet up and my knees are locked, and thats just walking, I can only imagine how riding would feel. My shoulder also feels pretty messed up. I'm going to be there thur, and if I'm lucky I'll make it up fri as well. Sorry you missed me. I felt missing a day at the end of the season, but I figured spending a day in pain, even if it is at the mountain, isn't any fun.

ASRA is much much different then USSA/FIS. I have to admit, ASRA was tons fun, and the people there seemed great. Too bad I didn't stick around do see the obnoxious Stockli rep pounding beers and yelling out obscense language :lol: . Anyway, NASTAR is great to see your improvment, as you said. But like the one guy running low teen handicaps on sunday said "there isn't anything technical, that's about as fast as anyone can go". Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather be crankin a turn out of my tuck the WHOLE course, rather then in it the whole time. Too bad they canceled the ASRA dual GS at Blue, though i hear from Ski999 mtn creek's is even tighter. I just think my turn shapes would fare more competitivly on a tighter course, though we shall see.

However, I do need to find a way to find more freakin time. Skidude flat out hauls even with a sweat shirt on, and with his jacket on. It probably comes partly from experience, but I just don't know how to make up time, yet. ;)

I really wanted to be there, and I planned on spending a long day there today, but I'm still pretty beat up after ONE fall I took at bear on sat. My right knees feels really bad. Every time I walk it feels like im landing from three feet up and my knees are locked, and thats just walking, I can only imagine how riding would feel. My shoulder also feels pretty messed up. I'm going to be there thur, and if I'm lucky I'll make it up fri as well. Sorry you missed me. I felt missing a day at the end of the season, but I figured spending a day in pain, even if it is at the mountain, isn't any fun.

If it's not pouring, I'll be there Friday.

the 40th ranked snowboarder in the 15-16 age group (Zaldon's age group) ran a 47 handicap. Glenn and Derrick at least, were right around there, if not under...but i haven't see the stats for the 17-20 age group....i think if you goto BC on the right night, you could get a nice low HC.

the 40th ranked snowboarder in the 15-16 age group (Zaldon's age group) ran a 47 handicap.  Glenn and Derrick at least, were right around there, if not under...but i haven't see the stats for the 17-20 age group....i think if you goto BC on the right night, you could get a nice low HC.

I think we were in the 30's, but I could be wrong.

I think we were in the 30's, but I could be wrong.

come to think of it, yea, i think you were. Results should be up tonight. Mark, the GM, said he finally could connect to the DB, he said he uploaded them, but maybe after tonight's NASTAR, we'll see the results.